PDA

View Full Version : Is this the result of a cheap filter?

AnzacPride
04-09-2011, 10:41pm
I was taking a few shots with my new lens(Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS HSM) and am very happy with the results so far, I was taking a few shots of Ollie and Banjo in the late afternoon the other day and noticed a light area in the bottom left hand corner.
I was shooting with the sun behind and to the right of Ollie so the lens flare was expected but am wondering if this effect at the bottom left of the images was caused by the cheap Inca UV filter I was using at the time? If this is the case can anyone recommend some reasonable filters to protect my lenses?

Cheers Dan

mudman
04-09-2011, 10:53pm
i would suggest it's lens flare. try similar light set up without the filter and see if result is similar to this.
cheers

AnzacPride
04-09-2011, 11:03pm
Cheers I'll give it a try, I had my lens hood on at the time but the sun was at a pretty low angle

JM Tran
04-09-2011, 11:06pm
lens flare is much more pronounced by the use of cheap filters in front of the lens - I would dare say the Tamron lens without the cheap filter in front of it would have handled the flare better!

WhoDo
04-09-2011, 11:11pm
Most here have little good to say about UV filters of any type and price. You may have been better served by a nice Circular Polarising Light (CPL) filter instead. That will still help to give you the richer colouring of a UV filter and also cut down on stray reflected light at the same time. I hope that helps.:)

AnzacPride
04-09-2011, 11:17pm
Sorry JM but Im not sure what you mean,
Are you saying that the Tamron handles flare better vs the Sigma? From all the research I did (which was a lot) the Sigma seemed to be the better lens of the two both from a flare perspective and in all round performance.

AnzacPride
04-09-2011, 11:26pm
Whodo I am using the filter mainly to protect the lens, What would you suggest from a purely protective prospective?

Stingray
04-09-2011, 11:29pm
Hi Dan
Had a similar issue (not with lens flare) but was trying to figure out why almost all of my shots werent as detailed as I was expecting, then had a "Doh" moment .. and removed the cheap UV filter i had purchased to give a little "protection" to my nice (new back then) 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM .. and now pics are much more detailed :)

WhoDo
04-09-2011, 11:37pm
Whodo I am using the filter mainly to protect the lens, What would you suggest from a purely protective prospective?
I'd suggest you read this thread on UV filters (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?63081-My-take-on-the-use-of-UV-filters) before using them. I had one UV filter for every lens and they all now sit useless in their cases at the bottom of my Lowpro backpack. A good solid lens cap and a reasonable amount of care and cleaning will do more for protecting your valuable lenses than a UV filter, as the referenced link will show. ;)

KevPride
05-09-2011, 12:06am
All they do is collect dust & create flare - as WhoDo suggests better to simply take care with cleaning & a sound lens cap.

AnzacPride
05-09-2011, 12:06am
Thanks Whodo,
I have just read the thread you linked to and found it very informative.
I think I have been a bit paranoid about my lenses since putting a slight scratch on my kit 18-55 when I first got it whilst cleaning it.

bushbikie
05-09-2011, 12:07am
^ +1 - I'd also suggest that you use a lens hood for a bit of extra protection as well.

JM Tran
05-09-2011, 12:41am
Sorry JM but Im not sure what you mean,
Are you saying that the Tamron handles flare better vs the Sigma? From all the research I did (which was a lot) the Sigma seemed to be the better lens of the two both from a flare perspective and in all round performance.

Sorry I should have wrote Sigma, not Tamron.

Im saying that the lens alone would have handled less flare without the UV filter on, than with it on as seen in the photo.

AnzacPride
05-09-2011, 10:17pm
No worries JM,
I went out this afternoon and left the filters off with much better results. Thanks for the advice folks

Cheers Dan