PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning fungus from a "gifted" lens ::::

DavidG
22-10-2010, 3:08pm
I ve been given a Koboron 120-600mm lens. Its got a good dose of fungus.

My initial feeling is that it will make a great paper weight (2.3kg) :) but am curious if they can be cleaned if so by whom and of course, how much??

If they are any recommendations for cleaning services, Im in Sydney but anywhere in Australia would be good.

Many Thanks,

Rattus79
22-10-2010, 3:17pm
Dunno about sydney, but Andersons in brisbane will do it. They charge by quotation, and will need to have the lens in their hands. Most places will.

ZedEx
23-10-2010, 8:49am
most lenses will have various coatings applied to the lens elements, and fungus grows roots through these coatings. Therefore, as far as I know, there is no use in cleaning the mold off, as the damage has already been done

ricktas
23-10-2010, 9:17am
Agree with Zedex here. It is possible to get the lens cleaned, but often the problem returns. You can get it cleaned and see. In the meantime keep it well away from all your other camera gear. Fungal spores are tiny, and can be easily transferred. Something as simple as placing the lens on a table, zooming it, to create air movement, then putting lens away, and getting out your other gear and placing it on the table can cause spore transference. The risk is not certain, but why test it. The last thing you need is other lenses in your collection ending up with fungus as well