PDA

View Full Version : Tripod for 7D

crum
17-11-2010, 2:06pm
I'm looking at buying a new tripod to go with my 7D as the one I currently have is a little bit too lightweight for it. The camera will have the 15-85mm lens mounted to it the majority of the time. I will only be using it for shooting waterfalls and similar stuff to that and don't want anything too large and heavy as I'll be taking it with me in my day pack on bushwalks. Any suggestions/links would be much appreciated

daniel5600
17-11-2010, 2:50pm
What budget?
Im about to buy a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3, which i believe to be very cool after all my research. extremely light and versatile, fairly solid for its weight and size.
the column goes sideways, legs very low and the centre column can be inverted to put the camera almost flat to the ground
If you want a little bigger you can go the 055CXPRO3.

However (from B+H) US$400 for the 55, or US$300 for the 190, so on the expensive side, but real cool.

Cage
17-11-2010, 3:11pm
As a good starting point, have a read of this thread......http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?71593-A-beginners-guide-to-buying-a-tripod-and-head

And please feel free to ask any further questions.

Cheers

Kevin

crum
17-11-2010, 3:31pm
Cheers for the replies. I probably hadn't budgeted quite that much daniel5600. Will I find anything which will be good enough in a lower price range? I've found even with basically no breeze whatsoever I can't get sharp photos with what I have now. The head is quite flimsy and its mpre than likely made to suit a point and shoot camera instead of a bulky SLR.

daniel5600
17-11-2010, 4:10pm
Yes, you can get a lot of cheaper tripods that a still solid.
might be worth your while to check this store out...

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com

They are an importer of Benro Tripods, fairly impressive for a lower price. i really like them, almost got one instead of the manfrotto, but i wanted a few tiny features manfrotto had that benro didnt.

crum
17-11-2010, 5:32pm
They look the goods. Do you also need to buy the ball head seperate for them or will the camera mount straight to it?

daniel5600
17-11-2010, 8:40pm
when i was in the store, the ones i was looking at had dual screw mounts on top that let you mount the camera straight to the legs if you wanted.
but i would email to double check it for the legs you choose. ball head isnt much extra anyway and would make things a lot easier.

Rod038
17-11-2010, 9:31pm
You will want a separate head. It would be very restrictive having the camera screwed directly to the top of the tripod. The head will have a quick release plate which means you wont have to unscrew the camera each time you want to take it off the tripod.

AnzacPride
17-11-2010, 11:34pm
If youre on a budget like me then the higher end Inca stuff seems pretty good(Ive only just got mine today I531, see other thread). Or the Slik ones have a nice feel to them.
Being pretty new to the whole game myself Im not sure what makes a good tripod myself but I hope this helps.

Cheers Dan

ausguitarman
18-11-2010, 12:37am
Yes, you can get a lot of cheaper tripods that a still solid.
might be worth your while to check this store out...

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com

They are an importer of Benro Tripods, fairly impressive for a lower price. i really like them, almost got one instead of the manfrotto, but i wanted a few tiny features manfrotto had that benro didnt.

I use a Benro tripod, monopod and haed when I travel.

Great bang for your buck and bought it from these guys.

ZedEx
19-11-2010, 8:55am
If you're on a budget but like a lot of the features of the Manfrotto stuff (centre column going sideways etc for macro/copy work etc) try the Vanguard Alta Pro series. Their higher end one (not the carbon fibre) is quite cheap relatively (under 300) and your get a lot of great features for the money (ball head, rock bag, the centre column thing, bag etc).

Dylan & Marianne
23-11-2010, 11:12am
Benro are built very similiary to the gitzo series that I use.
I've not used one but have played aroudn wtih friend's equipment - they seem sturdy , are light and importantly <50% the price of gitzos.

Cage
23-11-2010, 8:49pm
crum, the starting point, in most shooting scenarios, is to get a tripod that suits you height !

SnowA
23-11-2010, 9:06pm
Another satisfied Benro user here - I got the travel angel C-268 CF. Rock solid with a 7D + 70-200 (but possibly a bit more than you/d be looking to spend - the equivalent Aluminium one would be good, albeit slightly heavier).