PDA

View Full Version : live monitor view

Kyle72
26-10-2010, 9:28pm
Hi all

Not sure what the correct terminology is called for this,

But how do i hook up a computer or laptop to my camera while i am taking photos so i can see the result on the larger screen. Is there special software required for this, if so what? Is there special equipment for this, if so what?

Thanks in advance
Kyle

macmich
26-10-2010, 9:34pm
if your talking about your 50d it has got full instructions in manual
if you have no manual you can download one
cheers macca

maccaroneski
27-10-2010, 11:32am
Kyle it's referred to as "tethering" or "shooting tethered". Not sure about the Canon specific stuff, but you can do most popular DSLR's with Lightroom.

ZedEx
28-10-2010, 9:10am
Even the canon budled software will allow you to do it. Plug the usb cable in, turn the camera on and in the little download pics box that should pop up, there will be a section for tethered shooting. Just start mashing buttons on your computer screen, you will find it. I've gotta say, it really is a superb way of manually focusing using a giant computer monitor :D

Wobbles
28-10-2010, 12:56pm
Even the canon budled software will allow you to do it. Plug the usb cable in, turn the camera on and in the little download pics box that should pop up, there will be a section for tethered shooting. Just start mashing buttons on your computer screen, you will find it. I've gotta say, it really is a superb way of manually focusing using a giant computer monitor :D

Yes, it's called Canon EOS Utility (on the disc supplied with your 50D, or download from www.Canon) connect your camera to the PC with supplied USB cable ("Tethered") then open the program (may open automatically when you turn camera on), select the Control Camera tab, then select Camera Settings/Remote Shooting button. A small panel pops up with most of the main controls you have on the camera which allows you to take pictures and change settings with the click of a mouse ("Remote Shooting"). I think it defaults to showing liveview image (at work, can't confirm) but there's certainly settings that let you do it.

Cheers
John

Kyle72
29-10-2010, 10:12pm
Hi thanks for the tips, I used the canons eos utility, how simple was that, IT even better knowing that you can control the camera from the computer software.

Thanks again
Kyle