PDA

View Full Version : Travel Laptop /w Mac osX

Mircula
28-10-2010, 7:55am
Hi,

I am going to travel very soon and looking for a small portable laptop to carry with me.

I would not like to spend more than $500 as i only need it for the travel a bit of photo editing and putting online etc on the way.

I get a bit confused with all these different models out there.

I looked at:

• asus eee pc
• samsung nc10
• Acer Aspire One
• 10" MSI wind Netbook

One of the main points i would like to ask you guys is, if any of you ever bought one of these and installed MAC OSX on it. I do not like windows at all anymore and would really like a mac os, but i know that there can be some compatibility problems with drivers/hardware etc....

Any experience with that...?

Apart from that, with what have you travelled and what are the pros and cons of your travel machine :)?

Are the screens all the same or is there one with a significant better screen for photo editing?

Cheers,

Mirc

campo
28-10-2010, 8:50am
MAC OSX is generally for Mac hardware only, however a quick google search shows it is possible to install Mac OSx onto PC hardware but it needs to be compatible. The other thing google showed is that you could use a virtualised environment (eg. VMWare / VirtualBox etc) to run a MAC OSX image on windows.

Mircula
30-10-2010, 10:01am
Hi,

thanks for the answer.

It is possible, yes, but most of the solutions are really complicated and half of the laptop features do not work anymore.
Thats why I asked if somebody actually did it and has some experience with it.

i did buy a Acer aspire one from ebay for $230. I think that was quite cheap....not sure if i should try to install mac on it and risk that nothing is working anymore...

Another question.....Is Windows 7 much better than Windows XP. Does it need much more memory? I dont now much about windows, only heard that vista is reall really bad....

Just thinking about if it would be worth puting windows 7 on the acer one, 1GB, 1.6Ghz laptop.....

Cheers,

Mirc

jbee
30-10-2010, 10:31am
I bought an Asus eepc 1005 to tour the UK in July, it was running a lite version Windows 7 and came able to dual boot to a Linux OS (never used that option)
It was really good, I used Ifanview for quick editing for my blog and dhmped the camera card off go it each night also backed up to 500gb USB drive.
Definatley money well spent