PDA

View Full Version : Warning Gumtree Ad for D700.

Xebadir
13-10-2010, 2:17pm
Words of warning here folks, I get a suspicious Vibe from a gumtree ad I noticed.
I enquired to see what was going on

Qual Electronics <sales@qualimited.com>

Hi,

Thanks for your response to our ads, we sell brand new products with 12months international warranty .Brand New NIKON D700 DSLR CAMERA + 24-120mm VR LENS = $1550 with free shipping ,delivery to your door step within 48hours.

Kindly get back to us with your full shipping detail so that we can start packing your order for fast delivery

We do offer the following methods of payment:-
(1) Bank Wire Transfer T/T
(2) Western Union

Looking forward to develop a good business relationship with you.

Regards,
Wendy B.

Call our Sales team on +61434586058,+60162987534 for further assistance

website-------www.qualimited.com

Anyone else noticed this...it triggered alot of warning bells in my mind. Particularly once I saw the price and the payment methods.

I have the feeling its bogus, figured I would check the phone number as well to ensure my suspicions were justified...got a womens answering machine and no response from the phone number.

Jules
13-10-2010, 2:29pm
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

Bercy
13-10-2010, 5:21pm
Quite a number of international suppliers have "offices" here in Ausrtalia. However the prime address is elsewhere, in this instance, Malaysia. The web adds show some really old stuff, like 30D Canons, so you wonder where that camera has been over the last few years. However there is the usually comtemporary stuff. When you go to you pro-camera shop, you know they are authorised dealers, and will (hopefully) have proper relationships with the company's distributors. These "too good to be true" purveyors are less likely to be authorised distributors and where the stuff came from, even if it is still factory sealed, and how old it is, or if it is a refurbished item, well ...caveat emptor.

I @ M
13-10-2010, 5:34pm
Berni, if you even apply a .01% chance of paying for and actually receiving that camera through that "business" I feel that you need some rapid education in the ways of the world.

The ad is a fraud, the business listed is wholly and solely contained within a pc and is almost guaranteed to have never stocked any goods.

Gumtree is the last place on earth that people should be looking for any item for sale that they can't pick up in person and pay cash for at the time of pickup.

Have a bit of a google and see who owns gumtree anyway. :D

Speedway
13-10-2010, 6:38pm
The only time I look at gumtree is when I need a good laugh.
Keith.

unistudent1962
13-10-2010, 7:57pm
Check out their website, an $11K Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Digital SLR Camera for USD $3882.55.
Why on earth would you doubt their credibility? (Sarcasm!!!)

Xebadir
14-10-2010, 8:32am
Yup...not a place I normally buy off unless I can see the object, but you never know what you might find. Bogus Ad has been relisted here:

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-video-camera-digital-camera-digital-cameras-A-NIKON-D700-DSLR-CAMERA-24-120mm-VR-LENS-W0QQAdIdZ235833872

I @ M
15-10-2010, 11:31am
Hari, read my reply, #4, above.

It is a scam pure and simple, your example of an "international warranty" only reaffirms the point as no such thing exists with Nikon camera bodies.

Kym
15-10-2010, 12:36pm
Yes, true that Nikon offers country based warranties on Bodies but international warranties on Lenses. I called up Nikon a few months back to confirm this.

Fine print: The international warranties on Lenses is ONLY if you bought the lens via a genuine Nikon retailer in country (eg. I'm in NY and buy over vthe counter from B&H) then travel back to Oz.
It does NOT apply to grey imports (ok, it may be hard to prove, but that's what Nikon say)

dbax
15-10-2010, 12:42pm
Methods of payment says it all for me, I wouldn't touch !!

ricktas
15-10-2010, 2:18pm
I have removed some posts in this thread, so it may appear like members are replying to a post/person who hasn't posted to the thread.

jamalnic
15-10-2010, 2:59pm
I certainly wouldn't touch that one but Gumtree isn't all bad. My daughter and son in law listed their caravan for sale and sold within a couple of days to a very genuine local buyer so their experience was positive.

sealhead
21-10-2010, 10:29pm
To add to the treachery of these people "Wendy" the secretary / scammer just rang me (@10:00 pm in response to my phone call) to explain that the D700 and lens was sitting there ready for immediate shipment upon funds being transfered. Pay pal was not available for first time customer/suckers.

Why can't these people be found and flogged? and then flogged again!:action:

JM Tran
21-10-2010, 11:08pm
I buy a lot of things on Gumtree, but this one is a fake ad as the words WESTERN UNION usually are associated with scams as forms of payments:)

achee
22-10-2010, 5:10pm
I also use gumtree to buy and sell a fair bit. It's a good place to look for 2nd hand camera gear - I think more 2nd hand camera gear goes through gumtree than any other website in Aus (including ebay). It does have a lot of scammers, though, so be careful and don't send any money!