PDA

View Full Version : How often should you get your camera cleaned

rodeo550
01-03-2011, 4:38pm
:p I was wondering how often should you get the sensor & the internals cleaned on a digital camera. I have had my 450d for about 3yrs. I would also like to know if there is a company that maybe recommended, in the Sydney outer west. Also what approximate cost would I be looking at.

Canon 450d, canon 1.4 50ml, 100-400L, Tamron 18-250, 430 exII.

davomate
01-03-2011, 4:47pm
Have you noticed specks on your photos? Take a photo without the lens attached, pointing at a light-coloured background. Look at it on your computer.

ricktas
01-03-2011, 4:58pm
Whenever it needs it! How long is a bit of string. It all depends on the environment you are in. People who change lenses in dusty,windy environments will probably need to clean it more than someone who uses their gear solely in a studio for example. Once you notice lots of dust bunnies on your photos, get it cleaned (or learn how to do it yourself).

rodeo550
05-03-2011, 4:03pm
thank you Davomate & Rick its much appreciated. I will try what you said Davomate. :th3:

Kym
05-03-2011, 4:07pm
Read this and the links... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Camera_and_Lens_Care

zolaxi
05-03-2011, 10:13pm
Not wishing to sound facetious, I would say get your camera cleaned when it needs a clean. If you notice "dust bunnies" on the sensor, get it cleaned.

I had a wedding to shoot today, and I had dust on the sensor on my 5d2 from other work I was doing. My choice was to put my camera in for a sensor clean, pay $120 dollars for some unknown jockey to mess around with my sensor for a few days, OR get my blower out and give it a clean myself.

I did a good job and my sensor today was sparkling clean and I saved $120. Sensor cleaning is not rocket science, although you obviously need to take care.

Three year old 450D? Time to upgrade maybe?:th3:

rodeo550
15-03-2011, 7:55pm
Thank you Kim & Zolaxi, i will definetly look at the link, & buy a blower. In regards to the upgrade Zolaxi, can't afford it at the moment, will have to stck with what I've got.

Regards

Rodeo550;)