PDA

View Full Version : What brand of memory card

beckscj
03-11-2010, 7:58pm
I need to purchase cards for my d300 which has just arrived. I want to buy from Cheap Chips and they have the following listed cards. What is the difference please?

CF Cards

Sandisk - Ultra or Extreme
Lexar - Platinum II or Professional

SD Cards

Sandisk - Ultra or Extreme III
Lexar - Platinum II or Professional

Also what does SDHC stand for and what does it mean? What does the Class rating mean ie; Class 6 or 10?

If it helps I want to get 8gb cards to start as this is my first DSLR. I will be photographing anything at the moment and moving into B&W Portraiture and some stock. Probably even some landscapes considering where I live.

All assisstance is greatly appreciated!

ricktas
03-11-2010, 8:16pm
You need to buy the TYPE of card for your camera. CF stands for Compact Flash, SD stands for..SD. Each camera is designed to take specific formats. Sort of like VHS and BETA or DVD and BluRay. One format is not necessarily compatible with all players, thus you need to know what card format your camera takes, then you look at what is available in that format.

The Nikon D300 takes : CompactFlash (Type I/II, compliant with UDMA); Microdrives

So you need to only look at those cards noted as Compact Flash or CF cards. Both Sandisk and Lexar have good reputations and I would (and have) buy both, either

mrDooba
03-11-2010, 8:27pm
I've been using Sandisk and have not been disappointed. I personally get the fastest cards available.

As the Rick said you camera takes CF cards only.

dulvariprestige
04-11-2010, 12:39pm
doesn't the d300 use both CF and SD cards

beckscj
04-11-2010, 12:55pm
I thought so too Jayde, although I have entered above that I have the d300 not he d300s. I think both bodies take both cards.

Cheers all

dulvariprestige
04-11-2010, 2:42pm
Sorry, I was wrong, d300s

ricktas
04-11-2010, 7:41pm
The D300 only takes CF cards. The D300s takes either CF or SD as it has dual slots.

beckscj
05-11-2010, 12:36pm
Cool, helps if one is clear about what thye have!! Thanks all, shall be ordering some today.