PDA

View Full Version : Any idea - AEB is playing up

Scotty72
23-07-2011, 3:45pm
I am not sure if this is:
a) a camera issue;
b) a canon issue; or
c) something weird I have done

At times, when I try to use the AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) feature on my 7d. Occasionally, the menu system wont let me set this (that feature is greyed out as though it is not available)

As best I can figure, this happens only when the 24-105L is attached - and only about 50-60% of the time.

I can't figure out another reason that contributes.

It NEVER happens with any other lens - EVER.

Is there some issue with the lens that may stop the camera from going into AEB mode - I never knew it mattered as AEB varies the shutter speed (nothing to do with the lens).

Other than this, the lens is working perfectly (so far - touches wood)

Any ideas?

Tannin
23-07-2011, 4:26pm
There are several weird-seeming things that prevent AEB from operating, if my memory serves correctly, Scotty. I think one of them is highlight tone priority, and there were a couple of others. Are you using the exact same camera settings with the 24-105 as with your other lenses?

Scotty72
23-07-2011, 5:12pm
There are several weird-seeming things that prevent AEB from operating, if my memory serves correctly, Scotty. I think one of them is highlight tone priority, and there were a couple of others. Are you using the exact same camera settings with the 24-105 as with your other lenses?

Yep. I can be in the middle of a shoot, have another lens on shooting with AEB.

Turn off camera; change lens to 24-105, turn back on and, when I try to turn AEB back on (it resets when turned off) = no dice. Even if I leave the power on when changing lenses = no deal. :(

And, as I shoot RAW, I've not changed any of those types of settings :th3:

Tannin
24-07-2011, 3:35pm
Ouch! Have you cleaned your contacts?

Scotty72
24-07-2011, 3:52pm
Yep. Sure have.

The 24-105 is coping some bad raps lately:p.

I can't work out why this would be the case. I didn't think the camera cared about the lens as far as AEB was concerned.

In fact, just now, I removed the lens (so - no lens attached), set the AEB, took three exposures (no so sharp :th3:).

So, without a lens the AEB works.

Why the 24-105 interfers with this (sometimes) is a real :scrtch:

Tannin
24-07-2011, 4:29pm
I'm out of clues, mate. Time to visit Canon, I think.

Scotty72
24-07-2011, 5:23pm
I'm out of clues, mate. Time to visit Canon, I think.

I'm not going anywhere near those [self-edited - maybe I said 'angels'] if I can help it.

It may be coincidence - it may be a sign the lens is 'near its time'. Who knows but, otherwise, it is working fab.

Scotty

Tannin
24-07-2011, 5:30pm
I have sent stuff to Canon in Sydney several times, Scotty, and have always had prompt, courteous, effective service to my complete satisfaction. Every single time. I could wish that it was cheaper, but when was that ever untrue? They do a great job in my (not insignificant) experience.

Scotty72
24-07-2011, 5:32pm
Glad YOU have :th3:

Scotty72
03-08-2011, 6:26pm
I think I may have solved this mystery...

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?87512-quot-My-24-105-f4-L-Died&p=894388#post894388

very annoyed :angry0: