PDA

View Full Version : camera reliability

Mile
05-09-2010, 10:07am
ok, from what ive seen on ebay, tafe (where they have moe than half of the canon 400d's are not working) and here, the canon's dont seem that reliable. its mainly the 400d's that ive seen it with but that could be across any canon i guess.

because im after a 400 or 450d, i would like to know abit more on what people find on the reliability. i dont want to pay hundreds for something that i will have to throw away because it will cost more whan its worth to fix.

Kym
05-09-2010, 10:16am
Robust? Buy :plogo: Ok, I'm biased, but I do have Pentax gear from the 70's still going strong.

I'm guessing school cams get abused.

ricktas
05-09-2010, 10:24am
Canon's are very reliable, but I would not judge by what a school/tafe has, as the students probably take zero care of the gear, and that is more than likely the cause of the breakdowns.

debs
05-09-2010, 10:25am
I've had my 400d for about 3 years, never had a problem with it, still takes great pics and works the same as when I first bought it. I guess it depends how you take care of things.

Scotty72
05-09-2010, 10:45am
I've had my 400d for about 3 years, never had a problem with it, still takes great pics and works the same as when I first bought it. I guess it depends how you take care of things.

As a teacher, I can attest to the fact that anything used in schools by kids is like to have about 1/4 the life expectancy.

That is why many schools don't let kids touch any equip. But, I guess u can't run a photography course this way.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaoulIsidro
05-09-2010, 1:17pm
When you refer to "camera reliability" it is for a certain model.
It is immensely different from "brand reliability" of DSLR's which is across the entire range.
Both true data of these "camera reliability" and "brand reliability" are well kept secrets of the brand name owners and are based on their worldwide service and warranty records.
It is fair to say that the more units produced will increase breakdown statistics.
The two leading brands, since it dominates the majority of the market share, will cop a fair bit of these reliability factors.
Putting a statistic on cameras used in TAFE or schools should only concentrate on that particular situtation and should not be used as a basis on being representative of the whole statistical universe.
The camera models mentioned have good reliability but the chance of defects and breakdowns will always be there. This is where the standard warranty kicks in for the consumer's protection.

R1titan
05-09-2010, 1:25pm
You'ld be surprised how much abuse DSLRs can take;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWzsXeXCwuc

Nothing too tech, but its great for a laugh :)

Kym
05-09-2010, 1:35pm
As a teacher, I can attest to the fact that anything used in schools by kids is like to have about 1/4 the life expectancy.
That is why many schools don't let kids touch any equip. But, I guess u can't run a photography course this way.

So bring your own gear is the answer; but that would exclude some students for budgetary reasons.

Mind you I'm not sure I'd let my kid take a DSLR to school - too much risk

It's difficult; that said we had a darkroom at HS back in the 70's which we kept in good nick coz it was very much a privilege

Wayne
05-09-2010, 2:45pm
Some Canon model has a shutter or mirror issue that pops up not infrequently, but I think the 5D??

I would say that there are many many photographers using all of the major brands who will attest to the reliability of their gear, particularly when it is used and handled with care.

Xenedis
05-09-2010, 3:14pm
Canon's are very reliable, but I would not judge by what a school/tafe has, as the students probably take zero care of the gear, and that is more than likely the cause of the breakdowns.

Precisely what I was thinking.

Having owned four Canon SLRs (three of them digital), they are no more or less reliable than any SLR; how one treats the cameras is what makes the biggest difference.

Of course, the top-of-the-line offerings in the EOS-1D models are specifically designed to take rougher and tougher treatment due to the heavy usage of pro shooters, but it is still possible to mistreat one.

Having said that, I prefer a camera with stronger magnesium alloy construction than the plastic variations.

Mile
05-09-2010, 8:33pm
cool, they seem pretty strong watching that youtube test.

They have a solid build, im not worried about that, this is more of what i was thinking: the internal electronics.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-eos-450D-/270629117165?pt=AU_Digital_Cameras&hash=item3f02c09ced

old dog
05-09-2010, 8:47pm
I fully agree with Scotty....me being an ex schoolie.

Mile
06-09-2010, 10:20am
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-eos-450D-/270629117165?pt=AU_Digital_Cameras&hash=item3f02c09ced

so this internal electrical problem is not very common i take it?
is this an easy fix if someone has come across it before?

MarkChap
06-09-2010, 10:59am
Some Canon model has a shutter or mirror issue that pops up not infrequently, but I think the 5D??

I would say that there are many many photographers using all of the major brands who will attest to the reliability of their gear, particularly when it is used and handled with care.

Yes the 5D has a know issue with the Mirror, Canon recognise this and will repair the unit at NO COST regardless of warranty status.
You can wait until you have the failure,(the mirror falls off) or it can be sent to Canon for rectification at any time.

Speedway
06-09-2010, 11:47am
I have a 400D with over 35000 actuations and it is still working fine and is my back up to the 7D.

Scree
06-09-2010, 12:29pm
I've found the 400D is quite good at taking rough treatment. Mine's still going strong, and that's even with being wrapped in a scarf, thrown in a handbag and taken through peak hour public transport when I was doing volunteer work in the city.

I think it's really sad that the students at your TAFE have taken such poor care of the cameras. It's a shame, they've now made life that much harder for the next people to need to use those cameras. Then again, I'm not entirely surprised. My friend's a teacher, and busted students rolling the school cameras down a hill so they could 'see what it looked like' :Doh:

ving
06-09-2010, 12:41pm
reliability? my d40 nikon i bought when i first joined this forum... it works as well as the day i bought it. :D

i hope my d90 is just as good.

Mile
06-09-2010, 7:17pm
cool, im satisfied enough to have faith in them.

yes its a shame some students are idiots. fancy rolling them down a hill to see what it looks like. guess thats what the "cool" people are doing. its ok becuase we need people to wash our cars in the years to come.