PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 50mm macro vs Tamron AF90mm Macro

enigma82
04-10-2010, 3:56pm
Hi. I recently got my first SLR, a Canon 350D. I really want to get into macro photography.

So I've been searching an online camera store for macro lenses in my price range. I've found the Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX and I also saw someone suggest in another thread the Tamron SP AF90mm F2.8

The price of the Sigma is more attractive of course :P But I'm sure there is an advantage to the Tamron. Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cupic
04-10-2010, 4:52pm
I have the Tamron on the K20d and first off one advantage is reach.I have had good results using it, you wont be disappointed, as for the siggy I havent had any comment as I havent use it

cheers

abitfishy
04-10-2010, 4:55pm
The 90mm is on my (long) list of wants. Mainly due to the longer focal length, allows you better working room from your subject, particularly if you get into using it for anything alive that might be scared off if you get too close.

enigma82
04-10-2010, 5:56pm
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the Tamron might be the better option because I could see myself wanting to photograph insects and the like. So thanks for the info, I'll continue saving lol.