PDA

View Full Version : Change of Plans - advice on equipment.

AutumnCurl
11-04-2011, 12:05pm
Hiya,

Somewhere on this forum i have a huge list of stuff i was about to buy... but sometimes life doesn't let you do things the way you plan them and a lot of my saved camera money is now going towards helping out my mother who has some medical problems and needs a operation - she still has a mortgage and can be a compulsive gambler so a lot of sorting out needed to be done there.. I also live interstate from my mother so i need to keep money there so i can fly back and forth when needed. We have also just brought a brand new car - in-fact we are still waiting on the coatings and tinting to be finished (Ford G6 E).

So i am revising my list of camera things. :(

I currently have a d5000 with the twin kit lens and i also have a Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens,Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Lens, Sb600 Flash and a really good Tripod.

I am now looking at spending around $5000.

so i am thinking:

D700
Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f2.8G ED VR II Lenses

I like to take alot of portrait photos - however i also like the landscape stuff :)

i am open to recommendations.

Thank you

- A

abitfishy
11-04-2011, 1:38pm
If you are keen on portrailts what about an 85 mm 1.8D as well, or maybe to double as a macro the Tamron 90mm 2.8.

ricktas
11-04-2011, 2:46pm
Honestly? I have reviewed the threads you have posted recently, showing your photography. I would stick with what you have for now and get your skills up. You obviously have a good basic understanding, but I think you could and should develop your skills further, which you current gear will allow, and then start considering what new gear you want. Maybe this sounds harsh, but more expensive gear doesn't equate to better skills necessarily.

And then when you have got a much bigger skill base, and want to upgrade, you will have more money saved, and won't be compromising, like you are at present.

ameerat42
11-04-2011, 5:54pm
A "Thanks for this useful post" tick was not enough to say I have taken this advice on board myself - for reasons different from but as valid as the OP's.
Am.

arubaato
11-04-2011, 11:08pm
Honestly? I have reviewed the threads you have posted recently, showing your photography. I would stick with what you have for now and get your skills up. You obviously have a good basic understanding, but I think you could and should develop your skills further, which you current gear will allow, and then start considering what new gear you want. Maybe this sounds harsh, but more expensive gear doesn't equate to better skills necessarily.

And then when you have got a much bigger skill base, and want to upgrade, you will have more money saved, and won't be compromising, like you are at present.

Good advice.

fabian628
11-04-2011, 11:14pm
I see that you are lacking an ultra wide lens. You may consider one, i hear the nikon UW zoom is good, as it may come in useful for landscape which is an intrest of yours. :th3: