PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 ED f2.8 with VR ?

hancor
23-08-2010, 8:51pm
Hi everyone

I just wondering does or has anyone heard nikkor might bring out a new lens 24-70mm Ed f2.8 with VR or something similar as i have been waiting patiently for 6 months thinking if i buy the current model now a new model will come out next week. I realize the 24-70mm has proven in time to be best lens around, but VR would be nice!

TEITZY
23-08-2010, 9:07pm
I seriously doubt we will see a VR version in the near future. The 24-70 is already a heavy beast and VR would only make it bigger if they keep the same optical formula. If you don't need f2.8, the new 24-120VR f4 might suit your needs better.

Cheers
Leigh

Lani
23-08-2010, 9:38pm
I doubt it...been a lot of other rumours, but I have not heard the 24-70 mentioned. My experience with Nikon is you are far better to just jump in a buy a lens than wait around for new models, because you can never be sure what and when they will be released.
The recent 85 1.4 had been talked about for update for a long time and has only just eventuated....and still without vr!
I don't think you would regret the 24-70 as is. ;)

maccaroneski
23-08-2010, 10:04pm
Going by the price of 70-200's after the VRII was released you probably wouldn't lose too much in resale if a new model did come out... although you have already lost 6 months of quality lens use!

kiwi
23-08-2010, 10:18pm
Yeah, l can't see this being updated for years and years. It's already afs and nano coated with no known issues really. There are plenty of others in the range needing a refresh first.

laputa
24-08-2010, 11:43pm
with the newer camera producing less noise in high ISO, the VR is become less important too :)

RaoulIsidro
25-08-2010, 12:05am
Could it be possible, that because of the added VR (IS on Canon) slots in the elements grouping, the focal zoom range might be altered a bit, like it becoming a 24-85mm? Then it would have an odd zoom name? Just wondering out loudly...
Inserting VR and IS into an existing lens formula alters the whole lens design and it might not be that easy for those glass grounders in the lab?:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused013

Xebadir
25-08-2010, 12:09am
I find most of the time that I don't go looking or use VR on my 70-300...and I own a 24-70. Personally don't really feel the need for it, it would be nice, but I doubt Nikon will redo it this year or even next, and after the 85 I doubt it will have VR (seems like they dont want to bother with VR on focal lengths less than 105mm unless the max Fstop is of the 4 series).

I would buy it if you plan to buy it and not worry about model changes...if you were buying something which is known to be replaced soon (Say a D90 or maybe a D700) I might suggest wait, but I really dont see Nikon fiddling with what is already an excellent lens.