PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Tripod leg lock, Screw type or Flip type?

ace23s
22-09-2010, 3:35pm
What' your favorite type of Tripod leg lock?
1.Screw type
2.Flip type

Bax
22-09-2010, 4:20pm
Flip for me, all the screw types that I have used in the past have always let go or gradually slip - probably because people don't use them correctly.

Regardless, Flip type.

ace23s
22-09-2010, 4:25pm
Flip for me

James Axford
22-09-2010, 5:01pm
Screw for me.
The newer gitzo screw ones lock down tighter at you put more pressure down on the tripod.
So never any slip
Also find them faster to extend.

RaoulIsidro
22-09-2010, 5:49pm
Flip locks.
I have screw types but when beach sand gets into the gear, the sound of crunching quartz on the screws gives me goosebumps.

etherial
23-09-2010, 8:47am
Screw for me, and I'm a convert from Flip. I have a flipy lock tripod and when researching for my new one I asked the same question. All my research found there were more issues on forums with Flip legs than screw. After much reading I chose the screw type and couldn't be happier. I find them faster to set up, you don't have to re tighten when you fold it down, just a quick quarter turn and push them in and there is enough tension to hold them up (mean also for set up, just a quick pull and then tighten and your done.)

They are also cleaner and don't get caught on anything, ie bushes, your bag, your shoulder when you stick it up there etc.

I'd be interested to know how many people of all the Flip voters have actually used a screw type leg for any length of time; not just in a shop, but taken the gear for a walk and used it for an hour. You might change your mind, I did! ;)

peterb666
24-09-2010, 8:29pm
I have 3 tripods each using different releases.

1. Flip
2. Wing nut
3. Screw

That's the order of preference I have for these as well.

Allan Ryan
25-09-2010, 10:01am
I have a wingnut type Manfrotto 25 aniversary all alloy tripod
one of the wingnuts doesn't work well but i like the tripod

and a Gitzo monpod twist type

LJG
29-09-2010, 12:22pm
I have a screw type tripod and a flip type monopod, I like the flip on the mono better than the cumbersome screw style on the tripod.

etherial
29-09-2010, 10:10pm
I'm quite surprised by this poll result. From all my reading when I was researching, I expected the screw types to getting maybe 30% of the vote. Hey where is Arthur's vote!?

You lot don't know what you're missing!

James Axford
29-09-2010, 11:37pm
Not everyone can know a good thing Mic ;)

N*A*M
30-09-2010, 12:21am
screw ftw

if flip locks were better, why are ball heads and clamps screw operated?

wolffman
01-10-2010, 9:06am
I've never tried the screw type, but it's difficult to talk the camera shops into letting you take an expensive gitzo screw tripod out down the beach for the day. I might get a new cf tripod in six months so if any screw zealots are in Adelaide and are willing to lend their tripod for a play then I might be able to change my opinion

Steve Axford
01-10-2010, 9:16am
I voted screw too. I think many are just voting on what they have because it makes no sense that flip lock seems to win.