PDA

View Full Version : tripod what do you think?

britinozz
25-07-2010, 10:10pm
what do you think of this tripod is it suitble for a canon 50d.
GIOTTO’S Carbon Fiber Tripod PRO MT8351 Ex cond!!**
!!!

Kym
25-07-2010, 10:32pm
If its tall enough - probably brilliant.
http://www.giottos.com/MT-9.htm
At the bottom of the page is the 8351 spec.

My 055 is taller... http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/14791?livid=68|69&idx=71

You don't want to rely on the centre pole being fully extended.

britinozz
25-07-2010, 10:56pm
Thanks it was for sale on ebay its gone now i think im gonna get the 055 any way.

RaoulIsidro
26-07-2010, 7:58pm
One of the things to consider in buying "into" a tripod brand is the modular expandability of the system.
When buying a tripod brand, consider also that the brand name has a large repertoire of modular gear. Just like buying into Canon and Nikon where you are buying into a system of 100's of lenses and accesories.
The #055 is a brilliant modular design that is just genius.
I use it as a light stand to hold a reflective umbrella with mounted wireless speedlight, or even a medium softlight box. I remove the Manfrotto light stand bracket system via QR (quick release plate) and plop in my camera to make it a normal tripod! All in 5 seconds!
The latest magazine ads of Canon shows a 5Dmk2 mounted on a silver #055.
Cheers!

Chayelle
29-07-2010, 4:03am
One of my tripods is the Feisol CT-3342...
Very nice and lightweight. Just what I wanted for smaller lenses.
I use the Markins Q-3 ballhead (smallest Markins ballhead).
It does a very good job with good stability.

stillshunter
29-07-2010, 6:08am
Another vote here for the 055. Solid as a rock, a great height, and the horizontal centre column system has come in very handy indeed (even though I never thought I'd need it:confused013) . Funny thing is that I bought my tripod thinking with the demands of my set-up at the time in mind, so worked on about 4kg holding capacity. Well, photography is a funny beast and I ended up with huge zooms, TCs, flashes, etc. Now I'm glad I went a little conservative with my measure. The Manfrotto 055 deals with it perfectly! So my advice is: don't think of the immediate needs with your tripod purchase, but where you might be the "world of wants" in a few years time....

Oh yeah and make sure the head - I went a ballhead - carries double or triple what you need. I scored a Giottos MH-3300. This thing is built like a mace and can hold 30kgs....Never given me a problem. Just remember THIS is the weakest point of the whole system. :th3:

krvins
29-07-2010, 3:54pm
+1 for the 055. Very important, as noted above, to have a tripod you can work comfortably with without constantly bending down or extending the centre column, especially if you're doing a lot of landscape or low light photography. For maximum rigidity I'd go with the 055(CX)PRO3 instead of the PRO4.

On the other hand if you're planning on doing a lot of hiking with your camera kit and don't want to be burdened with the weight and bulk of the 055, have a look at the 190 series.

flyfisher
06-08-2010, 9:54pm
I too am in the market for a new set of legs and I have decided that Carbon Fibre is the way to go due to their strength and lighter weight. In my search I found this very handy table done by Sandeep Sebastin from Singapore - Jan 2010 so reasonably up to date. The link is: blog.reddotphoto.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/cf_pdf.pdf

kiwi
06-08-2010, 10:03pm
why do you need a tripod for ? I dont use one

Art Vandelay
06-08-2010, 10:44pm
why do you need a tripod for ? I dont use one

What's a tripod anyway ?