PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM

marcusjn
19-01-2011, 6:12pm
Hi, wondering if any of the member own the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM. Looking at getting one for my D90 (I know it is a FF lens but not concerned about losing wide angle as I prefer to shoot at the longer focal)

The lens is close on $1000 - $1200 so really wanting to make the right choice in lens. So wanting to hear the thoughts and opinions from anyone with that lens before I invest that sort of cash.

My other option is the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 OS HSM - So again anyone with that lens care to share their thoughts and opinions would also help !!!!

Thanks

ricktas
19-01-2011, 6:31pm
My Sigma 24-70 is the sharpest lens I own. I can not recommend it more highly. You will not be disappointed.

I @ M
19-01-2011, 6:58pm
We bought a 24-70 about three years ago when a camera store in Sydney closed down and they sold off all there stock on e$ay, it has taken literally thousands of shots on DX bodies and now it is put to use on an FX body as well.
It has never failed to disappoint, as sharp as you would ever need, renders colour well, handles flair adequately on sunny days and on either body it is an excellent lens for indoor flash work.

I shouldn't tell you that it cost $450.00 at the time, Australian stock and warranty ( never needed though ) and it doesn't look like being anything other than a very solid performer for a long time.

MarkChap
19-01-2011, 8:28pm
I ahve the non HSM version and am very happy with it.

As sharp as you could want

kiwi
19-01-2011, 9:43pm
It's no more a fx lens than the nikon version by the way.

marcusjn
20-01-2011, 1:51pm
Thanks for you replys..... looks as if the 24-70 f2.8 might be a goer !!!!

@ricktas, do you have any pictures for me to have a look at ?

reaction
20-01-2011, 6:28pm
you may want to wait til feb to see if sigma outs an OS version of 24-70 f2.8, apparently their new products are announced in Feb.

marcusjn
20-01-2011, 8:28pm
dang.... an OS version of the 24-70mm would be great.

One of the reasons why I have been tossing up between the 24-70 and the 17-70 is because the 17-70 is OS.

Wonder if there are any Sigma rumours around the net on a release date or in fact IF it will come with OS ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

jdreamer
20-01-2011, 10:44pm
I had the non HSM version and I can tell you that it's one of my fav lenses and a very well spent purchase. Love it still.. will consider to get one in the near future again.

Let me tell you one easier way to get a cheaper price yet still Australian stock and warranty. Give CR Kennedy a call or fill the form online regarding pricematching and ask them to price match whichsoever site that sells them cheap on the internet. They will pricematch without asking any questions. :)

ricktas
21-01-2011, 8:09am
I had the non HSM version and I can tell you that it's one of my fav lenses and a very well spent purchase. Love it still.. will consider to get one in the near future again.

Let me tell you one easier way to get a cheaper price yet still Australian stock and warranty. Give CR Kennedy a call or fill the form online regarding pricematching and ask them to price match whichsoever site that sells them cheap on the internet. They will pricematch without asking any questions. :)

not exactly right, They have changed their policy to MAY match the price.