PDA

View Full Version : What is in your "standard" kit?

BecdS
11-07-2011, 9:23am
This is the scenario... A day long event which will extend into the early evening. Indoor and outdoor. Lots of people - men, women and children, dressed in costume, amongst a lot of people who aren't. There are also birds and other animals. Opportunity for "set up" portraits and also fast paced action shots. You have to carry your own gear for the entire entire event. (Think Medieval Tournament ;) )

Your base is a Canon EOS 350D body. What else do you take? If you have plenty of forewarning, do you upgrade your body, and if so, to what?

:p

kiwi
11-07-2011, 9:43am
how many $ are involved ?

Personally

I'd have two bodies, 24-70, 70-200 and 50 1.4 and 20 2.8 and 1,4 TC in the bag, two flashes and backup batteries for everything and about 20GB of CF cards. About $12000 worth of gear

But its not what I have, its what you have that counts

virgal_tracy
11-07-2011, 10:12am
I think the body/ies you use will be less important than the lenses. Agree with Kiwi above.

If this is a paid gig and you are the sole photographer employed to cover this then the list of equipment will be long.

Minimum 2 bodies, preferably 3, same with flashes. at least 4 sets of batteries per flash, 4 batteries per body. Memory cards dependent on whether you are shooting raw or jpeg. I would double Kiwi and take 40gb. If by "set up" portraits you mean static place with background etc then a tripod would be adviseable.

Lenses - same opinion as Kiwi, maybe add or substitute in a 17-55.

Again if this is a paid gig and you are solely responsible make sure you have backups for everything.

BecdS
11-07-2011, 12:26pm
I'm not sure how to edit my post, so I'll add some more information here...

Let's say that you're an advanced beginner, ie you know how to hold the camera and how it's basic functions work and this isn't a paid gig, just something for your own fun and to try to further yourself / learning exercise.

What about a grip? What kind of flash/es? Would you take a tripod or a monopod?

davearnold
11-07-2011, 12:49pm
Sounds like the Abbey Medieval Festival :)

I took two lenses, 70-200 F2.8 ( borrowed) and 17-55 F2.8, only went for one day, two bodies 7D and 450D and second shooter (my 16 yr old daughter, who took NO photos:( )

Ideas was to swap halfway through the day and have daughter with other camera lens for when needed, but the 70-200 sort of gave me enough range for most photo opportunities, and after I packed 450 and 17-55 into bag when it was obvious was not going to get used, it did not come back out, should of changed to wider lens for a walk around of the tents, gypsy area, but didn't and probably missed some photos because of that.

Next year, hope to have 70-300 L by then, and will take that and the 17-55 and only the 7D (may or may not take daughter :) )

Glass is more important then bodies, and would upgrade to some quality lens's first, what Lens's do you currently have?

It is a long day, and the less weighth you carry the better.

Cheers Dave

BecdS
11-07-2011, 1:16pm
Sounds like the Abbey Medieval Festival :)

What gave it away? :lol:

...two bodies 7D and 450D

Did you buy your 7D after the 450D as an upgrade?

Glass is more important then bodies, and would upgrade to some quality lens's first, what Lens's do you currently have?
I still only have the "kit" lenses - Canon EFS 18-55mm, Canon EF 75-300mm. I'm never quite sure what else I should get. I'm thinking about a nifty fifty at the moment, but I don't feel like my gear was right for the Abbey day. That's why I started this thread. :D

It is a long day, and the less weighth you carry the better.

Have to agree with that! I took my 350D, two lenses, a spare battery and a couple of cards and I had to get MisterdS to carry the bag.

davearnold
11-07-2011, 1:42pm
I upgraded to the 7D for the better AF as was ( and still hoping to do more wildlife) and wanted more MP's as would possibly be some serious cropping involved.

For the Medieval Festival the 450D would have been fine.

I would be looking at what your over all photography needs are, and not buy lens's for just one event, maybe look at hiring one for the weekend as a option next year if you have not upgraded lens's before then.

I was using a 24-105L F4 for a long time as a walk around lens, until it broke :( and if i was only taking one lens, that would be the lens of choice for me, but you would miss out on some reach for the birds, and jousting etc.

Probalby to decide on what is the best lens for the day, from your experiance what focal length did you use the most, and going through your photos you did take, the photos you are most happy with what focal length were they taken at?

kiwi
11-07-2011, 2:02pm
Id probably take my 400 2.8 too, just to look the part:) around Allan and co

virgal_tracy
11-07-2011, 2:08pm
BAsed on the information given, I would be inclined to just have the 1 body and possibly the Tamron 18-270 lens. It's not high quality glass but is more than adequate for what you have described and means that you do not have to purchase mulitple lenses to cover the same range. Maybe a 430 ex flash and i would go with a monopod (especially if using the 18-270 and its extreme zoom length).

A comfortable shoulder strap eg Black Rapid to take the pressure off of the neck, and then has been said spare batteries and memry cards.

fabian628
11-07-2011, 2:45pm
Take a 50mm prime, 50 1.8 and 50 1.4 and see how you go. If you are doing it for fun keep it simple.

kiwi
11-07-2011, 3:08pm
If learning I'd take everything to learn really, get a pack horse

Tripods are dangerous, monopods are useful if you have a 70-200 or bigger and can't handhold for long times

Ettl speedlights with off camera capabilities

James T
11-07-2011, 3:17pm
Shooting for fun. From your kit I would take the 350D and the 18-55.

I wouldn't be upgrading anything for a specific event if I was just shooting for fun.

kiwi
11-07-2011, 3:19pm
Shooting for fun. From your kit I would take the 350D and the 18-55.

I wouldn't be upgrading anything for a specific event if I was just shooting for fun.

No, but it makes a good excuse

James T
11-07-2011, 3:29pm
No, but it makes a good excuse

Of course. :D

I was meaning more, I wouldn't base an upgrade on a single event if it wasn't a matter of getting paid or not.

Rather, I would base it on more general shooting and what I felt was lacking in my gear over the past X-period of time. :)

davearnold
11-07-2011, 3:34pm
Of course. :D

I was meaning more, I wouldn't base an upgrade on a single event if it wasn't a matter of getting paid or not.

Rather, I would base it on more general shooting and what I felt was lacking in my gear over the past X-period of time. :)

Agree, I would get the Lens upgrade you can use best on a day to day basis, and make it work for any events you go too.

With the lens's you have what are you finding the limitations are, what is the main type of photography you do?

BecdS
12-07-2011, 2:59pm
Agree, I would get the Lens upgrade you can use best on a day to day basis, and make it work for any events you go too.

With the lens's you have what are you finding the limitations are, what is the main type of photography you do?

I just don't know. :confused013 I took a tonne of pictures at the Medieval Tournament (I keep banging on about that because it's the first "event" I've been to in a really long time, and the first opportunity that I've taken to photograph something that wasn't just "snapshotting" my cats), but I was -so- disappointed when I got home. I took some with both lenses and they just don't seem to have the sharpness of images I see around. No doubt it has more to do with my lack of skill, but I thought there may be a lens (or some other equipment) that more seasoned photographers believe is a "must have" in even the most basic kit. I caught a thread here the other day about the "nifty fifty" and there were a lot of comments about how it's an invaluable piece.

I haven't seriously practiced in a pretty long time. I live in a very rural area, so I've driven around in the past and snapped on things that seemed interesting. I try to take pictures of my cats, dogs and horses, but I find animals quite hard. Anyone else find that? I went through a stage of taking a tonne of macro type shots of flowers. I would love to take pictures of people, but not really portraiture.. more like casual, natural type ones. I took a few of my nieces and nephew in the park, but I felt like everything was wrong, ie lighting etc, and I didn't really feel confident in what I was doing. I'm also stupidly shy, so I try to capture people from a distance. This may have led to some of the disappointment at my pictures from the Tournament, because I was mostly too shy to ask people.

I guess I'm just extremely unconfident (is that a word?). :o

ksolomon
12-07-2011, 3:21pm
I just don't know. :confused013 I took a tonne of pictures at the Medieval Tournament (I keep banging on about that because it's the first "event" I've been to in a really long time, and the first opportunity that I've taken to photograph something that wasn't just "snapshotting" my cats), but I was -so- disappointed when I got home. I took some with both lenses and they just don't seem to have the sharpness of images I see around. No doubt it has more to do with my lack of skill, but I thought there may be a lens (or some other equipment) that more seasoned photographers believe is a "must have" in even the most basic kit. I caught a thread here the other day about the "nifty fifty" and there were a lot of comments about how it's an invaluable piece.

I haven't seriously practiced in a pretty long time. I live in a very rural area, so I've driven around in the past and snapped on things that seemed interesting. I try to take pictures of my cats, dogs and horses, but I find animals quite hard. Anyone else find that? I went through a stage of taking a tonne of macro type shots of flowers. I would love to take pictures of people, but not really portraiture.. more like casual, natural type ones. I took a few of my nieces and nephew in the park, but I felt like everything was wrong, ie lighting etc, and I didn't really feel confident in what I was doing. I'm also stupidly shy, so I try to capture people from a distance. This may have led to some of the disappointment at my pictures from the Tournament, because I was mostly too shy to ask people.

Firstly, can't really comment on gear I shot with one of the other's. It is possible that your images may not be as sharp for lack of experience or just because they are not the photos you expected from your day. You say this is the first event so a question I would ask is Did you have fun? Many people have told me the key to getting better is take what you learn from your experience and practise and build from there.

I would say try to take photos of many different things around your rural area, moving and stationery objects don't be picky with what you photo just photo for the sake of it and CC yourself, ask what could you have done to get it this way or that (hope you get the jist) an instructor told me once that whilst learning she took photos of a coffee mug in all different situations and lined up many and played with DOF and all. You will improve by just getting out and taking photos then the confidence builds and you find things slot into place.

Put some pictures up on AP for CC and see what happens. I for one would like to see some of your work. Keep at it and it will come for you :)

Allann
12-07-2011, 3:40pm
Hi all,

Interesting question, I have shot this event in an official capacity for 3 years running now and can give you this advice. I realise the event is over, but it's on again next year and will give you a year to practice and save for new gear. At a minimum:

1 body, 5D2 is very versatile as the light changes dramatically and high ISO will be needed.
2 lenses, 70-200 will get you many of the event shots in the bigger arenas and also doubles as a great portrait lens, and a 16-35 or similar for wider "full view" of scenes, etc.

A longer lens like a 300 or 400 can be great at the joust and the castle arena. a macro can also be useful for portraits and still life scenes or close-ups of the weapons, armor, etc. Remember, you don't need to buy the gear up front, go to a camera hire place and hire the lens to see if you like it and fits your shooting style.

But whatever you decide to take remember, you will need to carry it ALL day as there are no lockers for general public.

My kit: 1D3, 5D2, 100 2.8L macro, 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L, 600 4L, a few speedlights, tripod (for 600), monopod (everything else), spare batteries, and 3x16GB CF cards, these are emptied at lunch and end of day as time permits, laptop.

To see some of the shots from this year (haven't finished uploading yet) : http://allannielsenphotography.com/abbey_2011

James T
12-07-2011, 4:21pm
Sounds like you just need to get shooting more.

Have you thought about meeting up with a more experienced photographer(s) to go shooting? Personally I don't like shooting with others, but I know some people love to, and learn a lot from it.

I realise that's probably tough living in a rural area, but perhaps could be worth looking out for an AP meet in the nearest town/city to you. :confused013

kiwi
12-07-2011, 7:52pm
Sounds like you just need to get shooting more.

Have you thought about meeting up with a more experienced photographer(s) to go shooting? Personally I don't like shooting with others, but I know some people love to, and learn a lot from it.

I realise that's probably tough living in a rural area, but perhaps could be worth looking out for an AP meet in the nearest town/city to you. :confused013

Excellent response that

mrDooba
12-07-2011, 9:47pm
I see you mention there are birds!!!:eek: All I need is my 1D4 and 600/4 attached to tripod :D

Maybe my teleconverters as well;)

Darey
12-07-2011, 11:07pm
Bec,
The above advise is very good advise and I cannot add to it because I am not a Canon user and the above advise is mainly related to the gear to use.

I am taking the moment to add a little technique advise which will hopefully help you get improved results from the gear you have and may purchase in the future. I am focusing on your desire to get SHARPER shots.
At a general level I believe one way to get sharper shots is to use the "Fastest Shutter Speed" you can and to " hold the camera/lens as still as you can".

I would suggest the best photographers on this forum have all mastered holding their cameras/lens dead still to assist in achieving their sharp results.

As an exercise can I suggest you set your ISO to 400 (as a beginning) and practice taking some shots with a shutter speed of 1/500 sec or higher and concentrate on holding your camera as still as possible. Rest the camera on anything you can (Monopod, tripod, branch, post, bean bag, car door or knee supported arm, anything) that will help you hold that camera still. Hopefully you will see an improvement in the sharpness of your shots.
The use of ISO 400 will also give you greater reach with your flash for flash fill photos.

I hope the above helps and enjoy practicing as much as possible.

JamesDoylePhoto
13-07-2011, 8:51am
I believe that the equipment you use isn't going to make that much of a difference, photographers with less experience always think that more equipment they have will make them a better photographer....my cameras and lenses have never left at dawn to shoot a sunrise while I stay in bed.....it's you the photography that will make the images. An experienced or should I say a talented photographer can make great images from any camera/lens. Use what you have and enjoy the day photographing as best you can and when you have mastered what you already own then think of upgrading, Not the other way round!

Over the years I have seen many a time when people go buy the biggest and best camera on the market because they can, only to find they can't use it because "it's too complicated" or "too heavy" or because someone said "this is the lens you need"....it's all rubbish use what you are comfortable with and learn to use it well and your images will be treasured, while the person with all the fancy gear who doesn't know how to use it will just have a pile of wasted cash.

Also it must be remembered that everytime you upgrade a camera you have to learn how to use it and that in itself takes time, most people don't have the time to learn what they already own let alone something new.

Longshots
13-07-2011, 9:10am
FWIW and in relation to the Abbey ( which I attended for pleasure - which it was )- I carried what I normally carry on all my jobs.

Which is this is what I describe as my basic kit:
5Dmk2 & 1DS (although for Abbey I borrowed a 7D to try it out - and I like it)
16-35 2.8 L
24-70 2.8 L
70-200 2.8 L
Manfrotto Monopod
Sekonic Light Meter
64Gb of Cards

BTW I find that lens range covers most of what I shoot

optional - ie not always - but carried it all for Abbey
100 2.8
300 4 L
1.4 TC
580 ex 2 & External Battery Pack

Spare stuff (extra flash/batteries/tripod etc) were kept in the car. In hindsight I didnt use any of the optional stuff, and should have left it in the car :) As I was shooting for pleasure and not work.

Jules
13-07-2011, 9:25am
Bec, you said you weren't happy with your photos from the day due to lack of sharpness. There are a number of reasons why the images may not have been sharp - motion blur, camera shake, misfocus, poor exposure, high ISO noise, etc. And yes, it may be the quality of your lenses causing the problem, but if it is one of the other reasons, buying a new lens isn't going to solve the problem.

As has already been suggested, post some of your photos from the day and get some critique. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here on AP who can give you really good technical advice on improving your shots, plus help you figure out what type of lens to buy if your gear is letting you down.

JamesDoylePhoto
13-07-2011, 9:30am

Bec,

I don't want to alarm you! But given what you are saying here about wanting to photography people and because you are shy you often photograph from a distance, you will still need to get their permission to take their photograph. If you take someones photo without their permission and they see that image in a publicplace they can sue you for a breach of copyright (of their image) and an invasion of privacy. Don't think it won't happen, you only need one mean spirited person and you could end up with a whole heap of grief!

If you want to take photos of people it is far better to have them sign a "release form" (which can be a simple form they sign giving you permission to photograph them) and cover your back in case of trouble down the road.

It's the same with entering private property to take photographs, it's always best to get permission in writing...just in case.

kiwi
13-07-2011, 10:09am
That's not quite true, you don't need anyone's release if you are taking photos on public land and you're nit going to use that image commercially. You also don't need permission on private land either if using the image for domestic or private reasons. Displaying people's images even in an art gallery or editorially or in say an awards evening is ok either.

So, in general for most situations for most of us and for most the time you will not need a model release in my opinion

That's not saying that you shouldn't get one if the opportunity is there or you think you might ever use that image commercially

James T
13-07-2011, 12:26pm
Yep, you don't hold copyright of your image in Australia (obviously different laws to the USA). And, there's no expectation or 'right' to privacy in public.

JamesDoylePhoto
14-07-2011, 7:55pm
That's not quite true, you don't need anyone's release if you are taking photos on public land and you're nit going to use that image commercially. You also don't need permission on private land either if using the image for domestic or private reasons. Displaying people's images even in an art gallery or editorially or in say an awards evening is ok either.

So, in general for most situations for most of us and for most the time you will not need a model release in my opinion

That's not saying that you shouldn't get one if the opportunity is there or you think you might ever use that image commercially

Here in Queensland, you are treading on very thin ground if you don't get permission, especially if you take photos of children (if your a male) and take photos of someone elses children you are likely to be arrested!

Sure what you do on private property and with your friends is between you and the other party....but when it comes to anything in the public domain all I was saying it is worth checking the laws that apply and seeking permission before you shot. Many tourist places don't allow you to take photos without a permit or permission. All I'm saying is be carefull and aware of what the rules are, copyright, IP laws are complicated and are changing all the time and it's better to be forwarned than to go through the trouble of defending yourself later.

Also with regards to Public places, Airports, shipping ports, military bases, government buildings , images of pulic transport such as trains etc will all get the attention of authorities and have a whole set of different laws even though they are public places!

Bottom Line, do your homework and find out what applies where you plan to shot regardless of whether it's for profit or private use.

Just as an example of how complicated these laws are, last year there was a law suit by someone who was photographed drunk and vomitting in a toilet by a friend on his Ipone, that friend then posted the photo on facebook. The person in the photograph sued and won because his image is his and permission is required to be reproduced.

Another more high profile case....The ADA recruit that was filmed having consenual sex but the footage was skyped to others live without her permission. Result, breach of copyright!!

Under very few circumstances do you have the copyright of someone elses image without permission regardless of whether it is for private use or commercial use.

kiwi
14-07-2011, 8:00pm
Here in Queensland, you are treading on very thin ground if you don't get permission, especially if you take photos of children (if your a male) and take photos of someone elses children you are likely to be arrested!

Sure what you do on private property and with your friends is between you and the other party....but when it comes to anything in the public domain all I was saying it is worth checking the laws that apply and seeking permission before you shot. Many tourist places don't allow you to take photos without a permit or permission. All I'm saying is be carefull and aware of what the rules are, copyright, IP laws are complicated and are changing all the time and it's better to be forwarned than to go through the trouble of defending yourself later.

Children are afforded no additional protection than adults, there is some protection afforded re privacy if the child is under protective custody etc

So, I'd love you to justify your statements here with some actual facts and links to legislation rather than pandering to hysteria.

There are very few tourism spots that have any restrictions at all, once again please list your source

JamesDoylePhoto
14-07-2011, 9:03pm
I'm not going to get into an argument about this, I was just saying ask first and be forewarned!
My final say on this matter is this; Adopt a professional attitude; Ask permission if you can, Prepare a simple and rational answer to the question Why did you take that photograph!?; Be clear and confident when confronted but not cocky or argumentative; Always remember you have rights, but don't forget your subjects have them too, Finally, it is always easier to put your camera away than engage in street-lawyer shouting matches.

kiwi
14-07-2011, 9:05pm
I'm not going to get into an argument about this, I was just saying ask first and be forewarned!
My final say on this matter is this; Adopt a professional attitude; Ask permission if you can, Prepare a simple and rational answer to the question Why did you take that photograph!?; Be clear and confident when confronted but not cocky or argumentative; Always remember you have rights, but don't forget your subjects have them too, Finally, it is always easier to put your camera away than engage in street-lawyer shouting matches.

And you will not have an argument if you state facts James.

JamesDoylePhoto
14-07-2011, 9:32pm
OK Your right and I'm wrong if that makes you feel a better Man....each to our own then!!!!

kiwi
14-07-2011, 9:44pm
I don't need to be right to feel better, but you are giving completely made up advice to other photographers here presenting them as facts, and that's the point. Please just do some research first.

James T
15-07-2011, 1:15pm
Also with regards to Public places, Airports, shipping ports, military bases, government buildings , images of pulic transport such as trains etc will all get the attention of authorities and have a whole set of different laws even though they are public places!

They aren't public places though.

Bottom Line, do your homework and find out what applies where you plan to shot regardless of whether it's for profit or private use.

Always good advice.

Just as an example of how complicated these laws are, last year there was a law suit by someone who was photographed drunk and vomitting in a toilet by a friend on his Ipone, that friend then posted the photo on facebook. The person in the photograph sued and won because his image is his and permission is required to be reproduced.

Do you have a source for that? As I don't believe that would be the case.

Another more high profile case....The ADA recruit that was filmed having consenual sex but the footage was skyped to others live without her permission. Result, breach of copyright!!

Invasion of privacy, and breach of duty I've heard in relation to that case, but never breach of copyright. When having sex in a bedroom, you have a reasonable expectation of privacy, but you don't own copyright of your image. If you commissioned someone in Australia to come in and photograph you, then you may own copyright. But that's different of course.

Anyway, we should probably get back to talking about lenses. :cool:

JamesDoylePhoto
16-07-2011, 9:21am
In an attempt to end this conversation....Let’s stop playing semantics with the definition of words like copyright, invasion of privacy, rights, laws, private property etc....these are all words that are many things to different people and the legal professionals ague the meaning and definition in courts. I’m not a lawyer and I don’t work in the legal profession and certainly don’t claim to have a definitive answer to these questions.

My original “post” in hindsight was probably badly written on my part with the use of such words as copyright, invasion of privacy etc but I do believe that the main point I was trying to get across to most people was that there are many things to consider when taking images of people without their knowledge or when photographing on other people’s property and one persons interpretation of what the legalities are can often become a source of anguish either to the person being photographed or to the photographer.

One thing I think if we are all honest is that this area, which for some photographers can be a complicated and confronting part of our photography and none of us really have all the answers.

Hence why I wrote (badly as it may have been) just to be aware that there is in more likelihood some “issues” to be considered and it is always best to ask questions first and if possible get the permission or their agreement before we photograph.

I believe this is just good principles that all photographers should operate under and is a mark of professionalism for our craft.

Happy photographing!!!!! :p

I @ M
16-07-2011, 9:32am
In an attempt to end this conversation....

Yes, we are going to end this conversation right here James, thanks for asking us to do so.

It was a conversation that you started and it was totally off topic, rather irrelevant and very misleading.

Remember, we DO NOT condone offering legal advice on Ausphotography.

DAdeGroot
20-07-2011, 10:54pm
Thought I'd chime in (late) with what I used at the Abbey.

During the day:

5DII with 400/5.6L
1DIV with 70-200/2.8L IS

After dark I swapped out the 400 for a 35/1.4L and the 70-200 for an 85/1.2L

Fair bit of weight to lug around (had flashes on me as well), but the focal lengths worked well at that event.

However, coming from your 350D, that's a huge investment in kit for an event you're unlikely to make much (if any) money on. Given that these things are usually windy and dusty, changing lenses in the field should be avoided if possible, so a decent telephoto zoom would get you by (70-200/2.8 or even the f/4). Shallow depth of field is very handy given how busy the backgrounds tend to get and a flash can help in direct sun (to soften the shadows).

BecdS
22-07-2011, 4:10pm
Thought I'd chime in (late) with what I used at the Abbey.

During the day:

5DII with 400/5.6L
1DIV with 70-200/2.8L IS

After dark I swapped out the 400 for a 35/1.4L and the 70-200 for an 85/1.2L

Fair bit of weight to lug around (had flashes on me as well), but the focal lengths worked well at that event.

However, coming from your 350D, that's a huge investment in kit for an event you're unlikely to make much (if any) money on. Given that these things are usually windy and dusty, changing lenses in the field should be avoided if possible, so a decent telephoto zoom would get you by (70-200/2.8 or even the f/4). Shallow depth of field is very handy given how busy the backgrounds tend to get and a flash can help in direct sun (to soften the shadows).

Thanks so much! Using the flash in direct sunlight is definitely something I'm going to have to read up on.

Arg
25-07-2011, 11:11am
I would recommend the new EF-S 18-55 $117, the new EF-S 55-250 $190 and the 430 EXII flash $268. Total $575.

I know you are seeing multi-thousand-$ lenses recommended in this thread, but the above items are significantly optically better than the older kit lenses you have, insanely cheap in relation to optical performance, and have IS that really works.

The flash is more important than one might first think. Outdoor events are often overly contrasty especially for faces in the sun, under hats etc. and fill flash can make a big difference. There is a learning curve but practice makes perfect! And you will be so excited when you start bouncing that flash indoors....

I'm shy too and the long lens is always tempting but the short answer is get closer, don't ask, shoot first, then say hi if you have their attention and move on. This will also move you into range of the flash. Seriously, at the sort of event you described everyone is expecting to be photographed, even the visitors. It's just open slather! :p

P.S. the 350D is several generations behind but should be fine for the shooting described in this thread. Make sure you are using point AF focus not area AF. If you really want a new body then a twin lens kit gets you the above two lenses for even insanelier cheaplier money.