PDA

View Full Version : New old lens

Mircula
25-07-2010, 9:12pm
Hello,

I recently bought an old Canon 100-300 5.6L lens 2nd hand.

It is over 10 years old and looks like it as well....

I finally managed to remove the uv filter, which was quite a challenge.

Now I noticed that there is not only dust underneath the filter, but also underneath the glas. Kind of inside the lens I guess. Is there any way to remove that dust somehow?

I attached a couple of pictures and I cannot see any sign of the dust on them. But not sure if I will in other shots.

What do you think of the IQ of that lens? I think it is really sharp and great colors, but i never used any L lens before so can only compare it to my other lenses. What do you recon?

Is there any way to find out when the lens was manufactured? A serial number or similar?

Thank you for your help!!!!

Cheers,

Mirc.

Cage
25-07-2010, 9:57pm
If I was you, I'd just pat myself on the back for a good buy and some good first shots.

I can't see any problems with either shot.

And remember the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Cheers

Kevin

rwg717
25-07-2010, 10:02pm
I really can't see much wrong with this lens, its taken a pretty sharp pair of shots here:th3:
And yes, there is a link to ageing Canon lenses, I posted the thread some time ago, will see if I can find it for you?:D
Richard

rwg717
25-07-2010, 10:04pm
I think this is the most direct link:-

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx

Cheers Richard

Mircula
25-07-2010, 10:11pm
cool, thank you very much.

Lens was manufactured in August 1994 in Utsunomiya, Japan.

About the dust problem. Might not bis visible in these shots but maybe in other ones with different apertures or so....

Looking forward to some more comments, especially on the IQ :)

Just as a side note, anybody knows what this lens is worth?

rwg717
25-07-2010, 10:31pm
cool, thank you very much.

Lens was manufactured in August 1994 in Utsunomiya, Japan.

About the dust problem. Might not bis visible in these shots but maybe in other ones with different apertures or so....

Looking forward to some more comments, especially on the IQ :)

Just as a side note, anybody knows what this lens is worth?

No idea what the lens would be worth but back to the dust problem, don't worry about it if the IQ isn't suffering. One of AP's members posted a thread some months ago with a link to a web-site showing test shots with lenses which had their objective lenses smashed with a hammer!!!
Quite difficult to detect IQ problems on many of the shots taken, particularly when you see the close-ups of the damage inflicted on the lens, you could try a search on AP for the original thread??:confused013
Richard

rwg717
26-07-2010, 10:09pm
This is sort of what I had in mind about links to articles about objective lens scratches:-

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches

There is another better one somewhere, couldn't find it though:confused013
Richard

simonw
27-07-2010, 1:51am
I have never had any L glass either, but I would be stoked with that kind of IQ. Maybe take some shot of a plain white object (Piece of paper?) at different focal lengths and aperture settings and see if the dust turns up... If nothing else, at least you will know which settings not to use!

Mircula
27-07-2010, 10:18am
Richard, thank you for the link, really interesting!!!

And thanks to everybody else for the comments as well.

Are there any L lens users who could give me some estimate on the IQ of the lens?

Cheers.

mikec
27-07-2010, 1:01pm
Are there any L lens users who could give me some estimate on the IQ of the lens?

It's pretty hard to judge from reduced images. I wouldn't be too worried though, considering the age of the lens. If it out performs your 70-300 then who cares?

Darinpix
27-07-2010, 1:27pm
Dust on the lens is not really a big problem - generally would be so out of focus as to have no effect whatsoever. Dust on the sensor is another story, of course.

I really like the second image too - very clean lines, strong composition.

Enjoy the lens!