PDA

View Full Version : Unbiased Opinion- which brand

Snappytom
30-08-2010, 11:14pm
Hi AP,
I have a challenge for experienced photographers. A difficult challenge for those who have accumulated a magnificent collection of excellent lenses for several bodies which have served them well.
The Challenge is this. Forget your current financial commitment to a Camera brand. Imagine you are able to start all over again, with todays technology but all of your photography knowledge. Pretend you have no brand loyalty, no brand network and no established relationship with your brand distributor.
Have a look at what is being released at the moment, whats on the market. The new technology and the current trends.
Now, which brand would YOU start with. Be honest.
Not easy, but I would love to know if people would choose elements from other brands if they had not already invested so much into one.
Cheers
Snappytom (new and fishing for direction)

MarkChap
30-08-2010, 11:18pm
An unbiased opinion on which brand is best :lol:

now that is a novel Idea

peterking
30-08-2010, 11:20pm
To be honest, I don't believe anyone could choose ONE brand.
The reason is simple. Some bodies have great ideas poorly implemented whilst others have brilliant basics but lack finishing. Also there is the requirement of each genre. This in itself will bring about many and fierce discussions.
Personally I love the camera I have at present but there are things it has that I don't need but it is lacking in a few areas that I really use.
I think that whilst your question is an interesting one, I don't believe there is a simple answer.

Snappytom
30-08-2010, 11:25pm
Seriously Markchap, Does bias come from financial investment or can experienced photographers change brands (if they can afford it) when they believe another brand becomes more suitable?
Besides, you cant laugh at me, I am new!!:p

arthurking83
30-08-2010, 11:26pm
From a Nikon geek.. Go Sony! :th3:

but only full frame!! ... otherwise my bias comes into play and I'll always vote.. Nikon of course

MarkChap
30-08-2010, 11:30pm
Ford or Holden ??

What is best today, and what one may choose today, will be different tomorrow, when the new batches come out from each manufacturer.

Seriously Snappytom, what to you want to shoot, and maybe we can give some guidance.
I couldn't possibly give any sort of recommendation with out getting each of the contenders in my hands to see how they feel. Which I haven't done so it would just be a wild guess from an uneducated opinion

Lance B
30-08-2010, 11:31pm
It's almost impossible to answer as it depends on your needs, desires and practicalities. Everyone is different.

Captured frame
30-08-2010, 11:34pm
Ex Nikon now using Canon and very happy with the change. But if money is no option send me a new Hasselblad, but i think I would be living under the stars cause the house would have to goto pay for it.

JM Tran
30-08-2010, 11:41pm
I use multiple brands for different types of shoots ie. Hasselblad if I need high MP and DR for commercial clients and enlargements, Canon for weddings, Nikon for beating around the bush or for high ISO journalist stuff, Olympus PEN for quick interviews and snapshots of subject where discretion is best etc. Used to use Pentax a lot for street work with pancake lenses too.

A smart photographer knows that they will always get the best results by knowing when and where to use the best equipment for the desired results or end product:)

Only amateurs or the ignorant will advocate for one brand over another hahaha

Tannin
31-08-2010, 12:00am
I voted Canon, but that's because I do wildlife and, for that particular specialty, Canon really is the best choice, with only one other serious possibility in Nikon. But if I had a different specialty - almost any other - I would probably have voted for Pentax. For typical everyday, non-professional use, I reckon Pentax are the best all-round value there is. And that's coming from a Canon owner.

Scotty72
31-08-2010, 12:07am
Where is the option for 'Pointless Question'?

Is is rather like asking a fish where on the moon it would prefer to live if it had the option.

Tannin
31-08-2010, 12:24am
^ Sea of Tranquillity, where else?

Snappytom
31-08-2010, 1:20am
Ford or Holden ??

What is best today, and what one may choose today, will be different tomorrow, when the new batches come out from each manufacturer.

Seriously Snappytom, what to you want to shoot, and maybe we can give some guidance.
I couldn't possibly give any sort of recommendation with out getting each of the contenders in my hands to see how they feel. Which I haven't done so it would just be a wild guess from an uneducated opinion
Thanks Markchap,
I would love some guidance on camera choice. (Bet noone has asked for that before!)
I currently use a fujifilm s5700. My 9 yearold son and I love the supermacro for insects but the zoom is not long enough for birds flying over head. I love it's potability but start up is often too slow to capture what the kids are doing. I have gotten quite good at action shots but I cant get anything in the gym or on the otherside of the soccer pitch. I use basic video often.
So I have finally decided to go DSLR.
One shop suggested Samsung NX10 with 3 lenses for $1000. That was tempting, and right on budget.
I liked the Pentax Kx but others said I would soon grow out of it if I already have a bridging camera.
I obviously needed to extend the budget (and maybe the mortgage).
I compared the Nikon D90 to Canon D550 to Pentax K7. On paper and without DSLR experience (or understanding of most specs) Pentax K7 won for me.
I like weatherproof and sturdy body. I like built in stability and a self cleaning sensor. I like a vast array of compatible lenses readily available second hand. And at 5.3 fps it was quickest. But is it too big for my hands?
But on the way to the camera shop.........
Sony released 4 that are quicker with twisty viewfinders for my beloved macro work. Canon released the D60 which fills all the gaps and now I am waitng to see the Nikon D95 so I might as well see what the Pentax K5 or Kr offers.
I have just mentioned many different brands.
Hence my original question about recommended brands, just to narrow the search to one brand would be a relief.
Needless to say I am thoroughly enjoying the thrill of the search.
Cheers
Snappytom

Scotty72
31-08-2010, 1:34am
Hi,

The fact is, you're NOT going to get an unbiased opinion.

People have invested thousands of dollars into their kit and will stick by it for all sorts of reasons.

Also, I am someone who changed brands early on (from Olympus to Canon) mainly due to the fact I found myself chooting more and more in bad light. I came to the conclusion that the Olympus 4/3 sensor was rubbish at that.

Now, you will get an argument that 4/3 technology is much improved. Is it? No idea really.

In reality, no brand is really going to be 'better'. They are all pretty good who leads the race will probably change from year to year.

Do your research for what you want to do...

The thing that perhaps should influence your choice might be your friends... esp if they are the type of friends who may be willing to lend you lenses from time to time as you build up your kit. I know borrowed a couple of lenses early on... and, assuming I know / trust a friend well enough, will (and have done) lend my stuff short term.

Good luck.

Scotty

ricktas
31-08-2010, 8:26am
I have multiple brands too. Canon film camera, Nikon DSLR, Fuji and Olympus point n shoots, panasonic video camera.

My thoughts..go and buy a damn camera and use it! It is the photos that matter not what brand it came from. Anyone who gets to caught up in the 'brand' needs to get out more and take more photos!

*I am not voting*

Kym
31-08-2010, 11:38am
DSLRs... Pentax is the best value at the entry point and also at the very high end (645D)
I've been Pentax for 35+ years; but if starting I would also consider Nikon.
Canon has never felt good in my hands (too plastic) and I've had a crappy run with their printer products.

+1000 to Rick's post - the reality is you can go that wrong with any of the 4 major brands (P,N,C,S).
Oly is out for me due to 4/3 sensor being too small.

HayTay
31-08-2010, 11:45am
Snappytom,

Personally, I'd get the least expensive dSLR you can get that has the features and functions you're looking for. If you've only used a point-n-shoot before, a dSLR is a whole new learning experience. :eek:

I borrowed my daughter's point-n-shoot Olympus off and on for a couple of months before she stole it back permanently. That's when I splurged on a dSLR and entered a whole new world of photo opportunity and the accompanying elation and disappointment that went along with it. ;) I'm still plugging away, though, and am getting better (I hope) with my dSLR.

My point is, no matter what camera you purchase now, after you use it for a few months, a year, or more you'll know what you're looking for. When you decide you're ready to purchase another camera you'll know better, or exactly, what you want. Maybe it'll be the same brand, or maybe not.

The 'light' is waiting... DIVE IN!

Xebadir
31-08-2010, 12:39pm
I put Canon (will probably get burnt at the stake but meh)...but thats only because what they have in terms of the 5D MkII would suit my needs atm beautifully and the lenses for my purposes don't run to such high prices...and a 50D would be a perfect body for the other stuff I do. (This is not to say the Nikon stuff I have doesnt do the job and well, its just a convience and application perspective based on what is available now...having commited to Nikon I love the stuff they have...though the lens upgrading can be a bit haphazard). But I also have a bias in that a couple of my friends who stormchase run Canon, and when one of us is driving you need another to take a shot...and so being able to use the device easily would be very helpful.

But this last bit as others say is the key point: It depends what you want to do and what you would like to shoot...plus what you feel comfortable with. Having played with a 7D I would not buy one purely on the basis of putting it in my hands.

Analog6
31-08-2010, 1:09pm
And how can you comment unless you have tried them all out extensively? Not many people could have done that. And personal preferences will always intervene.

wattsgallery
31-08-2010, 1:15pm
Can't offer a vote on that as I dont really know enough about some of the 'other' brands.

The real issue is glass (ie lenses). If you are buying an entry level camera (or even a second level one) you are likely to upgrade in the not too distant future. If you have expensive glass that will dictate if you stick to brand or not. If you have no intention of investing in good glass then the brand choice is pretty irrelevant just go with the one that feels best and offers the features you like most.

My personal experience was to choose Pentax because it was best bank for buck (back when I switched to DSLR). I switched to Canon a couple of years later (at the expense of funtionality) because (1) it had better lens options for wildlife, especially to hire (2) friends had Canon gear I could borrow (3) I was sick of being in the minority when it came to marketing, developments, literature, forums etc (up to you whether that is a positive or negative).

Good luck with your choice - but you can't really go wrong these days.

Cheers
Josh

RaoulIsidro
31-08-2010, 3:03pm
I would start with the two leading brands in the market with the most lenses and accesories, in equal bias.

bigdazzler
31-08-2010, 3:06pm
From a Nikon geek.. Go Sony! :th3:

but only full frame!!

:th3: AK knows ;)

There is only one reason, and its more of a minor annoyance rather than a major issue, that I would change from my choice of Sony FF. That is the PITA hotshoe issue, where I need adapters for my triggers/receivers. Given most of my work is off camera flash its a bit of a PITA. Other than that, entirely happy with my choice. All those lovely CZ lenses .... mmmm. :D

GlennSan
31-08-2010, 4:08pm
What Rick & Kym said basically. Doesn't really matter much. All the major brands are good. I've taken images I've really liked with many different brands over the years. I started with Nikon in 1980 so that's where most of my kit is today but it really doesn't matter. Toss a coin, throw a dart, go buy something and get shooting.

I do confess to envy for the Canon MP-E 65 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_MP-E_65mm_f/2.8_1-5x_Macro_lens) though for Macro work - your stated major interest. Research that before throwing the dart...

And after all, if you change your mind later, it's not like changing wives. Changing camera brands down the track won't leave you penniless ... :D

ving
31-08-2010, 4:33pm
My thoughts..go and buy a damn camera and use it! It is the photos that matter not what brand it came from. Anyone who gets to caught up in the 'brand' needs to get out more and take more photos!
I am with rick 99% on this! the best camera is the one that gets used... AND THAT IS IT!

the only real sugestion that I'd make to help someone buy a camera is if you want to use an MP-E65mm then you need to buy a canon :(, as no other brand makes a lens quite like this one.
apart from that it really doesnt matter as long as you use it. :Doh:

Bear Dale
31-08-2010, 5:09pm
DSLRs... Pentax is the best value

And Canon is just the best period :)

Kym
31-08-2010, 5:24pm
And Canon is just the best period :)

I'll bite... 645D !!! :cool:
At least :plogo: has some serious pro-gear :th3: :p :lol:

Snappytom
31-08-2010, 9:50pm
Thank You to all.
I have needed to ask so many questions and camera shops are too busy for little customers with only $2k to spend and too biased toward their best deal.
Your comments and advice are invaluable.
I really appreciate your time.
Cheers
SnappyTom :)
PS I am no closer to a decision tho!
But I must admit I am enjoying the hunt. I dont go away until October so am in no hurry.

MarkChap
02-09-2010, 3:46pm
Thank You to all.
I have needed to ask so many questions and camera shops are too busy for little customers with only $2k to spend and too biased toward their best deal.
Your comments and advice are invaluable.
I really appreciate your time.
Cheers
SnappyTom :)
PS I am no closer to a decision tho!
But I must admit I am enjoying the hunt. I dont go away until October so am in no hurry.

You are shopping at the wrong retailer in that case.

PH005
03-09-2010, 8:53am
[QUOTE=ricktas;666147]I have multiple brands too. Canon film camera, Nikon DSLR, Fuji and Olympus point n shoots, panasonic video camera.

It is the photos that matter not what brand it came from. Anyone who gets to caught up in the 'brand' needs to get out more and take more photos!

Well said. Ditto from me.

hoffy
03-09-2010, 8:58am
Considering the OP and my experiences.... I put down Nikon. Why?

When I bought my first Auto Focus camera 15 years ago, I looked at it this way. Nikon made the best higher end cameras. Canon and Minolta made the best consumer level cameras. Pentax made cheaper cameras that could be bought anywhere (all department stores stocked Pentax). Olympus where just weird. For me, Nikon was out of my price range, so it was between Canon and Minolta.

In reality, I actually haven't seen much difference (OK, substitute Minolta for Sony). Maybe Pentax has lifted their game, but in reality, similar principles apply.

SO, knowing what I know now, I would have to say that I would have stumped up the cash and bought a Nikon. Not that any of the other brands are rubbish, far from it, but I think there is something about Nikon, that at the top level, appeals to me more.

Cheers

junqbox
03-09-2010, 10:18am
Money no option? Hasselblad thank you.
Otherwise I'd continue with Nikon. Not that there's that much difference between Canon and Nikon other than general bias towards one or the other.

pgbphotographytas
04-09-2010, 11:48pm
All brands have positives and negatives, worry less about the brand of the camera and more about taking photos and learning how to get the best results out of it.

Paul

bigdazzler
05-09-2010, 12:50pm
All brands have positives and negatives, worry less about the brand of the camera and more about taking photos and learning how to get the best results out of it.

Paul

finally Pauly !!!! ;)

R1titan
05-09-2010, 1:27pm
Canon FTW, esp on value and range.

crafty1tutu
05-09-2010, 1:37pm
If I could afford it, I would have both Nikon and Canon and work out for myself which I prefer. I have friends who have Nikon and friends who have Canon and they both say their camera is "the best"/

OutCast
05-09-2010, 8:06pm
But if money is no option send me a new Hasselblad, but i think I would be living under the stars cause the house would have to goto pay for it.

Me to ... only played with one once... i noticed budget was not in the questions :)

Hawthy
06-09-2010, 9:37am
I started with a Pentax for two reasons. One, it was cheap - I am a notorious cheapskate. And two, Pentax cameras accept all K-Mount Pentax lenses so I was hoping to pick up some second hand lenses. However, if I had my time over and money was no issue I would probably choose a Nikon. This is based on nothing more than a boozy discussion with a professional photographer who I met at a function, who convinced me that they are the best small format DSLR.

JM Tran
06-09-2010, 10:22am
I started with a Pentax for two reasons. One, it was cheap - I am a notorious cheapskate. And two, Pentax cameras accept all K-Mount Pentax lenses so I was hoping to pick up some second hand lenses. However, if I had my time over and money was no issue I would probably choose a Nikon. This is based on nothing more than a boozy discussion with a professional photographer who I met at a function, who convinced me that they are the best small format DSLR.

that professional photographer is ignorant, no offence, even if he is under the influence:)

Longshots
06-09-2010, 11:05am
Well I wouldnt take anything from a boozed up person anyway :) I dont think that has much to do with a level of intelligence.

I started with Nikon. Moved to Canon because of 2 things, Canon were producing a better product at the time (16 years ago), and Nikons support in Australia was woeful - that's improved hugely now, and would say that support from both Canon and Nikon is on a par.

If I was shooting just weddings, then I would probably move back to Nikon because they have for some time now nailed low noise high ISO.

But on the other hand Canon _ which I use _ has been in front of the digital race and I personally believe that the camera I use at the moment to be really sensational. 5Dmk2 - for me does everything I want and expect.

Sure I'd like a substantially bigger sensor.

It comes down to who is currently providing the best product at the time of the decision to purchase. To be honest I dont think there is much in between Canon and Nikon.

If money was no object - just for the point of difference - ie your client doesnt have the same camera, then for me I'd choose - in order of preference:

1) A Leica S2 - beautiful, very few lenses though at the moment. Very impressive, but expensive. Fantastic quality feel though. Not a huge instantly obvious difference in Canon 5Dmk2 quality - did a side by side comparison recently. Was that difference enough to cough up $40K - yeah maybe if it was a good lotto win.

2) Phase One Camera with P65 back - not sure I'd want to go back to real medium format camera handling - would need a big win on lotto to justify 100K expenditure on camera, back, lenses to match my regular ones in use - plus some time back in the gym to handle the weight.

3) A Hasselblad - one that works consistently - too many friends who have ones that dont. Disappointingly plasticky in parts - dreadful screen that is shown up by compact cameras under $300.

Oh and for all of those choices, I'd have to probably double the cost of the camera body, as I'm one of those who always want a back up available :)

I @ M
18-10-2010, 6:55pm
Photographically speaking, we are in the infancy of the digital age when it comes to cameras but as we rush at a snails pace towards 2011 my answer to this question HAS to be entirely different to 12 months ago.
Then, it was a fairly clear cut decision, now I reckon my answer depends on another element in the equation ---- in which genre do you wish to specialise?
I see clear divisions in abilities between brands that didn't exist before.

matilda
18-10-2010, 7:33pm
i voted other.

other being Leica ;)

TOM
15-11-2010, 9:39pm
Matilda, that's not necessary. Any vote on which is the best brand always means "after Leica", it's just not usually stipulated. It's a bit like voting on "the best boxer of all time"......................after Muhammad Ali. ::th3:

ricktas
15-11-2010, 10:04pm
I am refraining from voting cause any decision made ends up being a biaised one, we all choose a brand for one reason or another, thus biaise. In the end the brand is unimportant, it is the skill of the person using the brand that makes or breaks the end result...the photo is what is important. I see no point in discussing that Leica is better than Pentax or that Canon is better than Hasselblad.

jjphoto
16-11-2010, 11:37am
This is a meaningless poll. Without specifying an application this is just like arguing about your favorite colour.

The single most FLEXIBLE option is probably a Canon but that isn't to say that Canon is 'better' (define 'better'), it's not. I have very few Canon lenses and a $hit load of third party lenses that I use on a Canon body because it's short register allows this more readily than some other cameras.

JJ

cupic
16-11-2010, 12:57pm
The more complex/modern body the more its user error when it doesnt perform to user standards ,so its a loaded poll :)

cheers

kiwi
16-11-2010, 1:02pm
For birding and long lens work of wildlife, I think Canon (lenses are cheaper)
For sport, weddings and events, I think Nikon (the ISO and AF is better)
For high fashion/studio - I think Canon, the primes are skin tone rendering is better

So, I would go Canon or Nikon. There's probably overall little in it.....the reason to go withe these two brands is range, availability (both new and 2nd hand), accessories, books, etc etc etc

pfb
17-11-2010, 1:55am
It's not like a car where you go with what your old man had and stick with it - my dad has always been a Nikon man, but years ago I saw one of the early Canon DSLRs and I just liked the way it looked, so when it came to picking my own camera I gravitated towards Canon. I still think they look better (not that it matters), but I also think the entry level Canons are better than the Nikons - the range is a bit simpler, and the build quality seems higher (less plastic-y, or however you describe the way it feels...)

hourican
18-11-2010, 9:53pm
Cannon have wider choice for full format lenses but I still think Nikon have the better build My current set up is D700 NIKON 50 F1.4 G 14-24 F2.8 24-70 F 2.8 70-200 F2.8 105 F2.8 MICRO 135 F2 D FOCUS SB900 x2 To change to Cannon at this point would hurt to say the least But i originally started with Cannon I am hopping an upgrade to the D700 comes out next year,with higher MEGS PLEASE !!
I F ONLY LENS WERE INTERCHANGABLE WITH ALL BODIES THE DREAM HAS YET TO BE REALISED.

Othrelos
24-11-2010, 5:28pm
I use Canon,Leica,Nikon and Pentax Digital SLR and RF cameras, and none of them does everything well enough for me to consider one over another. They all have their niche in which they all perform superbly, it all depends on what Image you want to create.

There is more to a camera than just it's image quality, Canon has their superb L primes, Nikon has their excellent Zoom lenses and legacy lenses with legendary reputations (the noct nikkor 58mm f/1.2 springs to mind) Leica being the most expensive option but the best for stealth availible light photography and Pentax with their diminutive, but excellent DA and fast, high quality FA limited lenses.

Camera bodies don't amount to much these days they depreciate faster than the used to, as far as i'm concerned me the thing that really matters is the lenses.

infl3xion
25-11-2010, 12:44pm
Hmm, taking into account this is directed at a starting point - I guess we should only be looking at entry level cameras?

I'd still go for Canikon just for the sake of availability.

Darey
08-01-2011, 12:30am
I'm too loyal. I'm loving my Nikon D7000 and will stick with Nikon for the foreseeable future.

Ross the fiddler
08-01-2011, 12:44am
I am refraining from voting cause any decision made ends up being a biaised one, we all choose a brand for one reason or another, thus biaise. In the end the brand is unimportant, it is the skill of the person using the brand that makes or breaks the end result...the photo is what is important. I see no point in discussing that Leica is better than Pentax or that Canon is better than Hasselblad.

Yeah, I'm not biased, I just like my Olympus gear. ;) :D

I bought the Olympus E410 to start with & gave it to my son when he kept using it & got the E520 with the 70-300 lens instead. I enjoyed some of the closeup photos I could get with that & finally after experimenting, got a decent macro lens & the E30 for its pro like features & RC (wireless) flash control but also the articulating screen for live view (which doesn't get used that much but still is useful) for some macro shots & above the heads of crowds type shooting (maybe I should get a P&S for those occasions). If I was looking now, there are other brands that could offer those features, but live view wasn't so common when I first looked at DSLRs & that was part of my initial priority. All brands are just getting better all the time & as others have said, buy the one that suits your style of photography & pocket ($) with the best offerings to go with it.

snoopy
12-01-2011, 5:54pm
I like Fuji. It is light weight, easy to use and for starting out it is inexpensive yet very versatile.

snoopy
12-01-2011, 6:06pm
I recently looked at up grading to a Fiji HS 10 as it is light weight, compact, easy to use and around $500 new. The biggest bonus with it is that it has everything built in, wide anle, 740 m zoom plus other great features so no need for cumbersom bags and excessories. No harm in having a look. Enjoy your holiday.;)

Ross the fiddler
12-01-2011, 6:40pm
I recently looked at up grading to a Fiji HS 10 as it is light weight, compact, easy to use and around $500 new. The biggest bonus with it is that it has everything built in, wide anle, 740 m zoom plus other great features so no need for cumbersom bags and excessories. No harm in having a look. Enjoy your holiday.;)

I've considered the HS10 as a light carry around camera but the higher ISO photos are quite disappointing. The new Fuji HS20 will be an EXR model & would be worth waiting for. Some bargains can be had with older models but new ones can be a big improvement on the previous model & I think this might be the case with this one. The EXR system extracts the best of the sensor in different ways for different applications & when set on Auto, will typically give you the best results. That's my impression of it anyhow.

PS See, I don't have an unbending bias for Olympus. ;) :D

pacogun
12-02-2011, 8:42am
It depends on your need and situation. For instance for easy travelling, I use P&S Panasonic TZ10, which got nearly everything I need. But for serious DSLR shooting, that would be different.

AnzacPride
15-02-2011, 11:16pm
Selling a range of a brands at a non specialist electronics chain it I chose Canon, a big part of this had to do with the fact that our sales rep is hot!.

I also heard once from a lady that walked a friend of mines dog that they were better for low light macro tilt shift subterainian work, which I might do one day if I take up sperlunking.

So thats why I chose Canon and why I believe anyone who chooses otherwise is morally and intellectuality lacking compared to me.

So anytime anyone mentions any of the other brands I will defend my choice by beliteling their choice of oviously inferior product so that I may feel better about my choices and what I believe that these choices say about the kind of person I am.

mal from cessnock
17-02-2011, 9:21pm
Board Members

Since buying my first Canon - a point and shoot G2 I have found myself psychologically locked into buying more Canon. I don't know if it was my "Nikon friend" who was so far up himself about his "brand" that I reacted to him and adopted Canon (Go figure).

I have now bought 4 Canon DSLRs and a bag full of goodies. Now I am financially locked into the brand.

But as I live, I learn and have discovered Nikon has a much better Speedlight technology and I rather like the greater control Nikon provide with "auto ISO".

No doubt I will continue to learn more - maybe I'll become more supportive of Canon - goodness knows I should, my database tells me I've now spent >$50g on this EOS interest :rolleyes:

Othrelos
27-02-2011, 7:06pm
"maybe I'll become more supportive of Canon - goodness knows I should, my database tells me I've now spent >$50g on this EOS interest"

50g's is a drop in the ocean compared to the investment my equipment collection represents. And if anything it has made me less loyal to any particular make of camera. If I don't like something about a camera, I don't complain about it. I just use a camera that suits the particular task I'm doing better. Using a rangefinder for macro work is a bit daft when you have access to a myriad of DSLR cameras with Macro lenses ranging from 50mm to 200mm and with SLR cameras at least you can see the focus errors coming. Oh sure, macro photography is possible with a rangefinder and many die-hards will try to nail me to the wall for saying a rangefinder isn't as capable as an SLR - but rangefinders are just much more specialised than SLR cameras are: and if Biology has taught me anything the more specialised something is the less likely it is ever going to become dominant in it's environment.

I @ M
27-02-2011, 7:35pm
"maybe I'll become more supportive of Canon - goodness knows I should, my database tells me I've now spent >$50g on this EOS interest"

50g's is a drop in the ocean compared to the investment my equipment collection represents.

Goodness me, all that gear, you must have a veritable million terrabytes of images to share and a healthy income to go along with it or do you have other interest like a fast food outlet franchise serving poultry originally from the USA?

mal from cessnock
27-02-2011, 7:42pm
Goodness me, all that gear, you must have a veritable million terrabytes of images to share and a healthy income to go along with it or do you have other interest like a fast food outlet franchise serving poultry originally from the USA?

Please, say again? What does photography equipment have to do with poultry from the USA?

I @ M
27-02-2011, 8:08pm
That is a very good question Mal.

I guess the answers may be varied but I guess in the long run;

Does a comprehensive gear list guarantee excellent images?

Is the expensive gear all paid for from purely photography?

Or is it bought by other business interests such as fried chicken outlets and the cost doesn't relate to the final image quality output.

Where do we poor people see the images all those cubic dollars of gear have produced?

Photophilanthropist
28-02-2011, 9:13pm
Honestly, I love my nikon dslrs because they sit well in my hands and the button layout is perfect for my big sexy fingers... When I got my first dslr all I new was that it was in most respects better than a compact. When I made my decision, nikon won over canon purely because it felt good in my hands... that's it. A lot of people forget that photography is an art form and the camera is the artist's tool to create. Forget brands, just go with what feels good in your hands and worry about all the other rubbish when you become corrupted like the rest of us, lol.;-)

Cheers