PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a new PC

enduro
30-12-2010, 10:33pm
OK. So I've decided to upgrade my 6yo 3GHz Pentium IV machine which just doesn't manage the new file sizes produced from my 7D. Lightroom 3.0 is just chugging along (taking a good 30sec to load an image) and using Nik software or generating HDR is not only slow, but often causes an unrecoverable error.

I have next week off to purchase the parts and put it together, there is the possibility of purchasing parts online. I've built quite a few PC's in the past so that technical are is not much of a problem.

To narrow things down a bit I'm hoping others on AP will assist on what might be required for rather quick photographic processing.

Things I won't need: Monitor, Mouse/keyboard and perhaps a DVD RW.

geoffsta
31-12-2010, 7:33am
My only advice is, don't get the lastest and greatest CPU, go back to what was the latest greatest last month. You will save $100's. This will allow you extra cash for a better video card.
Make sure that the motherboard can take heaps of RAM. USB 2.0 - 3.0. Oh, and make sure the power supply has heaps of power.

Cage
31-12-2010, 9:18am
I guess you've looked at the upgrade route as opposed to a rebuild?

As Geoff said, look at what was the latest and greatest yesterday. The PSU is often overlooked as causing bottlenecks.

I'd start by looking at my motherboard's specs and seeing how far you can push on that platform. A big bottleneck in PP is memory. I'm running 4gb @ 1066 and I'm just about to double it. Also you probably need a minimum of 512MB of memory on your video card, more is better.

I don't know how savvy you are with various components, but I'm sure if you posted a list of your current set-up, with model nos. for your mobo, video card and RAM, you would get some useful suggestions.

enduro
31-12-2010, 11:03am
My only advice is, don't get the lastest and greatest CPU, go back to what was the latest greatest last month. You will save $100's. This will allow you extra cash for a better video card.

Thats good advice for alll.

In the past I have always used the same tactic.

geoffsta
31-12-2010, 11:12am
Do a google for "All Needs Computers". They are in WA. The delivery is very quick, and the prices are good. you could get a decent MB & CPU for around $200. They have a special on a 2tb hard drive for $99. Ram is pretty cheap as well.

maximus1964
31-12-2010, 8:27pm
Sounds like solid advice. Get a large video card, heaps of RAM, a good PSU and a high end CPU and you'll be fine. Make sure you have a decent monitor too

enduro
31-12-2010, 9:40pm
Sounds like solid advice. Get a large video card, heaps of RAM, a good PSU and a high end CPU and you'll be fine. Make sure you have a decent monitor too

So what exactly is heaps of RAM these days?

I'm running 2 Gig (that's all the board will take). .

From memory, min requ for LR 3.0 is 2Gig & I think CS5 is about the same.

I already have a 19" LCD which does the job for now, but something better will be on the horiizon.

mongo
31-12-2010, 10:51pm
Mongo is thinking of doing the same at the moment but is strongly considering the move to a Mac finally. However, this is a big decision and learning curve not to mention expense. Looked into it but not yet decided. Not sure that what Mongo said will be helpful to you Wayne - just more to confuse you. Stick to your current upgrade excercise it will probably be the smoothest way to go. Get the fastest CPUs you can manage ( i 7 ??), lots of fast ram and at least a 1gb dedicated graphics card. Make sure all the bits are compatible too. Good luck.

Kym
31-12-2010, 10:57pm
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs as a start.

Then get it cheap from MSY

jbee
31-12-2010, 11:07pm
So what exactly is heaps of RAM these days?

I'm running 2 Gig (that's all the board will take). .

From memory, min requ for LR 3.0 is 2Gig & I think CS5 is about the same..

I just changed out my old PC for s new too - re the RAM I think if you are running a 32bit OS 3Gb is the most you can use no matter how much you put in, go to a 64bit OS and it will use a great deal more, I have 8Gb in mine.
Also when when the SW manufacturer says you need 1Gb or 2Gb etc that's a minimum not an Ideal. Microsoft for example are notorious for quoting minimum RAM amounts that sure the OS will run on, but it will run abysmally slow at that level.

mongo
01-01-2011, 9:48am
So what exactly is heaps of RAM these days? .

Mongo would say, 4gb min.
Mrs Mongo has 8gb ram in her new machine

Jordan Compte
01-01-2011, 10:47pm
what is your budget for the new setup/upgrade?

if it's under $1,000 I can help you with a budget AMD setup that will be amazing.

enduro
01-01-2011, 11:24pm
what is your budget for the new setup/upgrade?

if it's under $1,000 I can help you with a budget AMD setup that will be amazing.

Looking at under 1K. THis should be easily managable given all I need is what's going in the box. I've never spent more than $800 on a PC (built them myself) and they tend to be very good for about 5 years.

What AMD components are you considering.

I'll be needing to consider if I will be heading into the 64bit area too ...

Allann
01-01-2011, 11:50pm
My son recently built this for another AP member. Goes like a rocket
Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, Zotac 8400GS 512Mb GDDR2 video card, Corsair Force Series 120GB solid state drive, 6Gb Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 Ram, and an Intel CPU i7-950. If your power supply isn't big enough then Cosair VX-550 ATX.

Should come in close to $1K depending where you get it from. The SSD will really make this thing fly especially if managed correctly.