PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for a beginner and printing

MBsa
31-01-2011, 7:54pm
Hi all

I am starting out, and have no idea where to start with lighting, at the moment I dont have anything but the flash on my camera and natural light, which is ok but will need something very soon as I have people asking me to photograph their children after seeing what I can do.
Where would I get lighting at a good price for a beginner?

I also would like to know where is the best place to get photos printed. Obviously need to go a step up from radio rentals 10c prints haha.. I am in SA..

What are some recommendations. Thanks in advance

Mel

OzzieTraveller
01-02-2011, 9:21am
G'day Mel

In the first instance I'd suggest popping into your local bookshop & chase up a 'how-to' book on the subject

The cheapest lighting option for you at the moment is a reflector !! You can buy them - or make your own ...
Get a sheet of white cardboard from the newsagent and on one side, glue some household alfoil

The technique is to 1- very gently roll the alfoil into a large ball then smooth it out again, 2- glue it dull-shine side up onto the cardboard

Your photo assistant then uses the board to bounce window light back into the shadow side of the faces you are photographing

Regards, Phil

MBsa
01-02-2011, 9:57am
Thanks Phil. I will give this a go. :)

kiwi
01-02-2011, 11:15am
Yes, natural light is always good

For first entry into artificial light is to get an external flash, light stand and unbrella. You can trigger the flash if yor camera supports commander mode, you can buy a flash cable, or a radio trigger. Ebay's the best for all this stuff and it can be done quite cheaply

Re printing - well, look up photo labs in your area. There should be some, if not the harvey normans etc dont do a bad job really, but it can be a store by store proposition. If radio rental does a good job - then why not.