PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Suggestions

steffyd
11-02-2011, 1:11pm
Hi. Ive been on here for a while now, looking at most posts, and may I say learning alot.

I would like to buy some kind of studio lighting. I am only an amateur and I think that some king of lighting equipment would really help take my photography to the next level. I dont need anything overly extravagant.

I only want to spend $200 and under. I think this is a reasonable amount to spend for my level of photography. Im trying to really improve my portraiture photography and new born photography.

Any suggestions about what others think I will need, or what i definitely should stay away from will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steph :D

Rattus79
11-02-2011, 2:30pm
I'd reccommend getting a Yongano yn460 II or 2 they're ebay cheapies, but they work ($50 ea)
a set of rf-02's flashy transmittery thingies- also ebay cheapies but they work up to 100 mtrs ($75 for transmitter and 2 recievers)
and a couple of light stands. $130 for ebay chineese knock offs with brollies and flash brackets.

You will be a little over the budget for 2 lights, but it's a start and good for practising with.

steffyd
11-02-2011, 3:02pm
Thanks Greg, I will check them out.

reaction
17-02-2011, 4:56pm
what gear do u have now?

Speedway
17-02-2011, 5:38pm
Get 2 or 3 desk/bed lamps and set them up where you want them, play with different powered globes. A cheap starting point.
Keith.

adrian078
02-03-2011, 11:28am
You could get away with one Yongano flash with umbrella and a piece of foam core board as a reflector on the other side. Foam core is about $8 at officeworks and works well. You won't get as strong a light using the board but you can vary the amount of fill by moving the board closer and further away from the subject.