PDA

View Full Version : Memory cards

surfer
16-10-2010, 7:19am
Up until now i actually never realised how important a memory card is especially if you would like to video footage with your camera

ricktas
16-10-2010, 7:29am
Umm. What are you asking/wanting as replies here? It is fairly obvious memory cards are important cause without one you are not going to be able to store your photos/video when you press the shutter button.:D

Kym
16-10-2010, 9:14am
Fast quality cards are important for best performance!

RaoulIsidro
16-10-2010, 9:47am
If you plan to use a lot of video on your DSLR, it would be good to get the fastest card available.
When set on the highest resolution video recording mode, most DSLRs can only record up to a few minutes of clips, then it will cut out because the buffer has been reached. The camera instruction manual will specify how many minutes the maximun clip would be.
Faster capacity cards (as different from higher capacity cards) are able to maintain capture rate. Slower capacity cards will cut out the video long before the maximum clip length is reached.
I would recommend at least 30 MBS for video use, and 60 MBS would be good. Newer cards now show this transfer rate on their labels.

amuller
18-10-2010, 8:38pm
sandiask would be the way to go for brands :P sandisk ultra :P

kiwi
18-10-2010, 8:57pm
I like black ones

carrg1954
18-10-2010, 9:22pm
I'd add a word of caution with the sandisk cards, that there was a name change to thier range in late 2009 early 2010, The Extreme III became the Ultra, Ok on CF cards but the SDHC cards appeared to go down slightly in mb/sec rates offered.
Also regardless of brand there is no point in buying any card rated higher than the maximum internal file transfer rate. Yes, I know it may down load from the camera to the pc faster but its about the best bang for buck. More cards at the maximum camera rate wins for me.
I use current range Ultras, previous range Extreme iii Cf cards and SDHC and Transcend Class 6 SDHC
regards

ZedEx
18-10-2010, 9:43pm
Are you sure? Pretty damn 100% sure they went from Extreme III to simply 'Extreme', the same as with the CF cards. I order them into work all the time, the Ultra cards are a separate line

I'd add a word of caution with the sandisk cards, that there was a name change to thier range in late 2009 early 2010, The Extreme III became the Ultra, Ok on CF cards but the SDHC cards appeared to go down slightly in mb/sec rates offered.
Also regardless of brand there is no point in buying any card rated higher than the maximum internal file transfer rate. Yes, I know it may down load from the camera to the pc faster but its about the best bang for buck. More cards at the maximum camera rate wins for me.
I use current range Ultras, previous range Extreme iii Cf cards and SDHC and Transcend Class 6 SDHC
regards

kiwi
19-10-2010, 9:30pm
Yeah, I think he's right the new ultras are the old extremes

ZedEx
20-10-2010, 9:03am
I'll have to check out my ultras at work, however I can still order in the Extreme SDHC cards which are 60mb/s and I can still order in the Ultras as a separate, cheaper item.

Yeah, I think he's right the new ultras are the old extremes

Bilgola
28-10-2010, 4:45pm
I just started a new thread on CF Cards...should have looked more closely, my apologies. Most of what i have read here answers a lot of my question. But I haven't heard the brand name Wintec Filemate mentioned, these guys do a 32g 600X card for $109 on Ebay. I think I know the answer to my question before I ask it. Does anyone know of this brand and is it a case of buyer beware? That is an incredibly low price.

Mike

kiwi
28-10-2010, 4:55pm
Stick to Sandisk, why take the risk