PDA

View Full Version : How Sprite proof is a 5DII?

Hokey
25-08-2010, 8:29pm
Hey.

For the first time ever, I put my camera in the center console of my car. My wife made me, against my wishes, as she was SURE some one was going to steal it out of the car while we went and had breakfast. At 7:00am on a Sunday morning. In Applecross!

Later that day she went out and got lunch at HJ's and ordered a Sprite... forgetting that they only do post-mix... which she hates. So she threw the Large heavily-sugared beverage into... yep... the console.

This afternoon I spent 45mins looking for my camera... and when I finally found it the thing was floating in a Sprite bath :-(

My wife says it is my fault, but as I have stopped talking to her I can't tell her to go and get &*(%$@_&_&^)^%%$%%&*()_!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hokey.

ricktas
25-08-2010, 8:32pm
Chances are it is cactus..sorry. Plain fresh water can be ok, as long as the battery is removed and the camera is not turned on at all. But salt water, sugary drinks are the enemy. Sadly I think you will find your camera will have gone the way of the dodo! Do you have it insured?

Xenedis
25-08-2010, 8:33pm
My understanding of the 5D's weather sealing is that it is intended to protect the camera against smallish splashes.

If the camera has had a "bath", I wouldn't count on it surviving. Take it from someone who has a destroyed 5D (the original) from a severe ocean splashing.

The salt would have been the most damaging ingredient there, but the extreme amount of liquid may well have shorted out the electronics.

Good luck with it; I know the pain of losing a camera due to liquid damage.

Hokey
25-08-2010, 8:39pm
Sounds about right, thanks guys :-(

I am going to send it to Canon, see if they can fix it. Under 'What is the problem' I think I will write "It just stopped working" lol.

ricktas
25-08-2010, 8:41pm
you could just write "it had to much to drink"

Hokey
25-08-2010, 9:03pm
you could just write "it had to much to drink"

LOL!