PDA

View Full Version : CFL lighting

vk2gwk
04-08-2010, 11:56am
On eBay I came across this set (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/8-HEAD-PHOTOGRAPHIC-VIDEO-CONTINUOUS-LIGHTS-KIT-2400W-/300387438236?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item45f07c8e9c)for just about $ 200 (incl. shipping).

I wonder if there is anyone with experience with this particular seller and these lights.
How would 2 x 4 x 50W CFL work out. I am not a professional and would like this as additional light for my small object photography (and maybe the odd portrait).

vk2gwk
05-08-2010, 12:01pm
No one?

JM Tran
05-08-2010, 12:06pm
they will be very very weak in terms of lighting the subject and the lighting will be less appealing than using studio strobes against a back drop

but if you are using it primarily on a casual and fun basis, 200 bucks plus shipping is not bad!

bigdazzler
05-08-2010, 7:40pm
mmm .. for product stuff maybe, but people photography .. no, I wouldnt.

Youve already got a couple of nice flash options in your sig so Im a bit confused as to why youd be interested in spending money on these things.

OzzieTraveller
06-08-2010, 9:29am
G'day Henk

From a qwik look at the ref site, I feel "a bit both ways" here

SO -
2x lamp units is okay
each lamp unit has 4 bulbs

As I understand it, these fluoro bulbs have an equivalent output equal to "double the old bulbs" ... so 4 x 50w here gives the same as 4 x 100w of the old bulbs ... therefore you are shooting with an equivalent of 2 light units each giving the equiv of 400watts of output

From experience, 400watts of light is okay for home use / small use, as to using ISO-400 for a decent exposure as well.
Sure - flash is superb, quick & often quite powerful, but expensive when compared with this option

Your sig says that you have several flash guns available - okay for lots of things
If you want some floodlights, go & get these and give them a good going over
If the really don't suit you, then I'm sure that you can find another use for them :)

Go for it and have fun
Regards, Phil