PDA

View Full Version : neck strap? shoulder strap? what do you use?

ricstew
23-04-2011, 8:28am
So I am shopping for a new gadget to hold the camera. I have the standard neck strap that came with it but........its too narrow and the camera just drags on the neck especially with a heavier lens.
So I looked on fleabay ........gawd they are ugly.....and I would feel like a dill :geek: so I looked on Etsy......not as ugly but very homemade......I can make homemade myself....

but practicality must win over style I suppose.....I am leaning towards a shoulder, across the body type with the ring doover that slides up the strap for ease of use. But the camera hangs upside down? Does this affect how easily I can get it to the eye? I am more than a bit of a klutz....

So what are people using? Is it working for you and what helped sway your decision?

cheers
Jan

AmPhot
23-04-2011, 8:33am
Black Rapid RS-5. I've had mine for about a year and love it. It's a personal preference, but I don't like neck straps and find the should sling style much more comfortable, especially if you're going to carrying you camera for a few hours (car shows etc). Can't recommend it highly enough : http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-5/ :)

Namus
23-04-2011, 7:23pm
BR RS-4 here; no issues and do love using it very much. Recommend you at least go into a store and take one for a test run :th3:

Jules
23-04-2011, 9:39pm
I have a BlackRapid RS-4 and it really is comfortable to use, even with a heavy camera/lens combo for hours at a time. Yes, the camera hangs upside down, but I like that it's at my side where I can easily keep one hand on it, rather than bouncing in front of me as I walk. And it's quick to swing it up into position too. I'm definitely happy with my purchase, just wish I'd made it sooner.

matt22
23-04-2011, 10:04pm
Sounds like a good idea, I didn't know they even existed... When you bring to camera up to your face are they very restrictive?

ricstew
23-04-2011, 10:33pm
Many thanks guys........I can see that hanging the camera at your side is the most popular way to go and I think that will work well for me. Now my girly side is gonna show and I cant believe that I have to pay that much for something that ugly.......and that synthetic. The section that screws into the tripod mount on the camera.......is that just a screw with a ring attached just like a small tripod plate? and then attached to a swivel d ring thingy? I can only buy online....so its hard to tell about the details.

J.davis
23-04-2011, 11:36pm
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Crumpler-Pro-Camera-SLR-Neck-Shoulder-Strap-Navy-/280654614044?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item4158518e1c
These are great and hang on your hip, worth a look.

Bear Dale
23-04-2011, 11:44pm
I have one of these -

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=904543

Ones of the best pieces of 'kit' that I've purchased.

ricstew
24-04-2011, 8:05am
Hmmm the possibilities are very limited to say the least. I am pretty sure its the sling strap way I need to go. I do like the leather handgrip thingy but want to leave my hands free to dig thru the handbag etc or hold a cup of coffee. I cant see why I cant make a custom made jobby. I have a spare QR plate........some cotton webbing ( dog leads? they come in all sorts of colours )......a padded curved shoulder piece ( quite simple to make )......a few pieces of hardware which I may already have.......project no 6743b :lol: bugger I will have to wait till the shops open :(
Thanks guys ( btw where are all the women? don't the gals use these types of kit? Only Jules? )
I am off to look at vintage Austin cars today and thats what brought the strap bizzo on.....
cheers
Jan

Mary Anne
24-04-2011, 12:14pm
No I dont use one yet, I have been thinking of getting a shoulder strap when using some of my heavier lens I must look into it soon..

old dog
24-04-2011, 12:25pm
I have the Lowepro voyager C and it is pretty comfy too. But that black rapid R looks great.

kazdez
24-04-2011, 1:00pm
I use a Crumpler one that has a padded neck area. Really comfortable and is long enough for me to use sort or messenger style.

Gemini2261
24-04-2011, 1:14pm
I bought & trialed a cheap shoulder strap (very similar to the black rapids). I have used it for months & it is now quite worn but very strong. I have found this strap system of managing the camera to be excellent for me. If you have a heavy lens/camera combo & you have back/neck/shoulder problems, take it from me this is the way to go! If I used the neck strap I would pay for it for a week or more, with the shoulder one I can go for hours & not have to pay for after.

The sliding bumper is great & does not imped any shot, just adjust it to suit yourself/style/height/arm length etc. I have my 100-400mm attached to it via it's collar & it is very sturdy/ well balanced & works brilliant.

I have upgraded to the BR 5 as others have mentioned they use here. I bought it a while back from BR USA but it has not yet arrived. I think I will find this one even better because one can put their iphone, keys, money, cards & bits & pieces in the strap which was limited in my first version...so I can't wait to get it:th3:

Jcas
25-04-2011, 12:16pm
I use the optech pro as a neck strap, but i also have the extensions that easily turn it into a shoulder sling type.

mugget
26-04-2011, 8:55am
I can vouch for the R-Strap as well. Have been using that for a few years on a 1D + 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L combo (no lightweight) and amazingly it's very comfortable for all day use. I am a decent size guy though, maybe others of less sturdy frame may not feel the same. Also 3 days straight use does begin to get old, I started to carry the camera by hand... then again I can only imagine how uncomfortable a neck strap would have been!

I have seen some DIY instructions to make something like the R-Strap, but I just went ahead and bought one to save time. (For sale now on eBay.) Having the camera by your side hanging upside down is actually really convenient to quickly grab - it's like a 'quick draw' for your camera!

Xenedis
26-04-2011, 3:52pm
I have a Lowepro neoprene neck strap, but I rarely ever use it.

I don't like camera straps; they get right in my way and are unsightly things.

So, for a lot of my photography, my strap is a tripod.

If you do want or need a strap, a well-padded model with pouches for flash cards or lens cleaning cloths is a good choice. There should be good gripping material on the shoulder pad so the camera doesn't slip.

pollen
27-04-2011, 1:11am
I use the out of box straps, they seem to work fine for me. Generally I hold heavy cameras in my hand even with strap attached so I don't find it digs into my neck

I did use a Neoprene Smugmug free strap, but that's fallen apart so I've gone back to the box straps

ricstew
27-04-2011, 10:10pm
project no 6743b has moved up the list.....to the top. I lived in fear of dropping stuff on the weekend.......found all the hardware and will make a prototype on the weekend I hope :) stay tuned lol
cheers
Jan

smallfooties
27-04-2011, 10:21pm
I use Optech, i think it's the pro series... it's long enough to sling across your body and the camera remains upright.
It's also very comfy.

Ms Monny
28-04-2011, 12:05am
Just got myself the Blackrapid womens strap (in the post today!! :D) and after parading it around for my hubby, found that it was soooo comfy, the camera didn't swing from side to side and it didn't poke out either! Can't wait to use it!

K10D
28-04-2011, 11:52am
I use a Sun Sniper Pro. Used with two cameras. All day, all weekend, no stress or shoulder aches.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/GaryCatterick/sunsniperdouble.jpg?t=1303951888

Best regards

PH005
28-04-2011, 2:14pm
Wow K10D, that is pretty impressive. :eek:

ving
28-04-2011, 2:33pm
q-strap. works great... sooo comfortable, never comes undone... :th3::th3::th3:

Kym
28-04-2011, 2:59pm
Neoprene 3rd party strap off e-bay - soft and no problems, even with the 50-500

ElectricImages
28-04-2011, 3:07pm
Just got myself the Blackrapid womens strap (in the post today!! :D) and after parading it around for my hubby, found that it was soooo comfy, the camera didn't swing from side to side and it didn't poke out either! Can't wait to use it!

But did you get it with the pretty floral embossing on the strap? XD

Ms Monny
28-04-2011, 4:06pm

OFCOURSE!! :cool:

What stylish woman wouldn't want a nice bit of floral embossing on their camera strap??? :D

ricstew
28-04-2011, 5:55pm

but it only comes in black or black floral........all of them only come in black.......I want red!

Ms Monny
28-04-2011, 9:33pm
but it only comes in black or black floral........all of them only come in black.......I want red!

Now, that would be cool!! :cool:

baldrick
17-05-2011, 12:52pm
Just purchased this quick strap off Ebay for $14.89. It`s a cheap Knock off of a Black Rapid that costs at least $70.00
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/QUICK-Neck-Camera-Strap-CANON-NIKON-2ND-EDDITION-/130509665460?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item1e62fb74b4
The supplied plate can be attached to the tripod mount on the camera or lens mount. ( Just bought a Sigma 150-500 and the thought of having 2 kilos of lens hanging off the camera hanging on the normal camera strap was a bit worrying.)

kiwi
17-05-2011, 2:27pm
I would never use a knock-off camera strap, pretty drastic results if it comes apart really

I have a neoprene lowepro quick release strap for main camera and a r-strap for my second camera.

achee
17-05-2011, 3:23pm
I've been using the out-of-the-box strap, but I really don't like the way it attaches to the camera (Canon camera... I think it is great the the strap mount thingys on Nikons can swivel!). The strap holds the camera upright, so with a long lens attached that means the lens is sticking straight out from my body and bumping into things. I'm considering a black rapid or equivalent...

baldrick
17-05-2011, 6:09pm
[QUOTE=kiwi;844269]I would never use a knock-off camera strap, pretty drastic results if it comes apart really

I have a neoprene lowepro quick release strap for main camera and a r-strap for my second camera.[/QUOTE

That`s an interesting response Kiwi considering the number of complaints (like this one on the Pentax forum ) http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/107650-blackrapid-r-strap-rs-4-a.html
about the number of Blackrapid straps failing and dumping cameras on the pavement.

kiwi
17-05-2011, 7:21pm
Used properly they are safe in my opinion, I'm sure there are failures. Ive seen regular straps break too though. it's the propensity to fail which is the issue compared to how many people use them. I and many other sport photographers I know use r-straps to carry heavy gear and never had an issue

baldrick
17-05-2011, 10:12pm
Well I will be using the Quickstrap (properly I hope) to carry some fairly heavy gear (k20d and Bigma) If it fails I will be sure to let you know.

tannyboy
18-05-2011, 3:08pm
Using the Crumpler "industry disgrace" White and Gray Camo.
Its kitschy - but comfortable with all the padding it has/

screamer
18-05-2011, 11:34pm
+1 Crumpler Industry Disgrace