PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with camera gear.

JasonR
12-05-2011, 6:26pm
Hey guys,

Im heading to perth on monday and im flying over just wondering (as this is my first time taking my gear on a plane) where do you store your gear on the plane?

I have a lowepro flipside 400 AW camera bag with all my gear in it.

Also anytips to help prevent damage would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jason

Old Skool
12-05-2011, 6:33pm
Take it as carry on luggage, if possible put it at your feet rather than in the overhead locker.

kiwi
12-05-2011, 6:41pm
if its too eavy until you are onboard just sling the camera(s) around your neck, stuff lenses in your pockets etc....its just the bag that has to weigh < 8kg or whatever it is

markjaffa
12-05-2011, 10:32pm
I got pinged last month coming BACK from Indonesia and they wanted to weigh my carry on luggage! :eek: I had 16kg in my bag, including my tripod on the outside. I was able to re-pack the tripod into my dive bag, but I still had 14kg in the camera bag. I was starting to pull out the camera and laptop when the check-in girl called over her supervisor - as soon as I said/she saw it was camera gear, "Its no problem, no problem." So tell them whats in there if they weigh it and then want you to check it in. :th3:

Lance B
12-05-2011, 10:37pm
I took a Lowepro Flipside 400 on the plane with my Nikon gear, weighing about 8kg all up, to Europe and then later to Singapore and there were no issues. I even had a couple of pouches on the waist belt, where I put another camera body and flash, on my trup to Singapore I generally put it under the seat in front where I can keep an eye on it rather than in the overhead locker as I am a bit paranoid. :o I do not think you will have any issues with taking the Flipside 400 on the plane.

JasonR
14-05-2011, 8:58am
Thanks for your help guys.

Irru
14-05-2011, 9:16am
I took a Lowepro Flipside 400 on the plane with my Nikon gear, weighing about 8kg all up, to Europe and then later to Singapore and there were no issues. I even had a couple of pouches on the waist belt, where I put another camera body and flash, on my trup to Singapore I generally put it under the seat in front where I can keep an eye on it rather than in the overhead locker as I am a bit paranoid. :o I do not think you will have any issues with taking the Flipside 400 on the plane.
Heh, I flew back from Shanghai with my gear + laptop in carry on baggage. I felt really nervous leaving it at my seat whenever I went to the bathroom.

Qantas never seem to check the weight, for what it is worth. And you can get away with two carry on bags if one is clearly a laptop. I'm sure they occasionally do check the weight, but they haven't for 6 flights now.