PDA

View Full Version : Re-installing Photoshop on same computer.

mongo
15-03-2011, 2:48pm
Mongo had a small problem whereby he had to re-set his computer back in time to fix it. Unfortunately, photoshop was installed in the process along with one or two other small programs. Got out the original CD to re-load it and now it will not re-load. It is talking about placing back components in their original location and about deactivating and re-activating. Can anyone help – Mongo is really getting sick of all this c**p from programs like this.

kiwi
15-03-2011, 3:10pm
If it were me, Id probably un-install photoshop and then reinstall it from scratch

ameerat42
15-03-2011, 3:24pm
What is Mongo's System Operandi? And if you did a System Restore (WinXP talk) then you would have effectively done what Kiwi said.
I would say - having had some experience in like frustration - that the vestiges of the previous installation include the activation code from that install. (Edit: which sometimes don't respond to Sys Rests.)
You'd have to run the CD and choose Uninstall. You may have to re-enter the activation code somewhere in the UN-install procedure to verify legal copies, etc.

If you have success there, then re-start the engine and re-install. Again, at some point, you will need to re-activate the S/W.

It is a pane alright, and even a pain.

Failing the achievement of success in all of the above, contact Adobe.
Good hunting.
Am.

mongo
15-03-2011, 3:41pm
If it were me, Id probably un-install photoshop and then reinstall it from scratch

that is what happened Kiwi. the restore point removed phtoshop and Mongo then tried to re-install it - no go !

However, it is possible the restore point did not remove "ALL" of photoshop i.e some of its components - so Mongo is going to search for them In "Adobe" and get rid of them and then try to re-install truly from "scratch" as you say. Thanks for the advice

kiwi
15-03-2011, 3:43pm
Yes, I get that, but I think it's probably left stuff behind in an adobe directory or the registry.

mongo
15-03-2011, 3:49pm
thanks Ameerat 42 - am trying

mongo
15-03-2011, 3:58pm
Thank goodness Mongo got it going after all - he was fast running out of fur to pull out !

thanks guys. The secret is to make sure ALL the components are uninstalled including the shared ones. Do this by inserting original disc and choosing remove or uninstall all components etc then run the install again from the same disc.

Bloody time consuming and then having to get all the updates for the last year or so which were lost etc.

Dylan & Marianne
15-03-2011, 4:19pm
glad you sorted it out mongo - I was going to suggest that there is a cleanup script you can get from adobe that gets rid of the registry info etc from adobe - I've used this before with good effect.

agb
15-03-2011, 4:32pm
Interesting. MY photoshop is/was purchased as an update from Adobe directly as a download, so the only CD I have is from a very early version. Hope I never ever have to do an uninstall.

ricktas
15-03-2011, 4:37pm
Interesting. MY photoshop is/was purchased as an update from Adobe directly as a download, so the only CD I have is from a very early version. Hope I never ever have to do an uninstall.

backup the file you dowloaded that contains photoshop. It is usually a large, self extracting file. I did it the same way, downloaded it, rather than purchase a disk. I have kept copies of that downloaded file both on my backup system and on a USB Drive. You can use that file to uninstall/re-install as needed.

mongo
15-03-2011, 5:51pm
Mongo spoke too soon - it is still not working now more than ever. It loaded but when I went to use it , is basically said contact the adminsitrator ie adobe. It was odd it did not ask for the registration code as it did when originally loaded.

Mongo will try a clean up script next but things are not looking good and no matter what happens - Adobe really sucks for creating these problems in their software

ameerat42
15-03-2011, 8:09pm
Sorry 2 hear that. And anyway, they're not the only 1s who suck. Ever tried removing (specifically Norton's) anti virus s/w? (Gnash teeth...)

Kym
15-03-2011, 8:19pm
I reckon this is happening...

1. Install product
2. Register product
3. CRASH!!!
4. Re-build system
5. Re-install product
6. Cannot re-register :eek: Because key is already registered
7. Contact supplier and argue until they let you re-register :th3:

Or a variation of the above

agb
15-03-2011, 8:44pm
I have never done it but is it possible to install the photoshop under a different user account?

mongo
15-03-2011, 9:54pm
Fixed ! Mongo hopes it stays that way this time.

Big thanks to all of you and a special thanks to Dylan.

It seems the only way is to make sure all the components are uninstalled. With photoshop, the only way to be sure of doing that is to download and run their "cleanup script " software and then reinstall. Pain in the bum for sure Adobe - took Mongo over 5 hours to sought out this problem.

ApolloLXII
15-03-2011, 10:44pm
There is a freewware application that you can use to completely remove EVERY component of a program you wish to uninstall. It's called Revo Uninstaller and it will hunt down every file related to the program you wish to uninstall with the click of a few buttons and delete them without the need to manually search for them. You can find it here:http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

mongo
15-03-2011, 10:47pm
thank you too Apollo62 !

dbax
15-03-2011, 10:54pm
Fixed ! Mongo hopes it stays that way this time.

Big thanks to all of you and a special thanks to Dylan.

It seems the only way is to make sure all the components are uninstalled. With photoshop, the only way to be sure of doing that is to download and run their "cleanup script " software and then reinstall. Pain in the bum for sure Adobe - took Mongo over 5 hours to sought out this problem.

Sorry Mongo I got to this so late, I had a similar problem about 12 mths ago, and found I had to download and run the cleanup script to remove ALL files associated with that particular version of PS before the new version would install completely , frustrating because when I realised the new version wasn't going to install and tried reinstalling the old version it wouldn't work either, the script was the only way. 5 hours eh ( took me about a week to figure it out) .
Glad you got it sorted

ricktas
16-03-2011, 6:48am
Re the contact administrator. I had the same issue trying to install CS5 in the first place. Eventually Adobe advised me to create a user account on my computer called "Administrator' with administrative rights over my PC and install when logged in as that, and it worked. Seems there is a bug in the installer that with certain systems requires people to be logged in with username 'Administrator' to be able to install CS5.

mongo
16-03-2011, 8:50am
thanks David and Rick, Mongo has kept all this info (and the downloaded cleanup script program) for when this happens again. It should take less than 5 hours next time thanks to all the help provided by the AP members.

regards
Mongo

agb
16-03-2011, 9:00am
thanks David and Rick, Mongo has kept all this info (and the downloaded cleanup script program) for when this happens again. It should take less than 5 hours next time thanks to all the help provided by the AP members.

regards
Mongo

There is probably some law in this universe that says that once you have found the solution to the problem the problem will never occur again.
Glad it is sorted.