PDA

View Full Version : ND Filters

crum
04-11-2010, 8:34pm
I'm looking at purchasing a couple of filters to go with the 15-85mm lens on my 7D. I will generally only be using them for waterfalls, etc. Would a ND4 and a CPL be sufficient?

Just after a couple of suggestions on which ones to buy. Any links would be appreciated

StephenM
04-11-2010, 10:05pm
Hi crum,

I'd recommend an ND8 rather than ND4 - it will give you the option of longer exposure times which you'll want for waterfalls.

As far as the CPL goes, I just bought a 72mm "Hoya Super Pro 1" CPL for my 15-85 lens last Saturday. Discount Digital Photographics have them on sale at the moment for $110 which isn't a bad price!

Cheers,
Stephen

jasnat
04-11-2010, 11:13pm
Crum,

I'm with Stephen with the ND8 a filter gives you a couple of stops for waterfalls and also will give you a few more options on brighter days. I have a ND400 (9 stops) and I use this more than my Cokin filters but that's what I'm experimenting with at the moment.

Grab a CPL you will always find a use for it.

As for the links. Try http://www.filtershop.com.au/

Or, Google and search AP for any tips and tricks :th3:

crum
05-11-2010, 1:34am
Cheers for the replies. The Hoya Super Pro 1 CPL sounds like the go then.

What about the ND8. Any suggestions on which one to get as there is soooooo many options

reaction
05-11-2010, 6:04pm
same one
get a Pro1 kenko or hoya

fairy bombs
05-11-2010, 7:10pm
Thanks Jase for the link:th3:

I have just bought a 10-22 Canon lens and need to get a ND8 filter,I think DDP has them for $50 at present (77 mm)

I have seen StephenM's outstanding images using the ND8 looks like the way to go.

Anyone Know much a bout graduation filters? Might look into that set up for 'Just on Dusk' photos.

I have been told HDR is the way to handle all the different lighting aspects,so will have ago with that too.

But,I like to try and do as much as possible 'in camera'

Sorry OP,for asking questions on your thread!

Cheers FB

reaction
05-11-2010, 10:52pm
FB, good price for 77mm

graduation filters I think are mostly a waste of $50+
you can do it with HDR instead
plus they are so specific and useless for other photos

just an ND8 + CPL is great for 95% of stuff

etherial
05-11-2010, 10:52pm
Remember filters for the 10-22 should be slim filters, any others will create vignetting.

crum
06-11-2010, 1:24am
Is this the ND8 which I'm looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOYA-72mm-ND8-Pro-1-Digital-Neutral-Density-Filter-72-/140473932514?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item20b4e61ae2

Rod038
06-11-2010, 12:55pm
Yes that will work or even the Hoya HMC ND8 which is less than half the price of the Pro 1 on Ebay and it has free Postage.

idrive
06-11-2010, 9:50pm
Out of interest - What are everyone's thoughts on the LCW filters? One filter for all occasions?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LCW-FADER-ND-mark-II-MK2-77mm-Genuine-Design-/120642448567?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item1c16d9acb7

crum
06-11-2010, 11:00pm
How does a Hoya HD CPL compare to the super pro1?

Wayne
07-11-2010, 12:07am
B+W filters are not much more expensive than the prices quoted here for Hoya filters. No casts, no ghosts Schott glass and I believe they now come with lifetime warranty even if you break it!

ZedEx
07-11-2010, 2:42am
B+W filters are not much more expensive than the prices quoted here for Hoya filters. No casts, no ghosts Schott glass and I believe they now come with lifetime warranty even if you break it!

+1 for b+w. Have been a long time user of Hoya but recently purchased a b+w 1000X ND and i'm very happy with the quality. You really start to notice the deterioration in image quality (when using some superb lenses) with crap filters

Dylan & Marianne
08-11-2010, 5:01pm
FB, good price for 77mm

graduation filters I think are mostly a waste of $50+
you can do it with HDR instead
plus they are so specific and useless for other photos

I have to say I disagree with that comment ( quite strongly )
I used to be of that school of thought until I did get myself a decent set of filters.
If you shoot alot of landscapes you will find that you will often be exposure blending AND using GND filters.
I'll give you an example : you're shooting a sunset or sunrise scene , there are moving clouds lit up in the sky, there is water in the foreground you think would look good with long exposure.
If you choose the HDR option, you're going to be limited by just how long a shutter speed you can achieve in the bright sky no matter what your aperture is. I suppose you could put an ND on for long exposure on the sky but then the argument for not getting a filter loses weight because you're using a filter anyway ??
If you have filters available, you at least have the option of : 1. capturing the whold dynamic range in one scene (and cutting down PP time), 2. capturing the whole scene with a long exposure of the foreground AND sky. 3. you still have the option of exposure blending.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't consider HDR at all - it is a great option .
I'm saying that GND's definitely have a role in landscape photography BUT, as with anything, the best results tend to come with the better quality gear, so my only advice would be to make sure that you do enough research on the topic and make sure that you have a commitment to landscape photography - then go visit leefilters.com or singhray and don't forget that even with filters, you may need to exposure blend.

The two are not mutually exclusive but rather should cooperate for best results.

You can have a look at our website if you like - I'd say a good 80-90% of the landscapes were taken with a GND of some sort. Pre 2010, a lot more HDR work.
If you like the HDR look in those galleries, then ignore what I've just written above lol!

fairy bombs
08-11-2010, 10:22pm
Thanks dtoh.

I have had a look around and seen a few of these HDR images,and I did not like what I saw,I prefer to do

as much as I can 'in camera'.

Some people say I would be wasting my time and money buying filters,and should just do HDR.

I see one above comment by an experienced photographer,that a good Circular Polarizar filter and ND8 should

do around 90 to 95 % of the time,so I will try that first,I have a CPF and will get a ND8.

Cheers FB