PDA

View Full Version : Tripods - what use does yours get

kiwi
15-10-2010, 12:53am
My poor tripod is sooooo lonely, stuck in the boot for months on end. I'm thinking this is sad, its not good, it's not fair on mr manfrotto

Should I feel guilty ?

peterking
15-10-2010, 1:58am
Yes you should.
It needs company.
Get a monopod for it!.
Since meeting Xebadir mine gets a lot of use.

MarkChap
15-10-2010, 2:11am
Not nearly enough, just rolls round behind the front seat of the car, getting scratched and dirty, poor old thing

ricktas
15-10-2010, 7:15am
Mine gets used quite a bit, though I'm a landscaper, not sure why you even own one kiwi! Sport photography isn't really tripod territory.

OzzieTraveller
15-10-2010, 8:13am
G'day kiwi

doing heaps of panos, my tripod does get lots of use
also, doing lots of after dark stuff, the tripod gets lots of use there too
and doing a bit of portraiture, the tripod gets used as well

poor ol' tripod needs a rest 'n a holiday

as an aside --- I find that as I am wandering around with tripod over shoulder, people look at me and often ask 'you a perfessional fotografer mate?'

I answer " 'no' just a bloke enjoying myself "(I don't want to get into a long conversation when the sunset is happening)
Six months or so ago, in Qld, I had a fella with a D90 come up to me and started asking me Qs about his new, straight out of Hardley Normal twin-lens kit, then invited me back to his caravan "coz I got-tha instruction book there - ya can look it up for me"

I smiled, said various things to myself about fools, nodded politely and walked off
Wasn't going to buy into that one
Regards, Phil

Cage
15-10-2010, 8:26am
I use mine 90% of the time which is why I've just lashed out and bought a new carbon fibre model.

It probably won't make me a better photographer, but the lighter weight will allow me to spend more time getting frustrated with my efforts. :confused013:confused013

Cheers

Kevin

kiwi
15-10-2010, 8:32am
Do you use yours in general say portrait work in good light? For wedding formals etc ?

Oh yeH, my mono is much more used by me with the big glass

arthurking83
15-10-2010, 11:04am
mr 'frotto is sitting for months on end in the boot of the car because you most likely bought an aluminium version.

had you purchased a much sexier Ms Gitzo Gabor in her bare carbon state of undress... you'd hardly be able to keep your hands off her! ;)

Bercy
15-10-2010, 11:20am
My Manfrotto (aluminium) gets a bit of a work out, usually when the photos matter, like they are going get done on A3 and stuck on a wall. None of my lenses have IS (so far - not going near the woife on that one) - and in the end, a stable tripod and cable release with shutter lock is probably as good as it gets anyway. Especially if your game is predawn or sundown stuff, with a big DOF. The sad reality is, as I look at the photos that i have, that most of them are ever so slightly blurred.

On this site here is a great beginners guide on holding a camera, too.

The other thing about tripods, is that you can leave the camera and engage in light banter with your subject, to bring out that all too ephemeral natural smile and sparkle. Of course if the model is 3 years old, they will sit still, let you get the readings, set up the off cameral flash, and just when you are ready, they will walk off. After that you will use the Manfrotto as a trellis for your snow peas.

RaoulIsidro
15-10-2010, 11:30am
I use the tripod all the time for Architectural and Interior shots, HDR, Product Photography and Stop Motion Animation.
It gives the car a special jingle jangle rattle when stored at the boot. I would know when I forget to take it as the car would be so quiet.:D

NikonUser
15-10-2010, 12:02pm
I'd say that my tripod gets used for 95% of my shots.

The only time I'm not using it is in social and other situations where a tripod gets in the way.

Paul

Rod038
15-10-2010, 6:00pm
I use mine as often as I can. Mainly for landscapes and night shots where I take my time and set up.

bobt
16-10-2010, 1:04pm
Mine gets used quite a bit, though I'm a landscaper, not sure why you even own one kiwi! Sport photography isn't really tripod territory.

I dunno so much .... I have been shooting for a sports comp for the last few months, and at every match (Gridiron) there is the same group of photographers blazing away - all of them with 200mm lenses and monpods (which are sort of honorary tripods). :)

My poor tripod(s) only get used for tabletop photography where they are a must. I really should use them more.

Lance B
16-10-2010, 1:09pm
Mine gets used mostly when I do macro's and rarely at other times. Having a D700, which means low light superiority, read - can make for lazy photography! - and VR lenses means that I can get away with quite alot without the need for a tripod. The monopod gets used occassionally with the long lenses.

Kym
16-10-2010, 1:11pm
About frac12 of my shots, comes on most outings

unistudent1962
16-10-2010, 1:36pm
Whenever I've got time to set up and get the sharpest images possible from my gear.
Tripod and remote cable release, occasionally with mirror lock up for landscapes.

kiwi
16-10-2010, 2:28pm
I dunno so much .... I have been shooting for a sports comp for the last few months, and at every match (Gridiron) there is the same group of photographers blazing away - all of them with 200mm lenses and monpods (which are sort of honorary tripods). :)

My poor tripod(s) only get used for tabletop photography where they are a must. I really should use them more.

Yes, I use my monopod all the time if I have my 400, or if I'm going to be using the 70-200 for longer than a couple of hours I will too

But...the reason I ask is ghat I watched a friend shooting portraits in full sun and he used a tripod.....now....he's a pro and much better than I, so, thought I'd ask the mob

Mary Anne
16-10-2010, 2:46pm
I have to use mine all the time as I do a lot of macro so I find my monopod is taking it easy now
Plus I am getting older and cannot hold the canon L glass they are too heavy for me :D

peterb666
16-10-2010, 3:25pm
My poor tripod is sooooo lonely, stuck in the boot for months on end. I'm thinking this is sad, its not good, it's not fair on mr manfrotto

Should I feel guilty ?

Maybe you should take it out for a night-time date. You know, sweet talk it, take it to a loney beach, get it errected and take some long exposures. It will save the both of you and you will be very satisfied at the outcome. Your little tripod is just waiting to please you.

ricktas
16-10-2010, 8:05pm
I'd say that my tripod gets used for 95% of my shots.

The only time I'm not using it is in social and other situations where a tripod gets in the way.

Paul

You should start whipping your tripod out in social situations, it might become the topic of conversation..an ice breaker of sorts:D

unistudent1962
16-10-2010, 8:31pm
And you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it up!!!!

Rosh
16-10-2010, 9:37pm
Just bought a Mr Manfrotto today, hope he doesnt get too lonely cost me enough lol:)

TOM
17-10-2010, 2:37pm

Should I feel guilty ?

The whole point to small format cameras is to be lightweight, discrete, and agile. Exactly why you want to avoid a tripod a lot of the time.

achee
22-10-2010, 6:24pm
Yes, I use my monopod all the time if I have my 400, or if I'm going to be using the 70-200 for longer than a couple of hours I will too

But...the reason I ask is ghat I watched a friend shooting portraits in full sun and he used a tripod.....now....he's a pro and much better than I, so, thought I'd ask the mob

Hmmm... I think that's odd! I'd be interested in his explanation for that. I'd only use a tripod in bright light if I needed long exposures for some particular reason.

William
22-10-2010, 6:33pm
4.30 am in the morning i need a tripod , Other than that , No never :) Mind you the Tripod gets used 2 or 3 times a week in the mornings :D