PDA

View Full Version : IE & CS3 see things differently ???

Cage
03-08-2010, 7:10am
This is a comment I posted in this thread.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=63531

"Mt Sonder looked rather washed out, but when I saved it and opened it in Adobe Bridge CS3 it jumped off the screen at me.
Must lose a lot of contrast in the resizing process."

I thought later about my comment re the lack of contrast and colour and now speculate that IE could be the culprit.
What is still confusing me though is that I 'saved' the pic from IE, but when I opened it in CS3 it looked noticeably different. I obviously didn't save the pic as depicted in IE so did I save from the OP's link?

Should I consider Firefox or similar for truer photo interpretation.

It makes you stop and think before posting any CC, because it is obvious we are not all looking at the same thing.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kevin

davidd
03-08-2010, 9:28am
I just tried it out by opening the photos in IE and Firefox in two windows, the version in Firefox is much better, the colours pop more. I have been using Firefox for a few months but never realized the difference in colour before!

Cage
03-08-2010, 9:52am
Thanks for that David.

At least I know I'm not imagining things. The ground in IE looked a brownish/beige colour but in CS3 the real red ochre colour is evident.

Cheers

Kevin

ricktas
03-08-2010, 10:01am
what version of IE are you using? Firefox has been colourspace aware for some time, in that it would read the colourspace in a JPG file and use that colourspace to display the photo on screen. IE traditionally is not colourspace aware, and then assumes all photos are in sRGB. If a photo that is in the AdobeRGB colourspace is assumed to be sRGB by your browser and it then displays it based in 'thinking' it is sRGB, it will look washed out. Most other browers, safari, chrome etc are also colourspace aware. I think the latest version of IE is as well, but in the past it has not been.

Xenedis
03-08-2010, 10:04am
This sounds suspiciously like a colour profile problem.

I would believe what you see in Bridge or Photoshop over what the browser shows you.

I had a similar issue with Firefox not long ago after an upgrade. Its displaying of my images was out of whack. When I configured Firefox to use my monitor's colour profile, it then displayed the images consistently with what Photoshop was displaying.

I have no idea how you would make such a configuration change in IE, but the issue does sound like a colour profile problem.

Cage
03-08-2010, 10:23am
Thanks Rick & Exenedis

I'm running Windows 7 64bit with IE8 and all updates are current.

I just checked the photo in question and the metadata shows the colour profile as RGB. You both picked it in one.

If I could remember how I set that up I'd let the OP know.

Cheers

Kevin