PDA

View Full Version : Trip to India in December/January Recommendations, Advice?

Matix
28-11-2010, 7:31pm
Hi, my wife and I are taking a tour to India end of December for 3 weeks. looking for advice, recommendations on security, cultural sensitivities etc.. taking GH1, GF1 and 7-14mm, 14-45mm, 20mm, 100-300mm and 14-140mm.

Side trip at the start to New Delhi, Agra and the Taj Mahal - Best time of day? AM, PM, sunrise etc? Vantage point? What and where not to etc...

Tour then heads to Hyderabad and Bangalore, Mysore, Nagarhole, Ooty, Coonoor, Cochin, Alleppey, Marari Beach for a food, fabrics and spices tour....

Any experiences, recommendations based on personal knowledge would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

ricktas
28-11-2010, 8:20pm
The search feature on AP could be your friend: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?67103-India&highlight=india+trip

Matix
28-11-2010, 11:29pm
Thanks Rick, will do some more searching on the subject.

Phil

farmer_rob
28-11-2010, 11:54pm
We went to India about 4 years ago. Started in New Delhi, then Rajasthan, Agra/Taj Mahal, back to Delhi and home.

If you haven't been before, it is a total shock. Nothing can prepare you.

In Delhi, you will be picked as a newcomer, and seen as an easy target - just say no, and ignore pretty much everyone's advice, even when it seems sensible. (We were advised not to go "that way" - there "was a demonstration and the police and army were out". This turned out to be a total ruse to get us to go to a "friend's" shop, which was in the opposite way.) Ignore beggars. It is hard, they are everywhere, but to do otherwise invites too much attention.

We had no problems with personal safety, although I wasn't carrying quite as much camera gear as you are planning to.

Taj Mahal - best time of day? When you can get in. It is mind blowing. However, the major monuments in most places are well worth it - Red Fort in Delhi, Hanuman's tomb etc. If you can, get to Jaipur and Fatehpur Sikri.

We were on an organised trip (horseriding and sightseeing), and the tour company arranged most things for us - such as Taj Mahal visits, guides, car and driver, the "preferred" carpet shop etc.

The main cultural sensitivity seemed to be taking our shoes off before going into some temples and mosques. (Remember that the Taj Mahal is a muslim tomb, and Delhi has a significant muslim population and heritage.) There were places where photography was not allowed, but this was made pretty clear. Also, some people (such as snake charmers) expect a tip if you are photographing them.

Bone up on your cricket - you will be asked. ("Where you from?" "Australia" "Ahh.. Ricky Ponting Shane Warne" was a common conversation.)

In our experience, it was impossible to get a good cup of coffee, even in high-end hotels - don't even try. (To prepare yourself, make a cup of coffee and add two teaspoons of salt. It tastes the same - most water around Delhi and Rajasthan is bore water and heavily mineralised.)

We had a great time there and thoroughly enjoyed it. I expect you will too.