PDA

View Full Version : Hyperfocal Distance

Robbo7D
05-05-2011, 4:19pm
Having read up on this subject & studying circles of confusion etc. etc. I thought that a pocket range finder would be of some assistance.

So I stumbled across an app for my android phone that is a Depth Of Field Calculator. Just select your camera model, punch in f-stop, lens focal length, subject distance & press "calculate". Voila!!

Should be very handy as long as I have my phone with me!!

achee
05-05-2011, 6:45pm
Yeah, I have an app or two that does that on my phone... but I never use it! If I'm trying to get everything from near to infinity in focus, I usually just step the aperture down, focus on something a few metres away and hope for the best! :)

ameerat42
05-05-2011, 8:22pm
An APP???? How is one ever going to learn by using an APPPPPP???
I found out something tonight by WATCHING TV. It was: If you don't have an I-phone, well, you don't have an I-phone.
So there, I thought. How would I have ever known that? (Perhaps by an APP!)

fillum
06-05-2011, 12:19am
I don't know why cameras don't provide DOF info. With modern lenses the camera knows the focal length, the aperture and the subject distance...

Cheers.

Mr Felix
08-05-2011, 10:15am
That's what I miss with the "old" film camera lenses.

On the good ones, you would turn the focus ring to focus the subject, then set the appature and see the DOF because it was marked on the lens body.

Nowa days, you get nada, zilch, zip. Which is annoying.

BTW, what's that app called? Just incase I feel the need to try it?

kiwi
08-05-2011, 11:12am
Dofmaster and a complete waste of time for landscapes

Put on f/18 and focus on something 2/3 between you and infinity

arthurking83
08-05-2011, 11:48am
That's what I miss with the "old" film camera lenses.......

:confused:

Old film camera lenses??

they're all basically the same.

old film camera lenses generally all fit onto new digital camera bodies(there are a few exceptions)..

BUT!!!... even the 'new digital camera lenses' have DOF markings too.

You just have to know which one's do and which don't.(that means research or experience)
Basically, if it's a non push-pull zoom it won't have them, whereas most primes will.