PDA

View Full Version : how much differance

fjoe45
11-07-2011, 5:00pm
Whats the differance between the Canon EF-S18-55 F/4-5.6 and the Sigma 17-55 F/2.8. Will the Sigma take better shots in the way of picture quality and such. :confused013

Bennymiata
11-07-2011, 5:13pm
Yes, and it's much faster too.

JM Tran
11-07-2011, 5:29pm
the Sigma will be much better in

-edge to edge sharpness
-better and smoother bokeh
-more colour contrast and tone
-faster aperture
-slightly faster to AF

andylo
12-07-2011, 10:58am
the Sigma will be much better in

-edge to edge sharpness
-better and smoother bokeh
-more colour contrast and tone
-faster aperture
-slightly faster to AF

+1 of above - given it's focus correctly to your camera body.

Sigma lenses on Canon body sometimes has front/back focus issue which is a well known thing - although it's not often happening. Buy from proper Aus dealer who buy their stock from CR Kennedy (Sigma Aus wholeseller) will assure you are protected.

Please read the following link which will give you max. benefit when buy from Aus dealer - they even PRICE MATCH grey import

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465

kiwi
12-07-2011, 11:19am
Replace sometimes with rarely :-)

andylo
12-07-2011, 11:29am
Replace sometimes with rarely :-)

I think it's a tad more than "rarely" so I will leave it as sometime :lol:

I somehow remembered this conversation has happened before..... between "rarely" and "sometime"

I @ M
12-07-2011, 11:45am
I think it's a tad more than "rarely" so I will leave it as sometime :lol:

You THINK but do you KNOW?

Or are you just repeating a heap of internet chatter?:rolleyes:

andylo
12-07-2011, 1:43pm
I have owned (and still own 1) 3 x Sigma lenses :) All has done some work with CR Kennedy. nuff said? :D

I @ M
12-07-2011, 1:52pm
I have owned (and still own 1) 3 x Sigma lenses :) All has done some work with CR Kennedy. nuff said? :D

No, you are only one person on the customer base of a company that produces more lenses per year than the OEM companies do.
The only thing that you know is that you have lenses that didn't work with your camera.
Don't assume that just because you have had issues with a particular product that everyone else ( or even just some people to give you your "sometimes" scenario ) who own that product has the same problem.

andylo
12-07-2011, 2:04pm
How about the fact that between 4 of us (3 friends of mine) we have experiences on 21 Sigma lenses so far?

But there's only 4 of us... out of probably million.

andylo
12-07-2011, 2:09pm
Hold the phone - I@M... I wasn't even complaint about anything of the Sigma lenses! I think they are fantastic especially for the price you paid for vs the Ls

I was merely providing some information to a potential lens buyer and hopefully it will be useful for him.

Somehow I got suck into this argument!

Bennymiata
12-07-2011, 4:19pm
I've got 3 Sigmas, and everyone of them is sharp and perfect straight out of the box, and I've never had a problem with any of them, even a very cheap one which is now about 6 years old and has been around the world a few times with me and others that i have lent it to, so it's a pretty tough lens.
Considering its cost, its images are remarkable too.

It's a matter of luck of you get a good or a bad one, but I've heard some horror stories of L lenses too, so I wouldn't take too much heed of some of the stories of problems.

Rattus79
12-07-2011, 4:29pm
Me, I've had nothing but trouble with Sigmas. (except for a 28-80 macro)
I'd reccommend the 17-50 2.8 Tamron. Cheaper, just as sharp.

andylo
12-07-2011, 4:42pm
and out of those 21 lens between 4 of us have/had, 20 of them are keeper with just 1 unlucky exception. I love my 50mm f/1.4 :D

I just re-reading my posts and I realise I made a fatal mistake - I was trying to emphasis how many Sigmas we have been thru, without telling how many of them are eventually successfully stayed in our bags. (I am sorry about that guys :o)

And please understand my initial post was only trying suggest the OP to purchase thru a Aussie dealer - because OP then can enjoy the outstanding service from CR Kennedy (if ever needed - which is very RARE) while paying just the grey import price!

There is no intention to smear the quality products from Sigma. And please note I am only a rookie in term of photography so please only take my comment with a grain (or 2) of salt.