PDA

View Full Version : Do all Canon lenses fit all Canon DSLR's?

enVision
17-08-2011, 6:03pm
As the title says, I'm interested to know whether all the Canon lenses will fit onto any Canon DSLR body. Simplest example question I can think of is will an 'L' series lens fit onto my 500D? ALso, what about EF and EF-S lenses? Do they fit onto anything from a 500D to the 5D MKII or the 1D?

Reason why I ask is that I"m starting to think a bit more seriously about purchasing some glass. I think it would be better for me to do that than upgrade the camera body. So I don't want to buy a lens and have it not fit onto my 500D. Similarly, I don't want to buy a lens, and upon upgrading the camera body, have the lens not fit with the new body.

I've tried searching the web, with no luck, or I'm blind. Either one.

William
17-08-2011, 6:15pm
Simple answer, The EF-S series wont fit on a full frame body , All the L Glass will fit a 550D , Crop senser will accept both EF and EF-S Lens :)

Xenedis
17-08-2011, 6:25pm
EF lenses will work with any Canon SLR or DSLR.

EF-S lenses will not work with:

any EOS film camera;
EOS D30 (very old DSLR);
EOS D60 (also very old; not to be confused with the 60D);
EOS 10D (pre-dates the 300D);
EOS 5D (and successors); and
EOS 1D/1Ds (and successors).

enVision
17-08-2011, 6:31pm
So it's fair to say that the 500D is compatible with all Canon lenses, and that the 5D MKII can not take any EF-S lenses. So, in that case, it's smarter to save the funds and looks at L series isn't it? (excluding all other branded lenses for the moment).

Xenedis
17-08-2011, 6:39pm
So it's fair to say that the 500D is compatible with all Canon lenses

All Canon EF and EF-S lenses, yes.

the 5D MKII can not take any EF-S lenses

Correct.

So, in that case, it's smarter to save the funds and looks at L series isn't it? (excluding all other branded lenses for the moment).

That's not an easy question to answer, as it depends on what you want/need, whether you'll stay with APS-C or move to full-frame, and how much you're willing and able to spend on lenses.

BecdS
17-08-2011, 6:40pm
A pro friend of mine mentioned to me some time ago that he had been picking up lenses secondhand and mounting them with some kind of adaptor. I had meant to ask here, but this seems like the perfect thread.

Does anyone know about these adaptors and what their limitations are?

enVision
17-08-2011, 7:02pm
All Canon EF and EF-S lenses, yes.

...and L series, right?

William
17-08-2011, 7:13pm
...and L series, right?

Yes , Correct

Xenedis
17-08-2011, 7:27pm
...and L series, right?

L-series lenses are EF lenses aimed at the premium/professional end of the market.

Mark L
17-08-2011, 9:30pm
Similarly, I don't want to buy a lens, and upon upgrading the camera body, have the lens not fit with the new body.

If this is so, steer away from EF-S. As has been said EF and L :th3: for everything.

jjphoto
17-08-2011, 10:03pm
A pro friend of mine mentioned to me some time ago that he had been picking up lenses secondhand and mounting them with some kind of adaptor. I had meant to ask here, but this seems like the perfect thread.

Does anyone know about these adaptors and what their limitations are?

I wrote this a few weeks ago and haven't really finished it as it needs a few photo's to illustrate various aspects but it's online now anyway. I'll add some images when I get a chance.

It's "Alternative, Legacy or Manual Focus lenses, an overview" (http://photocornucopia.com/1027.html) which essentially tries to answer your questions.

JJ

enVision
18-08-2011, 4:12pm
Thanks for the info. Definitely helped my decision making.

Allan Ryan
19-08-2011, 8:03pm
EF-S lenses are made for Crop sensor cameras. Any canon camera with more than one digit, though 7D is the exception being a croped sensor.
I think many people will never upgrade to a full frame. And lenses hold their value very well, so don't worry about it too much just buy the lens you want and have fun :)

Xenedis
20-08-2011, 8:50am
EF-S lenses are made for Crop sensor cameras.

They're designed for Canon's DSLRs whose sensor is APS-C in size, but there are some notable exceptions:

EOS D30
EOS D60
EOS 10D

The 300D was the first camera to support EF-S lenses.

These are all quite old, so the OP is unlikely to encounter them.

William W
24-08-2011, 10:28pm
I read Xenedis's first post and chose not to comment: but I think it is best to clarify what the EF / EF-S is all about.

To be absolutely clear “EF-S” and “EF” designate the DIFFERENT Lens Mounts, within the EOS RANGE.

In the EOS RANGE there are TWO Lens Mounts: "EF" and "EF-S"

“EF-S” Lenses will ONLY mount on EOS cameras which have (accept) the EF-S mount.

It is not a matter of these EF-S lenses “not working on” – in fact they do not mount on cameras which do not accept the EF-S Mount, as the EF-S bayonet mount is DIFFERENT to the “EF” mount.

The EOS Cameras, which accept the EF-S mount are designated by the WHITE SQUARE (**) mounting alignment indicator on the Camera Body –it is a little away from the RED DOT which is the EF MOUNT alignment indicator. (and the EF-S lens has the White Square also, obviously).

There is sometimes confusion caused by relating this factor of Lens Mount to camera format such as “crop cameras”; or camera type, like “Prosumer” “Professioanl” etc.

The EOS Cameras which accept the EF-S lens mount are (at the time of writing) limited:

ONLY EOS DSLR Cameras with an APS-C format sensor AND
released including and AFTER the Model 300D (and all that lineage) AND
released including and AFTER the 20D (and all that lineage) AND
the 7D

Certainly the earlier models of EOS APS-C cameras are becoming less frequently quoted and used, but it is still important to clarify that the EF-S is a Lens Mount Designation and not simply bandy about phrases similar to: “EF-S lenses are for Canon crop cameras” or "EF-S fits canon consumer cameras", etc.
Such statements are incorrect, in the sense that:

> EF-S mount does NOT mount to any APS-H format cameras.
> the earlier EOS Digital APS-C cameras (e.g. the 10D, D60 and D30) will not accept the EF-S mount;
> nor will any of the EOS Film Cameras accept EF-S mount.

(**) Here:

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/14062073-lg.jpg

There is further confusion relating third party lenses which have a smaller (APS-C) Image Circle to be the same as the EF-S lenses: this too is incorrect.

As far as I am aware (at the time of writing) all third party APS-C image circle lenses (e.g. the Tamron 17 to 50/2.8) are ALL “EF” mount and therefore will “work on” a 5D (for example), because those lenses will mount (it is all about the lens mount).

However because such lenses have a smaller image circle, they will optically vignette.

WW

dannat
27-08-2011, 7:34pm
I agree William the non canon lenses are EF & the glass is not physically made to cover full frame chips, though I don't see vignette on my 1.3x chip on a tokina digital only ( aps-c chips) lens

William W
28-08-2011, 5:54am
I agree William the non canon lenses are EF & the glass is not physically made to cover full frame chips, though I don't see vignette on my 1.3x chip on a tokina digital only ( aps-c chips) lens

Ah! This might be the point you are making.

I wrote:

"As far as I am aware (at the time of writing) all third party APS-C image circle lenses (e.g. the Tamron 17 to 50/2.8) are ALL “EF” mount and therefore will “work on” a 5D (for example), because those lenses will mount (it is all about the lens mount).

However because such lenses have a smaller image circle, they will optically vignette."

The last sentence is incorrect and should read:

However because such lenses have a smaller image circle, they might optically vignette.

Thank you for picking me up on that error.

However, I am now really curious as to which lens it is, as I haven't found one yet that dosen't show more than "expected" vignette.

What Tokina lens is it?

Would you be so kind as to post a sample FULL FRAME image of the clear blue sky; shot at the lens's largest aperture; and if it is a zoom lens at the lens's widest FL?

WW