PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and Internet Security

Cage
04-08-2010, 11:54am
I have just downloaded and installed Firefox 3.6.8 to use with this website.

Do I need another anti-virus program, ie a stand-alone program for Firefox, or will my current program (Microsoft Security Essentials) also check Firefox.

Thanks

Kevin

I @ M
04-08-2010, 12:37pm
Kevin, there are quite a few capable free anti virus programs out there and we use AVG as it seems to do the job and doesn't consume a ton of resources. It does slow the pc down a bit when performing a scheduled scan but hardly noticeable.

In the 12 months or so that I have had it on this machine it has detected two viruses and "dealt" with them and I can't say as I know of any that have slipped through. It has also "warned" about dodgy sites that contain malicious code on a few occasions.

Also consider using Mozilla Thunderbird as your email program, it seems to do an effective job of blocking unwanted garbage.

AVG can be downloaded at ------- http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

ving
04-08-2010, 12:54pm
also consider Avast AV. I have been using it for a while now and its practically non-intrusive. that said i cant imagine that you'd need another AV proggy if you already have one and asking you to change would just be showing anti-MS sentiment. :D

mercho
04-08-2010, 3:54pm
Hi Kevin,

Your current software should do the trick. We have recently rolled out MS Scurity Essentials for all our work laptops (Gov Organisation) that aren't on our network often and it seems to do the trick.

In saying that I use AVG at home and have never had an issue with it..

One piece of advise though as it sounds your a little bit new with Anti Virus, DON'T install two different brands of AV software. Some people seem to think it creates more protection, but they will more than likely end up detecting each other as virus', causing a world of headaches!!

Cage
04-08-2010, 4:12pm
Thanks all.

Brad, the question did sound a little newbie didn't it. I also have IE8 and the thought crossed my mind that MSE may only check it's own browser. I also used AVG for many years up until I installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit and from memory there was a compatibility gliche.

Cheers

Kevin

mercho
04-08-2010, 4:27pm
Thanks all.

Brad, the question did sound a little newbie didn't it. I also have IE8 and the thought crossed my mind that MSE may only check it's own browser. I also used AVG for many years up until I installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit and from memory there was a compatibility gliche.

Cheers

Kevin

No worries, sorry didn't mean to offend, its just that I have seen it done a few times :th3:

Charmed
04-08-2010, 4:42pm
MSE will be fine.
Also consider dloading CCleaner (free) & get into the habit of running that once a week.

I use to have AVG.
MSE seems to do a better job IMO

dieselpower
04-08-2010, 5:11pm
Firefox scans its downloads with microsoft security essentials just fine. I've been using it since it was in beta over 12 months ago and am very happy with it.