PDA

View Full Version : Off camera flash

bb45pz
22-09-2010, 1:02pm
Can anyone give a bit of advice regarding what to look for with flash units.

I'm looking at playing around with portraiture and want to get a wireless off camera flash solution and softbox just to start.

I haven't done much research with this as quite frankly I don't know what specs to look for in a flash unit. Budget is about $500 and I'm happy enough to buy from o/s.

Any help would be appreciated

scpleta
22-09-2010, 1:41pm
the new nikon sb 700 has just been released. am not sure when it will arrive in australia though. since it is part of the nikon creative lighting system (CLS), it will surely be very much compatible with your d700.

davidd
22-09-2010, 2:04pm
The Nikon SB600 will work fine as a slave (remote) unit, it just doesn't work as a master unit. The new SB700 would be very nice, and will function as a master unit (only important if you want 3 groups of flashes). Your D700 will control 2 remote groups.

See this blog for a HEAP of info on Nikon's CLS.

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/

RaoulIsidro
22-09-2010, 2:50pm
The nice thing about Nikons is the CLS.
Some of it's cameras as far back as a the D70 can function a Master to units such as the SB600. It is built into the D70 body system!
For around $150 you can buy a set of reflective brollie softlighting complete with stand and flash brackets from major photo suppliers.
Here is an example:
http://www.###########.com.au/Strobist-Strobist-Kits/c10_12/index.html?osCsid=2c364d8d98d704ca99fcb653182970b7

ollie
22-09-2010, 3:04pm
I currently use a D80 and SB600 with the CLS. Works fantastic except in bright sunlight. I bought a umbrella and stand kit off ebay to about $80 and have been really happy with the results. However the one thing the SB600 and 700 is the lack of a pc sync socket. If you decide to get some radio triggers or pocket wizards you will need this as it is more reliable then the CLS system, so maybe the SB800 or 900 might be a better option. I'm sure you can pickup a new 900 from digitalrev for about 500 ish.

kiwi
22-09-2010, 5:20pm
id get a 2nd hand sb-800 and a long ttl sync cord off ebay, and yongnua flash triggers alsi

wolffman
22-09-2010, 11:16pm
Check out strobist
http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
The tutorials and on assignment sections are superb and will illuminate the subject for you...
I got a 900 and its been good, but its big. A cheaper way to dip your toe in might be to get a yongnua iTTL flash. Using the camera as the master is very convenient, but a ttl sync cord is quicker as you can dial the flash compensation at the camera using a button and dial if you are close enough instead of diving into the menu system each time.
Brolly and lightstand and some gels and you are away. Plus reflectors, gobos, diffusers, snoots, grids and lots and lots of batteries

bb45pz
23-09-2010, 6:36am
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I ended up with the sb 900 after figuring out that the Nikon already did the wireless bit for me and it pretty much fit the budget.