View Full Version : Has anyone upgraded to Photoshop Elements 9

chrisbevan4
27-12-2010, 12:01am
I currently run Photoshop Elements 7, and have been reading about version 9 and am trying to decide to upgrade now or wait a while

There seems to be a lot of new features from version 7, and some
would be useful/fun but only if I use them!

I did read in a UK Magazine that version 9 lets you use Layer Masks like Photoshop
which would be useful.

Can anyone offer further info or their opinion on the value of upgrading to Version 9 of Photoshop Elements.

Boo53
30-12-2010, 11:57am
Chris

I can't answer your question, but am curious myself.

I use CS5 at home and the office, but when I'm on holidays, etc; I use pse7 on my netbook & have wondered whether its worth upgrading to pse9.

Perhaps this just snuck through when everyone was having a boxing day nap and we might get and answer now

farmer_rob
30-12-2010, 12:04pm
I have PSE8 (upgraded from PSE5). I will be upgrading to PSE9 at some time (I need d7000 support in ACR - only available in PSE9 :action:, and currently use a DNG converter) - but would like to hear what others think before I do.

(The "features" in 8 over 5 are not that great - but I am hoping the proper layers in 9 will be worth it.)

Speedway
30-12-2010, 1:46pm
I am also watching this thread with interest. I use Elements 5 at the moment and one thing I will miss when I build my new computer is the text transparency settings in the old Ulead Photo Express 3 (not compatible with win7) for watermarking, I'm not sure whether the later versions of Elements have this either.

jbee
30-12-2010, 3:58pm
I Just got Elements 9 but have not used the previous versions other than PSE4 - its a lot different to that.

Seems great but I cannot say i am a fan of the organiser, i used ACDsee before and it's much more intuitive than PSE9 for organising, I find my self importing with PSE9 and then culling and viewing in Canon Zoom Browser. PSE9 organiser will not let you have a copy of a file in a separate location with the same name - It just says "Image already in catalogue" and that really bugs me I have to rename the file in the other folder.

Maybe i will get used to the organiser, but the editor seems great so far and that's what I got it for after all. So I'm certainly happy with it. I got the version with Premeir elements included as the 7D takes video, have not yet tried PE9 though.

chrisbevan4
30-12-2010, 11:35pm
jbee

I agree

I don't like or use organiser in PSE7,from what you saying PSE9 version still has
Image already in catalogue message :(, Which put me off using it.

Some of the info about PSE9 on the Web, made me think the organiser had
improved!

But I remember getting the same message in PSE7 Organiser when I tried
to use it.

chrisbevan4
30-12-2010, 11:38pm
I am also watching this thread with interest. I use Elements 5 at the moment and one thing I will miss when I build my new computer is the text transparency settings in the old Ulead Photo Express 3 (not compatible with win7) for watermarking, I'm not sure whether the later versions of Elements have this either.

Speedway

Have a look at this website, has lots of free actions etc for PSE - May well have a watermark action for you
http://www.thecoffeeshopblog.com/

Chris

fillum
30-12-2010, 11:53pm
I'm still using version 4 of Elements, although I do raw conversion and most basic processing in Capture NX2. I use some free plugins that add layer masks and curves adjustments, so haven't really found a compelling reason to upgrade. Some resources here (http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselementsaddons/Add_ons_and_Tools_for_Photoshop_Elements.htm).

Cheers.

jbee
02-01-2011, 7:45pm

Is this what you mean ?

Just go open new, set background as Transparent, Add text or whatever ( i use the Copyright symbol a letter J and a clipart bee), then click edit/define brush and save it - it appears as a resizable brush you can just stamp on your image.

In PSE9 I click on the add new layer icon, set the blending as soft light and then adjust the opacity to taste.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5169/5315356750_5d1a338c83_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49852569@N07/5315356750/)

Speedway
15-01-2011, 11:36am
Thanks Chris and jbee, sorry for the slow reply, my computer was out of action for a while. Attached is what I do for my web site using Photo Express 3.

Keith.

Pauls123
04-08-2011, 8:13pm
I've recently upgraded to PS9, one of my fav things in it is the filling in of the outer parts in panoramic shots, instead of having to crop. Mostly it does a brilliant job,.....Paul