PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Button not working

wideangle
13-08-2011, 7:32pm
I was out taking some photos today when my shutter button didn't respond! I can turn the camera on OK and all the other buttons work fine for looking at photos and changing options etc, expect for
the shutter button. Interestingly when you review photos and press the shutter button it still turns off the back screen. It's only when trying to shoot that it doesn't work.

Can anyone let me know if they have had similar experiences and if this is likely to be a shutter issue or a mirror issue?

Does anybody know what you would be looking at to get it repaired?

phild
13-08-2011, 7:43pm
The immediate thought that comes to mind is that the shutter mechanism has stopped working. Does a half press on te button activate AF etc??

wideangle
13-08-2011, 7:45pm
The immediate thought that comes to mind is that the shutter mechanism has stopped working. Does a half press on te button activate AF etc??

I didn't check if the red buttons illuminate the AF Phil. When I press half way when reviewing images on the back of screen the shutter is responsive. Any idea on how much it would cost to get the shutter mechanism replaced if that's what it is?

OzzieTraveller
13-08-2011, 7:48pm
G'day WA

Lots of possibilities here mate ...
As the pressing of the shutter button controls a myriad of sequential events, it is near impossible to give a categorical yes/no to anything
So - sorry to say ... it seems like a job for the Canon repair centre to examine & quote on :( :(

Regards, Phil

wideangle
13-08-2011, 7:50pm
G'day WA

Lots of possibilities here mate ...
As the pressing of the shutter button controls a myriad of sequential events, it is near impossible to give a categorical yes/no to anything
So - sorry to say ... it seems like a job for the Canon repair centre to examine & quote on :( :(

Regards, Phil

Yes, your thoughts are what I have been thinking as well, just wondering how much it would be and if it would be worth the repair compared to just getting another camera.

MarkChap
13-08-2011, 7:53pm
wild guess, left field - Check that you have not knocked the AF/MF switch on the lens. If the lens is set to MF (manual focus) the camera won't achieve focus and therefore will not take an image.

Old Skool
13-08-2011, 7:59pm
What model Camera is it, 50D and earlier have this as an issue. Will half press but not take the photo. Do a Google on 50D shutter button issues.
I sent my 50D to canon and they repaired it twice under warranty, camera back in a week each time. Otherwise if you are keen fix it yourself see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWGScQeC5g

wideangle
13-08-2011, 8:03pm
wild guess, left field - Check that you have not knocked the AF/MF switch on the lens. If the lens is set to MF (manual focus) the camera won't achieve focus and therefore will not take an image.

Yeah checked this, but when the lens is in MF, it will take a shot regardless, just may be out of focus as it isn't auto-focused.

wideangle
13-08-2011, 8:04pm
What model Camera is it, 50D and earlier have this as an issue. Will half press but not take the photo. Do a Google on 50D shutter button issues.
I sent my 50D to canon and they repaired it twice under warranty, camera back in a week each time. Otherwise if you are keen fix it yourself see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWGScQeC5g

Thanks for your feedback, seems like an issue that happens to quite a few then.

JM Tran
13-08-2011, 8:08pm
Thanks for your feedback, seems like an issue that happens to quite a few then.

its a common occurrence on the older 40D too from my experiences

GTP 290
14-08-2011, 3:21pm
Can you take a picture with the lens set to manual focus? If so you may have an autofocus problem which could be lens or body related. It may even be something as easy as cleaning the contacts between the body and lens.

wideangle
14-08-2011, 4:31pm
Can you take a picture with the lens set to manual focus? If so you may have an autofocus problem which could be lens or body related. It may even be something as easy as cleaning the contacts between the body and lens.

Nope cannot take photos when the lens is set to manual focus.

wideangle
14-08-2011, 8:04pm

Would have thought that the camera would show up something like "error 99" if there was an error with dirty contacts. Thanks for the suggestion.

wideangle
15-08-2011, 5:55pm
Back from the dead! OK I have no idea what's happening, but now the camera's shutter is working again. I took the battery in and out and it still didn't work, then moment later it did??!!:umm:

bricat
16-08-2011, 6:31am
You do have the latest software updates?

wideangle
16-08-2011, 5:55pm
You do have the latest software updates?

The same that came with the camera, and it had been working fine over the 6 years of its life so cannot imagine it would be related to software related updates. Still wondering if it's just a button issue, getting stuck and then coming back to life and slowly getting more stuck over time.

Bennymiata
17-08-2011, 3:18pm
I have often found that with modern electronic devices that they get locked up occasionally for no good reason.
Phones, cameras, computers - you name it.

I have found that a good way to get the device to re-boot is to remove the battery while the device is still switched on, wait 10 or seconds, then put the battery back in and switch the device on.
Works at least 90% of the time.