PDA

View Full Version : Autofocus problems on Canon 10-22mm

AdventureLife
23-07-2011, 1:07pm
Hi,

I have the Canon 10-22mm lens. I love it for the new dimension it adds to scenic photos, but if I use autofocus I can never get a clear shot. I know most people will probably say I should just manual focus, but none of my other lenses have this problem on autofocus. I'm just wondering is that a function of a bad lens, or is it the fact that as its so wide it finds it hard to focus? I'm using it on a Canon 550D.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Tannin
23-07-2011, 1:22pm
Something is wrong. The Canon EF-S 10-22 has excellent autofocus, clearly superior to any non-USM lens in the stable. If your other lenses AF OK, then the 10-22 is faulty and needs to be sent back under warranty. You should expect your 10-22 to AF as well as your 24-105 or your 100-400, and better than your 50/1.8.

dulvariprestige
23-07-2011, 1:25pm
A couple of examples showing your problem would help,

This is the one lens I've never had any focusing problems with, even wide open at it's MFD it hits it's mark every time.

crafty1tutu
26-07-2011, 2:38pm
I have this lens and have never had any problems with the AF - super fast and smooth.

arthurking83
26-07-2011, 3:34pm
A couple of examples showing your problem would help,.......

Always!!!

It's strange to think, but 9/10 times it's user error, but with the condition that the user doesn't fully undersand the underlying inner workings of the camera's focusing system.

With a sample image or two, and a 100% crop of the focus area, we can see if there is a user made error(in expectation) or if there is any issue with the camera/lens ability to focus accurately.