PDA

View Full Version : Manfrotto tripods

capers
09-02-2011, 7:35pm
Can anyone tell me why Manfrotto use 3/8" threads? I've had many cameras over 60 years but have never found one with 3/8".

I like manfrottos and use adapters and other intermediaries twixt camera and tripod but have never understood the 3/8".

ricktas
09-02-2011, 8:08pm
the thread on the manfrotto plates screw into Canon, Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Haselblad and more. My guess is that Manfrotto use the thread cause that is what they need to use to attach to all the major camera brands.

peterb666
09-02-2011, 8:38pm
The 3/8" thread is standard for semi-professional and professional tripods. It is meant to have a head screwed into it and except for very lightweight heads, they are all threaded for the 3/8 bolt. You don't screw a camera directly to the tripod, it is jut too limiting.

KevPride
09-02-2011, 8:48pm
Usually you are correct on these things Rick but the thread on base of all/ most Camera's are 1/4" not 3/8".

Manfrotto do for some reason offer both 3/8 & 1/4 - I think perhaps 3/8 was used at some time in the past but not on the current crop of camera's.

capers
10-02-2011, 8:57am
Many thanks for your replies.
Cheers

CAP
10-02-2011, 3:48pm
My Manfrotto tripod uses an adaptor plate which fixes separately to the camera then clips onto the tripod for fast on/off and all that.....
Guessing you are talking about the thread to which the tripod head fixes to the base/legs.
3/8" has been their standard for eons, don't know about other manufacturers, but if different, then it just means that Manfrotto heads only fit Manfrotto bases.
"bit like how you can't fit the competitions lens to your camera"