PDA

View Full Version : 30D to 7D upgrade..Should I?

macdog
21-08-2011, 12:43pm
I'm sure a similar topic has been posted before but this is really getting to me Haha :scrtch:
I bought the 30D when it first came out and it's treated me pretty well (my first ever real DSLR), nothing really wrong with it, but I have enough money in the bank and I'm just feeling like an upgrade...Is it worth it??
If I do buy it I'll prob buy another lens for longer portrait shots and maybe a second flash as well

triptych
21-08-2011, 12:48pm
If you feel you have used the 30D to its full potential and you want to upgrade then sure, go the 7D. But if you are happy with it, maybe invest in some good quality glass instead.

William
21-08-2011, 1:11pm
:umm: My 30D has served me well, Untill it breaks I think I'll still use it , Would be nice to have a Cam that could handle higher ISO speeds though :( It still takes a really good image so long as you dont want to start taking Bill Board sized images to be printed

KeeFy
21-08-2011, 6:15pm
Depends on what do you shoot mostly. Do you need the FPS? If not the 60D may be better suited for you and the savings put towards better glass as the 60D and 7D have pretty identical sensors.

macdog
21-08-2011, 8:24pm
Yeah I have a surfing waterhousing that I would use it with (FPS), although it might not fit it so might need to sell it and get a new one....ugh.
I probably should get better lenses first and a second flash.. But I just want it all, its so old the 30d now haha

jafin
21-08-2011, 8:36pm
It would be a decent leap, considering a moderate leap would be the 60. What sort of lens upgrades are you considering? I get all gooey with new lenses, I feel they sometimes revitalise old bodies.... Mind you new bodies never hurts, but I was impressed when I went from a 50/1.8 to to using a 85/1.8 for portraits of the kids... It was in some cases night and day difference, yet same body... In the end I guess you decide whats your pain point and try to fix that first.

Allan Ryan
21-08-2011, 8:42pm
maybe a 70-200 L instead ?
really depends what you like to shoot
if you can borrow a good lens or the 7D to try then maybe you decision would be easy :)
or buy both :th3:

Woody08
21-08-2011, 8:48pm
Hello Macdog,

I've just bought a 7D to upgrade from my 450D. It's a very steep learning curve and although I've only done one serious shoot, I'm vey disappointed with my efforts so far. The 7D is a great camera, so I'm not blaming that, but beware that the changeover will not be seamless.

I'm in the shire too, so we may catch up some day.

Cheers,

John W:)

carrg1954
22-08-2011, 8:47pm
Go for it. Sometimes it is better to upgrade the camera.

macdog
23-08-2011, 8:40am
Would love to get a 70-200L (soo expensive) or something fast in the range of 28-100. Ive got the crappy 28-135 which I really want to replace. I think ive started leaning towards the lens option but the 7d is o so appealing.

For sure woody, what do you usually shoot?

CarlR
23-08-2011, 9:45am
If you have to ask.....

Notwithstanding, I'd go the lens route.

davearnold
23-08-2011, 10:14am
Hello Macdog,

I've just bought a 7D to upgrade from my 450D. It's a very steep learning curve and although I've only done one serious shoot, I'm vey disappointed with my efforts so far. The 7D is a great camera, so I'm not blaming that, but beware that the changeover will not be seamless.

John W:)

Ditto, went from 450D to 7D , steep learning curve, defiantey a better camera does not make you a better photographer.

Good glass improves the images from any body.

Saying that, i would not undo what i did, having a more complex camera, MAKES you learn more !

Cheers Dave

Butts
23-08-2011, 10:40am
Yeah I have a surfing waterhousing that I would use it with (FPS), although it might not fit it so might need to sell it and get a new one....ugh.
I probably should get better lenses first and a second flash.. But I just want it all, its so old the 30d now haha
Macdog, what waterhousing are you using?

KeeFy
23-08-2011, 11:52am
It takes a while to setup a 7D to your preference and to learn how to use it as well.

Personally i like better glass as well.

If you want to try out the 7D and 70-200 f2.8 II let me know... i'm located near the city center. :)

crum
23-08-2011, 11:53am
I went for a 400D to a 7D and certainly do not regret it at all. Even the "feel" of the camera is far superior. But as the others have said quality glass is far more important than a good body for taking better photos

Bennymiata
23-08-2011, 3:38pm
If you don't require 7fps and a super-fast tracking focus, you'll get exactly the same quality of photo with a 60D as you will with a 7D.
The 5.3fps of the 60D is quite enough for most of us anyway.
Same sensor, same processor and the 60D has a tiltable screen, which is VERY handy for many situations, and the 60D will save you money and for 99% of your probable uses, will give the same result.
Unless you are trecking through rough country all the time, the metal body of the 7D is also wasted, and personally, I prefer a good plastic body over a metal one, as the metal ones get scratched and dented (I've had a few so I know).
Save a bit on the body, and put the rest into good glass.

Just my 2c worth.

macdog
30-08-2011, 1:36pm
Macdog, what waterhousing are you using?

How the heck did you drown 3 cameras? What are you using a fishing net as housing :p
I'm using an SPL waterhousing and its been tough as S*&$ for the 4yrs or so I've had it. Rock solid. Have a look at aquatechs and theres also a couple more good 'commercial' brands out there.

Looks like the word is to put priority into new glass first, probably the smarter option. Then maybe a second flash and then the 7D shortly after, I just got a new job so I'll prob just end up buying it all soon enough :p Im sure it will also reinvigorate my love for photography haha

Butts
30-08-2011, 2:18pm
How the heck did you drown 3 cameras? What are you using a fishing net as housing :p
I'm using an SPL waterhousing and its been tough as S*&$ for the 4yrs or so I've had it. Rock solid. Have a look at aquatechs and theres also a couple more good 'commercial' brands out there.

He he he, fishing nets!! Ha! As for housings for me, nah don't need advice.
With regards to your SPL, I think you'll find the dimensions of the 7D (as opposed to the 30D) will mean you'll most likely have to sell it. Check with Sean, he may be able to do something.

I agree with the others though, glass is the way to go. :-)

macdog
30-08-2011, 5:14pm
Yeah that was also another factor I've had to consider, I don't think it would fit in its depth I thik i worked out a while ago...anyways...
I had a quick go of 7d today took, some quick test shots, very quick test mind you didnt really go into anything but from the look of he photos I took and all the extra bits of the 7d I think new Lenses is definately the way to go! There's just not enough reason yet to go the upgrade besides image quality and 7fps and HD video (which I would probably hardly use anyways).

Looks like its a second flash and lenses that I'll be getting :)

thelastname
31-08-2011, 5:50pm
I was losing faith in Canon with the noise issues after going from the 30D to the 40D. After purchasing the 7D my faith has been restored, and I see no reason to replace the 7D as it is the best camera I have ever owned.

Since I purchased the 7D my focus has turned to L series glass and I have purchased the 24-105mm f4L IS and 70-200mm f4L IS.