PDA

View Full Version : has anyone had experience purchasing a camer in the US

meegeemoments
31-08-2010, 11:18pm
hi everyone
i'll be in NYC next week and a friend has just told me i should wait to buy my camera over there from b&h photo in manhattan as it's much cheaper to purchase a camera over there. i questioned about warranties not being honoured over here if i do this and he said some placeds offer "worldwide" warranty. is it any cheaper? etc etc etc i'm looking at SONY NEX 5, lumix G2 and canon EOS 550 or 60D if it comes out whilst i'm there.

has anyone had any experience with doing this sort of thing?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
thanks in advance
megan

swifty
01-09-2010, 1:09am
I queried Nikon Aust recently and to summaries: lenses and speedlites have worldwide warranty alining as u bought it from the official importers of that country. Digital cameras and DSLRs only have warranties in their country of issue but can be repaired for a fee in Australia. The policy is not always consistent from country to country.
I have no specifics on policies from other manufacturers.
With the current Aussie dollar, most things are cheaper there but not sure how much local taxes are in NY.

ricktas
01-09-2010, 8:45am
Yep, your camera body warranty will only be valid in the USA,. If you need to get it repaired here in Aus, you will need to pay Nikon to do so, even if it is only 2 weeks old at the time of needing a repair

Wayne
01-09-2010, 10:03am
Whilst you may need to pay for warranty in Oz, simply send it back to the USA in the unlikely event you need warranty, and pay for it to be shipped back to Oz. Could set you back $50-100 all up, which is probably less than any service you have to pay for here.

ameerat42
01-09-2010, 10:24am
Oh for the freedom of choice in how to pay up big! "People of Australia" would be better off with lamb chops..., not export quality of course.

(Thanks all for this interesting post.)
Am.