PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 70-200mm OS anyone got one?

Ben
13-10-2010, 2:48pm
Has anyone got one/used one yet? I'm very tempted...

I can get a good deal on a new one, but I can't find too many photos/experiences from the new one (not the older version, as it is optically different as well as the addition of OS/IS/VR - whatever you wna t to call it!).

I think I would prefer to buy new over a secondhand Nikon 70-200 VRI (which doesn't cost too much more), due to all the electrics, especially VR,, after a few years use by someone else before I get it.

Reviews on dpreview paint the Sigma as a big step forward (for them) and pretty close to Canikon equivalents.

What do you think... Stick with a second hand Nikon, I'm paranoid for no reason, the Nikon is well known to be an excellent lens? OR try the sigma? :confused013

Norman
13-10-2010, 4:24pm
BEN

Just to confuse the issue

DigitalRev has the new Nikon 70-200 afs vr11 for around $2400 post paid

it will take the new 2x converter giving real flexibility

Just my two bobs worth

Cheers

Ben
13-10-2010, 4:33pm
BEN

Just to confuse the issue

DigitalRev has the new Nikon 70-200 afs vr11 for around $2400 post paid

I have seen that and it's very tempting for a top lens. But I really can't justify spending that much on this focal range. I might have to be the guinea pig for some real world use of the sigma, from the specs and MTF charts it's pretty impressive.

Thanks though.

Norman
13-10-2010, 4:38pm
Ben
Can i ask how much the Sigma is ??

Cheers

dulvariprestige
14-10-2010, 12:00am
Pretty sure the sigma's around $1700, personally, I'd try and save for the Nikon, I was thinking of replacing my sigma 70-200 with the new OS version, but canon's 70-200MKII has also come down to around $2500, so I'm just going to hang on to mine for a little while longer and get the canon.

Ben
16-10-2010, 5:29pm
Norman, I can get the sigma for staff prices (brother works at camera house), which makes it about $2-300 cheaper than a mint second hand VR-I... My thinking at the moment, after reading yet more reviews, etc. is to go with a near new mint VR-I. I just can't justify another 2.5k lens over the $1700 price of VR-I's at the moment, this way I save $800 to spend on something else, without losing any real performance.

At least that's my thinking this week, we'll see how it goes next week. :D

Norman
16-10-2010, 7:48pm
Well that makes sense Ben

I sold my VR1 a while ago to a friend going o/s as i was intending to replace it with a VR2 and have not yat done so due to a thousand reasons , but i will get around to it soon

Let us know how you get on , and post some images

Good luck mate

Cheers