PDA

View Full Version : Monitors - Which do you use?

Dylfish
28-12-2010, 10:22pm
Hey Guys,

What monitors does everyone use an are there any recommendations out there? im sick of editing on a tiny macbook so i thinbk ill go back to my new pc but with a good monitor.

Any suggestions?

Boo53
28-12-2010, 10:31pm
Dylfish

About 6 months ago I asked a similar question, so this thread might help
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?59101-what-to-look-for-in-a-computer-monitor

Wayne
28-12-2010, 11:32pm
I can use MBP 17" it' a great screen (anti-glare version) for editing on a notebook, and it calibrates well. Main monitor/s is twin Dell U3011's 30" each makes for serious real estate. Previously had twin Dell u2410's and they were good too.

agb
28-12-2010, 11:49pm
Dell u2311h, ips, with a calibration done using information from here.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2311h.htm

LJG
29-12-2010, 8:47am
Dell seems to be the common thread here. I have a Dell 24" at home and it is a pretty darn good bit of kit, I love it. My work computer has a 22" LG and while it is still quite large it is pretty ordinary in picture quality compared to the Dell.

rowdy23
29-12-2010, 10:44am
Dell seems to be the common thread here. I have a Dell 24" at home and it is a pretty darn good bit of kit, I love it. My work computer has a 22" LG and while it is still quite large it is pretty ordinary in picture quality compared to the Dell.

i was lucky enough to get a 24inch dell for xmas.. l.e.d hd..... i just need to fix my old dinosaur to get it up and running.
i cant wait.

Dylfish
30-12-2010, 12:01pm
thanks, how does the gamut of these monitors stand up against others?

dulvariprestige
03-01-2011, 11:51pm
I notice dells get mentioned a lot when a monitor question comes up, are there certain models to look for, the reason I'm asking, is that when I went shopping for a new monitor the dells didn't impress me, so I bought a LG 2350 LED, and I really like it.

Wayne
04-01-2011, 12:01am
Look for IPS Vs TN panels. The U3011's have almost full Adobe RGB gamut coverage and calibrate to a Delta E of around .2 - .5

Geoff
04-01-2011, 1:45am
In Dell land the "U" series seems to represent IPS panels - these have a better colour gamut than TN panels. I rather like my U2410 but I quietly pine for an Eizo :)

dulvariprestige
04-01-2011, 11:32pm
Thanks guys, I have no idea what that means lol, so I best be doing some research on it:th3:.

Though I think I might of heard about an Eizo on a podcast that I listen to a while ago, from what I remember they are very pricey.

Big Pix
04-01-2011, 11:38pm
Hey Guys,

What monitors does everyone use an are there any recommendations out there? im sick of editing on a tiny macbook so i thinbk ill go back to my new pc but with a good monitor.

Any suggestions?

....... mac have 24 inch screens in the refurbish store...... your macbook will come into its own with this setup...

I use my MacBook on a 20 inch mac screen from time to time.....

Dylfish
28-01-2011, 5:25pm
I ended up getting a Dell u2410 24". Great monitor, highly recomend it!

Namus
29-01-2011, 12:36pm
Dell 24" 2408WFP - don't think they sell them retail anymore, but it's a fantastic monitor; you can also rotate the screen into portrait orientation if you wish/need, and it has SD/CF card read on the side built in - highly recommend :th3:

kbp
05-02-2011, 7:32pm
In my studio we use Apple Cinema Displays on my windows based PC's - But if you have a MacBook, you can plug straight into that when your editing rather than reverting back to your PC as a thought?

The cinema displays are pretty pricey, but I dont regret my choice at all :) It is such a hard decission when there is so much out there, I googled my heart out for a month befre I made my choice :)

Batesy
09-02-2011, 4:30pm
I ended up getting a Dell u2410 24". Great monitor, highly recomend it!

Ditto

Kym
09-02-2011, 4:33pm
This may help...

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

IPS (best colour) are best for photography and TN are best for gaming (crap colour, great response time)

capers
10-02-2011, 2:09pm
My query is slightly different. As a hobbyist, I've no great need for sophisticated equipment but I'm very conscious that my colour balance is way, way off.

I can buy a Spyder2 for AUS$99 whereas a Spyder 3 will cost me about AUS$450.

I'd go for the Spyder 2 except that it seems that it may not operate under Windows 7. It is compatible with XP which I currently run.

Any ideas?

rellik666
10-02-2011, 3:34pm
Just a note on monitors, beware looking at monitors in shops....they tend to have the colours pumped up to make them really bright and look cool in the shops....this is no good for photos.....the Dell U series come ready calibrated. This matters when you want to start printing your pictures.....

If your screen doesn't come calibrated be prepard to get some kind of calibration system such as a spyder.

Michaela
10-02-2011, 4:58pm
My query is slightly different. As a hobbyist, I've no great need for sophisticated equipment but I'm very conscious that my colour balance is way, way off.

I'd go for the Spyder 2 except that it seems that it may not operate under Windows 7. It is compatible with XP which I currently run.

Any ideas?

I use the Spyder 3 Express - does the basics and it's not as expensive as the others.

capers
11-02-2011, 11:31am
To Michaela:
"I use the Spyder 3 Express - does the basics and it's not as expensive as the others."

Thanks that's right within my budget and looks like the answer to my needs.
Cheers.

Analog6
11-02-2011, 11:42am
24" iMac and it is great. I use a Spyder 3 calibrator monthly. Rarely needs any adjusting, and was minimal the first time too.

Kerry
11-02-2011, 10:25pm
I have a Dell 2209WA which is IPS based..am very happy with it!

Perfectoarts
14-02-2011, 9:49am
I have a Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 LED Monitor. It is a lovely monitor...except..... For some reason using the Spyder 3 on it give me the worst colours ever! So I have had to resort the basic software that came with the monitor. Works fine but I always have the niggling feeling that my colours are a bit off and dread to think how other people are viewing my photography on line.

steamboat
10-03-2011, 4:24am
I used to use (and it's still on my desk!) a LaCie electron blue 22" CRT
Back in it's day....bewdifull!!!!!!

Now use my iMac 24"

Tjfrnds
11-03-2011, 12:01am
Just bought a Dell U2311h for my macbook pro..was on sale so finally bit the bullet and selected 'add to cart':)

bushbikie
11-03-2011, 10:16pm

Any ideas?

I run the Spyder 2 Express under Windoze 7 Home Premium - have not come across any problems with the installation or usage so far but your mileage may vary.

To the OP - using a Samsung SyncMaster 2333 23" LCD screen here - seems to do the job although I'm no PS Master - colours seem to be pretty faithful after running the Spyder 2 over it.

Keith Young
13-05-2011, 1:53am
I use a Dell U2711. I love it, however it developed what can only be described as a "snail trail" with a large number of pixels going a drift in a rough line 4" long. The monitor comes with an automatic 3 year replacement warranty and a new one was sent out one working day later no questions asked. Great customer service, I just hope this new one lasts longer. I use a Spyder3 Pro I got of Ebay for $180 new from the UK. However when I got the U2711 the Spyder would not calibrate the new monitor, but a quick visit to the Spyder website to grab the updated software and the calibrator can now handle this wide gamut monitor no problems.

martycon
21-05-2011, 12:15pm
Thanks for this thread. My query re monitors is similar and replies to yuo have been worthwhile. Thanks also to contributors. I only hope I can afford a dell u series

Roo
22-05-2011, 12:44pm
I use the Samsung SyncMaster 2443, I have a few of these and they are very nice especially the extra height you get from the screen.

Harves
22-05-2011, 1:50pm
I have a Samsung Synchmaster 931c, it has a bit of age on it now though. It seems to have a shadow on it, can't say I noticed it before installing Windows 7.

brindyman
22-05-2011, 3:37pm
x2 benq

a v2400w and a g2420hd both great screens apart from one being 1920x1200 and the other being 1920x1080. id probably rather go the same size if i could the v2400w is an awesome screen but because its a 1920x1200 screen they are more expensive....and getting harder to find

the dell IPS monitors are fantastic. they arent cheap but well worth it. i dont own one but i know people that do

Paul G
19-06-2011, 1:22am
Dell u2311h, ips, with a calibration done using information from here.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2311h.htm

How has this one been going for you? I'm thinking of buying two from the Dell site shortly for $170 each which seems to be a damn good price.

JM Tran
19-06-2011, 1:33am
How has this one been going for you? I'm thinking of buying two from the Dell site shortly for $170 each which seems to be a damn good price.

how did u manage to find them for $170 each? Cheapest I had ever seen them was $210 from some special. I bought 2 of the U2311Hs at $250 each to run externally with the laptop and I think they are excellent value for money and great for photo editing and accuracy.

mikew09
19-06-2011, 8:30am
I have a Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 LED Monitor. It is a lovely monitor...except..... For some reason using the Spyder 3 on it give me the worst colours ever! So I have had to resort the basic software that came with the monitor. Works fine but I always have the niggling feeling that my colours are a bit off and dread to think how other people are viewing my photography on line.

I also have a Samsung SyncMaster, it is a interim buy for my laptop to get me buy until I buy my desktop sometime in the future. It is a great monitor and I find the colours not that bad actually and it does sync pretty well colour wise with printing and my work monitor, my main complaint with the monitor is photo's are always darker on other screens and I pretty much always find that I have to bighten the photo when printed, but the colours seem to be fine (not brilliant) but good enough to be workable. For the price I paid about 12 months ago I am not unhappy and it serves me well.

Not tht far away from a dell with there new ultra sharp monitor.

Paul G
19-06-2011, 1:02pm
how did u manage to find them for $170 each? Cheapest I had ever seen them was $210 from some special. I bought 2 of the U2311Hs at $250 each to run externally with the laptop and I think they are excellent value for money and great for photo editing and accuracy.

It was a bit odd.

I saw the monitor mentioned on a review site and when I googled it a link came up for a Dell specials page which had them for $168 each for a maximum of two so I saved two of them to my cart.

Strange thing is if I search the Dell site directly for that model the best price I can find is $248!

The page with them at that low price has to be there somewhere though!

JM Tran
19-06-2011, 3:25pm
It was a bit odd.

I saw the monitor mentioned on a review site and when I googled it a link came up for a Dell specials page which had them for $168 each for a maximum of two so I saved two of them to my cart.

Strange thing is if I search the Dell site directly for that model the best price I can find is $248!

The page with them at that low price has to be there somewhere though!

yeah let me know Paul Im interested in getting 2 more for my photography office hehe

Paul G
19-06-2011, 10:07pm
I don't know what goes on with that Dell site!! Best price I can find them for today is $299? I did find a coupon site that would get you 15% off that though.

Might pay to call Dell tomorrow as the fineprint for the deal said it expired on June 23. The starting price was $248 and you got $80 off for a max of 2 monitors hence the deal I got.

smallfooties
21-06-2011, 6:44pm
I use the Samsung SyncMaster 2033sw... probably outdated now... but i think it works fine... :confused013

Ratmick
21-06-2011, 8:19pm
I have a ViewSonic VX2250 Full 1080p HD LED Screen.

It's 21.5", and was pretty cheap, but it seems ok except my laptop only has HDMI and VGA out and the screen has VGA and DVI in, hence I'm stuck with VGA. The laptop seems to have issues where if you have the power supply connected it causes a flickering that is bloody irritating...if you unplug the power supply then it's fine.

Looking at upgrading to a Dell 24" or 27" U-Series, but will go with HDMI out of the laptop instead as I've plugged it into a HD LCD TV and it didn't have an issue.

Mick

Tjfrnds
28-06-2011, 12:23am
yeah let me know Paul Im interested in getting 2 more for my photography office hehe

I don't know what goes on with that Dell site!! Best price I can find them for today is $299? I did find a coupon site that would get you 15% off that though.

Harris technology currently has the U2311h on sale for $222
http://www.ht.com.au/part/Y5362-Dell-UltraSharp-U2311H-LCD-display-TFT-23/detail.hts

Paul G
29-06-2011, 1:55am
Mine turned up a few days ago and the new computer today. Got it all set up tonight and I'm pretty impressed with the monitors. Only one issue - the stands ae different to that pictured. Mine does not seem to have any swivel, pivot or height adjustment, only tilt.

JM Tran
29-06-2011, 2:07am
Mine turned up a few days ago and the new computer today. Got it all set up tonight and I'm pretty impressed with the monitors. Only one issue - the stands ae different to that pictured. Mine does not seem to have any swivel, pivot or height adjustment, only tilt.

thats strange Paul, have u tried grabbing the monitor and swiveling it to a 180 degree portrait rotation?

Paul G
29-06-2011, 2:24am
Yep. No movement at all other than tilt. Bit annoyed. The pedestal that the monitor attaches to has no adjustments at all. The monitor just clips onto a plate which provides the tilt and that is it. :(

Paul G
29-06-2011, 9:59pm
Just realised another thing. It doesn't have the built in USB ports either that it's supposed to...

Dell's getting a phone call tomorrow.

etherial
20-07-2011, 9:08am
For anyone interested, Harris have the U2311H for just $222 at the moment.

http://www.ht.com.au/part/Y5362-Dell-UltraSharp-U2311H-LCD-display-TFT-23/detail.hts?affiliate=RS3

KeeFy
25-07-2011, 11:01pm
U2711 and loving it!