View Full Version : Must I post to stay a member

OzHobo
26-10-2011, 10:37pm
Hello all
I joined this forum some time back but was archived because I didnt post.
Must I post to stay alive here??
I joined so I could learn - not sure I can post anything worthwhile.
R:(

ricktas
27-10-2011, 6:53am
Yes and No. We do not close accounts/remove accounts/ban members unless there is a reason. However, what does happen is that we reward active posting members with full access to the site. So those that are not regular active posting members, have some access and functionality removed. After all, this site is a FORUM (meaning a place of interaction). So if you want to get the most from the site, you have to be interactive with the other members, regularly.

And the inactive status is cyclic. In that the first time you get 90 days access before you go inactive, then when you reactivate (by posting again, like you did with this thread), the cycle is reset to 60 days, then 30 days, then 15 days. So each time someone posts, and then stops again, the time till you go inactive and lose some access, reduces, eventually you would have to post at least once every week to keep full access to the site. Then if you remain active for 6 months, the inactive cycle resets to 90 days again.

Ausphotography is free, you don't pay a cent to use it and as you have said, you joined to learn, so you are getting a lot of great information for Free, and all we ask is that in return you give us something back. Like posting some photos for critique, critiquing a few other members photos. All it takes to remain active is a bit of participation..not a lot to ask?

So show us some of your photos, cause surely you have taken some since joining last November, and guess what, you might just get some advice that helps you get what you want from the site..some learning!

It is up to you, but being a regular active forum member will give you the best experience of the site. If this is not for you, then I think you have joined the wrong site.

inplace
27-10-2011, 8:47am
Good post Rick, I was interested to know how the inactivity worked, in my case I need to stop my work from getting in the way of my photography :)

OzHobo
27-10-2011, 9:23am
Thanks Rick for your reply - it is appreciated.
As a beginning digital photographer I have a lot to learn and it seems to have be developing as a passion.
I appreciate the critique that will be made of my photos but first of all I have to build up my confidence to provide something worthwhile.
This website is fantastic and the photos generally so professional. I guess i can appraise other photos until that confidence is created in my abilities.
Thanks again for the reply
Reg :)

kiwi
27-10-2011, 9:51am
I think there is nothing to fear and a huge amount to learn by posting pics as soon as possible

MattNQ
27-10-2011, 10:42am
Reg,
Take it from someone who has had a DSLR for only about a year now - It is easy to be over-awed by the amazing images posted here. Some days I look at them & think I might as well give up now, but I eventually get over it and just head out to take more pics
To get something worthwhile, pick a genre you like. Read the tutorials here. Have a look at how others approach composition & settings (send them a PM if not confident asking in open forum) Go out & take a few shots . Post your best, (or post your worst & ask what you did wrong:D)
I am yet to see any learners here cut down - the CC is good natured, useful and will guide you in the right direction.
Matt

Tikira
27-10-2011, 11:17am
Please don't feel intimidated here on AP. There really are all levels of photographers here, and I personally have seen many people improve quickly by posting images and taking the feedback given on board and learning from it. We are all here for the love of our hobby, and everybody has something they need to practice, so go ahead, the first one is the hardest- honestly

Di

Kym
27-10-2011, 11:49am
Everyone has something worthwhile to post, even if it is just questions!
Any question posted has been thought about by at least 10 others who did not ask it.

Posting images for CC is the best and fastest way to learn.
Once you get some feedback you will start to see things differently and be able to CC others images.

In fact, CCing other work is a great way to learn.

OzHobo
27-10-2011, 4:58pm
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks!
Will keep this in mind and see how it develops (sorry about the pun - but that was yester year)
Reg

Davimin
30-10-2011, 7:16am
Thanks for the post Rick, I was wondering too.