PDA

View Full Version : Problem with CF card

kiwi
13-03-2011, 6:18pm
Can anyone help ? When I put my cf card in my card reader it won't open the folder and I get a "you need to first format the device" message

I put back in camera and I can happily view on LCD and I've been able to load files onto via pc the cable

Whatcha reckon ?

Wayne
13-03-2011, 6:23pm
Files are not on the /root?

There is a subfolder containing the images that the reader and PC are not seeing?

MarkChap
13-03-2011, 6:26pm
We get this occasionally at work.

I have found that if you format the card all will be good again

That is if you have copied the files to your computer

I @ M
13-03-2011, 6:32pm
Do you normally format in the camera Darren?

I have heard that the problem can occur when you format in the reader / pc, and in all the time we have had Digital Cameras the problem has never occurred and the cards have always been formatted in the camera.

dbax
13-03-2011, 6:36pm
agree with the above, early on I had a similar problem after formatting the card with the PC, once I reformatted in camera no problems.

kiwi
13-03-2011, 6:47pm
I always format in camera before each shoot

triptych
13-03-2011, 8:05pm
This has happened to me a few times, I think I can still open the files in Bridge rather than Windows explorer

Arg
13-03-2011, 8:36pm
I had a cheapie card reader that wasn't good for my cards. They gradually became corrupt in a way that couldn't be fixed by reformatting.

arthurking83
13-03-2011, 9:05pm
If you haven't already, have you tried reading the card directly from the camera too?

Could be a temporary issue with your computer and the card/card reader.
Also try a computer reboot as another option, or uplug the card reader if via USB and plug it in again(try different ports).

Have you done any computer updates recently?(what operating system?)

kiwi
13-03-2011, 9:24pm
Yeah, tried two different readers on two different pcs