PDA

View Full Version : Which Point and Shoot?

Pine
06-09-2011, 4:49pm
My wife Cilla is due for a camera upgrade.

It needs to be small enough to go into her handbag and should take great photos.

I have narrowed it down to a Sony Cybershot HX9 but am not sure if that is the best choice.

Please advise :o

Regards

Gemini2261
06-09-2011, 5:00pm
I guess it does depend on what one wants to spend. If I were to buy a P&S I would buy the Canon G12... unbelievable colour & performance in low light... takes a wonderful photo and has creative feature too. I believe it is one of the more weighty ones tho. :th3:

Pine
06-09-2011, 5:18pm
I guess it does depend on what one wants to spend. If I were to buy a P&S I would buy the Canon G12... unbelievable colour & performance in low light... takes a wonderful photo and has creative feature too. I believe it is one of the more weighty ones tho. :th3:

Hi
I agree that the G12 is a great camera but it just to big for a light carry around.

Money is not the consideration satisfying Cilla is more important as she is special.:cool:

Regards

doppelganger
06-09-2011, 5:39pm
Hi
I agree that the G12 is a great camera but it just to big for a light carry around.

Money is not the consideration satisfying Cilla is more important as she is special.:cool:

Regards

I'm not up with the latest point and shoot, so can't really comment.
If a may comment on your statement: Money is not the consideration satisfying Cilla is more important as she is special , ............ what a lovely thing to say,I tip my hat to you sir.

Steve

junqbox
06-09-2011, 6:15pm
I too would recomend the G12, having just bought one for my wife, but understand the rest of the broader brief. I think the P7000 (G12 'equivalent') is a little less bulky.
Given the many million of variations you can get into when comparing all the other P&S, you might do your head a favour and just get a mobile phone with a decent camera in it.

KeeFy
06-09-2011, 8:15pm
s95 shares pretty much everything similar to the G12 except for certain controls. And it's more pocketable.

Fuji x10 is on the horizon and promises to be a solid camera. $700 estimate street price if you can get your hands on it.

Leica D-lux 5 is also an awesome camera. $800 online.

Max
06-09-2011, 9:11pm
Have a look at the Canon S95, we have one and its a great camera in a small package.

Pine
07-09-2011, 12:01am
I'm not up with the latest point and shoot, so can't really comment.
If a may comment on your statement: Money is not the consideration satisfying Cilla is more important as she is special , ............ what a lovely thing to say,I tip my hat to you sir.

Steve

After 40 years of marraige one realizes who is really important in your life :cool:

Thanks for your comment.

Regards

Pine
07-09-2011, 12:04am
I too would recomend the G12, having just bought one for my wife, but understand the rest of the broader brief. I think the P7000 (G12 'equivalent') is a little less bulky.
Given the many million of variations you can get into when comparing all the other P&S, you might do your head a favour and just get a mobile phone with a decent camera in it.

I have the G9 and if it was for myself would have gone for the G12.
Thanks for that will look in to the P7000 :th3:

Regards

Pine
07-09-2011, 12:08am
s95 shares pretty much everything similar to the G12 except for certain controls. And it's more pocketable.

Fuji x10 is on the horizon and promises to be a solid camera. $700 estimate street price if you can get your hands on it.

Leica D-lux 5 is also an awesome camera. $800 online.

Was considering the S95 and will look at it again.

I have a cheap Fuji for work and am suprised how well it take photos.

Thanks Keefy will look into the cameras mentioned.

Regards

Pine
07-09-2011, 12:10am
Have a look at the Canon S95, we have one and its a great camera in a small package.

Thank you for the S95 recommendation will look at it again. :th3:

Regards

N*A*M
08-09-2011, 2:23pm
i had an s95, lost it, and bought a new one. that should say a lot coming from a nikon shooter.
i know my wife likes to use it and it's very easy to control.

i was waiting for an olympus xz-1 update model - mainly for the lens, but the current price of an s95 makes it very good value for money.

Pine
09-09-2011, 3:05am
Thanks for that buying 2 x S95 is really a good recommendation.
The reviews also speak well of the camera.

Regards

TOM
10-09-2011, 9:48am
By P&S, I assume you mean a compact camera? Look at a M4/3rds camera. They are only slightly larger than an average compact, yet produce IQ that can rival, or beat much larger cameras, in certain situations.

KeeFy
10-09-2011, 4:38pm
He said a G12 is too big? Is there a M4/3 smaller than a G12?

TOM
10-09-2011, 9:04pm
ah, well picked up Keefy, I missed that.