PDA

View Full Version : Filter Question

Trecky
16-08-2010, 8:43pm
I have a Canon 70-200 L lens, an 18-55 kit lens and am now looking at a Canon 100mm L lens.

Can anyone tell me if they use a UV filter for protection.
I have seen these two advertised form DDP on the net. Hoya Super Pro 1 Multi-coated UV Filter and a Hoya Multi-coated UV Filter.
There is quite a difference in price though.

I know I will need to also get a circular polariser filter as well, but will hold off a little bit on that.

I have read so much on the pros and cons of using a UV filter. It seems quite confusing.

Thanks

Longshots
16-08-2010, 8:54pm
The 100m L Lens would be an excellent buy.

However, to go against the grain, I have a fairly large investment in filters, and yet rarely use them these days.

Trecky
16-08-2010, 9:12pm
Thanks William, don't want to waste money if I don't have to.

Cheers.

Longshots
16-08-2010, 9:20pm
The 100 macro is the best lens I have and I have the older Canon version. Its my best lens :)

Xenedis
16-08-2010, 10:05pm
Please see the following thread for some discussion about UV filters.

I've gone into a fair amount of detail about the use of those filters.

In short, don't bother -- specifically, don't.

For more details, see http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=63081.

Trecky
16-08-2010, 10:06pm
Wow that's good to know. I have been tossing up for so long as to whether I pay more for the L lens and have just decided that's the way I will go. Either way from what I have seen, both are fantastic lenses.
Now I just have to work out what filters if any I need to get for my lenses.

Cheers

Trecky
16-08-2010, 10:08pm
Please see the following thread for some discussion about UV filters.

I've gone into a fair amount of detail about the use of those filters.

In short, don't bother -- specifically, don't.

For more details, see http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=63081.

Thanks Xenedis, that's what I need to read. Will certainly have a look at what you have written.