PDA

View Full Version : Comments: Vivitar Filter Kit (CPL+UV+F-DL) for my new Canon 550D

Zhen
29-01-2011, 4:03pm
hello everyone

I just got my Canon 550D and now in the market to look for filters for protection mainly. Search eBay :D and found this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/58MM-FILTER-KIT-CANON-T1i-T2i-500D-550D-18-55mm-/360338293476?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item53e5d602e4

I never heard of vivitar brand filters but never judge it in anyway. So I am seeking opinions if anyone have had one of these and how good are they?

Art Vandelay
29-01-2011, 4:32pm
Howdy.

Mention of UV filters usually ends up with a resouding 'don't bother' The reason being if it's protection your after, a lens hood does that better and is useful as well. Putting extra glass on a lens usually compromises image quality. A really harsh enviroment like regular salt water spray or massive dust may be the only time they'd offer any real 'protection'.

A CPL can be useful

The Fluoro filter on in that add wouldn't be too useful.. (see UV filter reasons). Changes for fluoro lighting can be done via white balance settings.

etherial
29-01-2011, 5:17pm
Howdy.

Mention of UV filters usually ends up with a resouding 'don't bother' The reason being if it's protection your after, a lens hood does that better and is useful as well. Putting extra glass on a lens usually compromises image quality. A really harsh enviroment like regular salt water spray or massive dust may be the only time they'd offer any real 'protection'.

A CPL can be useful

The Fluoro filter on in that add wouldn't be too useful.. (see UV filter reasons). Changes for fluoro lighting can be done via white balance settings.

That's good advice. Buy a lens hood for protection which also has the added benefit of improving contrast. Save your money for a decent polarising filter.

peterb666
29-01-2011, 6:11pm
Vivitar are not quite the brand they use to be in the 1970s etc.

If you are going to buy screw-in filters, get Hoya or B+W.

The only time I ever use a UV filter is if I know I am going into an environment with sea spray and even then I don't most of the time.

Zhen
30-01-2011, 1:57am
Thank you for all the advises! ^_^
Really appreciated and I'm now as clear as water.......;)

Now I know what I'm going to get
1. A lens hood
2. A good polarising filter for 'just-in-case' scenarios!